Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I see that the Tango update will be available tomorrow. In the description it says the Trophy will be Wi-Fi hot spot capable. I still have the unlimited data plan, will the Wi-Fi hot spot use the data I am already paying for, or will Verizon charge me for this seperately?

Thanks

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bney0215 View Post
    I see that the Tango update will be available tomorrow. In the description it says the Trophy will be Wi-Fi hot spot capable. I still have the unlimited data plan, will the Wi-Fi hot spot use the data I am already paying for, or will Verizon charge me for this seperately?

Thanks
    yes youll need to add the separate hotspot unless you switch to a metered plan with hotspot, share everything which includes hotspot.
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,316 Global Posts
    Has anyone seen this pushing yet?

I'm updating my phone right now. I had to manually check for the update using Zune software, but as of 1025 (PST) it is updating.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Update installed and now I have Internet Sharing in my Settings menu.

Evidently it's a two part update for those who haven't made it there yet....still waiting. Since I'm grandfathered in on the "Unlimited data" plan, I'm wondering if I'll have the Internet Sharing option without changing my plan. Will update momentarily.

EDIT: Three part update? I wasn't paying too much attention, but I think it was:

1 - Tango - all windows updates?
    2 - VZW update - enables messaging enhancements
    3 - HTC update - no desciption, link takes you to WP update FAQ
    Last edited by crazie; 08-01-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: More info
    Just started updating (tango) go to zune and checked for it i found it there, it did not come to my phone.

Looks like a three part update actually. I'm on update 3 now..

Quote Originally Posted by Grubish360 View Post
    Looks like a three part update actually. I'm on update 3 now..
    Yeah...I updated my post about the same time you were posting. I'm waiting on 3 as well.

OK, so Internet sharing is there, but I have bad news for anyone on an unlimited plan (It's the only one I can confirm).....

It looks like everything works, but you'll have to pay $20/month to actually use the browser or data functions of any connected device. I confirmed this with my wireless laptop and my Zune HD.

See attached for full disapopintment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tether_brick_wall_1.jpg   tether_brick_wall_2.jpg  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie View Post
    Evidently it's a two part update for those who haven't made it there yet....still waiting. Since I'm grandfathered in on the "Unlimited data" plan, I'm wondering if I'll have the Internet Sharing option without changing my plan. Will update momentarily.

EDIT: Three part update? I wasn't paying too much attention, but I think it was:

1 - Tango - all windows updates?
    2 - VZW update - enables messaging enhancements
    3 - HTC update - no desciption, link takes you to WP update FAQ
    Hopefully the htc update fixes my rebooting problem.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Done updating
    os version 7.10.8773.98
    firmware revision # 2305.13.302.605
    hope i have it all?
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,316 Global Posts
    Well that stinks. You'd think if we were grandfathered in or paying for unlimited, that's exactly what it means... Unlimited data. Doesn't matter if it is coming via phone or wifi attached laptop. It still has to go through the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jleebiker View Post
    Well that stinks. You'd think if we were grandfathered in or paying for unlimited, that's exactly what it means... Unlimited data. Doesn't matter if it is coming via phone or wifi attached laptop. It still has to go through the phone.
    I agree. I don't even get up to 250 MB most months on my unlimited plan. Wish this would have come out sooner so I could have gotten a $30 2 GB plan. Now I would have to switch to a share plan which is much more expensive than I have now.
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,316 Global Posts
    Mine is updating now too. Agree with those above that report it is a multi-patch update.
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,316 Global Posts
    Yep. Just finished all updates and went to use it as a hotspot and it redirects you to a page to sign up for this new service for a fee.
    Let's do a search to see who called this. That eventually it would be available, but would be for a fee. Ready, set go!
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,316 Global Posts
    All kidding aside, what improvements are there?
    1) Internet connection sharing
    2) Ability to attach multiple pics to a text message

What else?

Quote Originally Posted by Jleebiker View Post
    All kidding aside, what improvements are there?
    1) Internet connection sharing
    2) Ability to attach multiple pics to a text message

What else?
    I believe you can also attach videos and ringtones to a text message. Other than that, I'm not really sure.
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,316 Global Posts
    Attaching a video I can see, but a ringtone?

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I hope oh so very much that this does fix my rebooting problem as well. It probably won't but I can still dream...

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebornempowered View Post
    I agree. I don't even get up to 250 MB most months on my unlimited plan. Wish this would have come out sooner so I could have gotten a $30 2 GB plan. Now I would have to switch to a share plan which is much more expensive than I have now.

you can still add the $20 tether option since it goes along with the unlimited data. should be able to add through my verizon website if youd rather not have a person touch the account.

I have the grandfathered unlimited plan and I didn't get any errors or notifications when I enabled hotspot. I didn't test it on my computer but rather my wife's phone connected via WiFi. It worked fine and successfully navigated to several sites on her phone. I'll have to try on the PC and see if I get different results.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Three failed attempts to install. Probably because I forced the last Verizon update. Not willing to do a hard reset just for tethering. Will use the wife's iPhone for that.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

For all those who are grandfathered in on an unlimited data plan.....

For anyone tethering: They know you're tethering because of a setting in your PST that sees data go through dun.vzw3g.com, rather than vzw3g.com. They know you're tethering. Will they do anything about it? Probably not. But, I don't take any chances. Here's what you do:

Dial ##778.
    Edit Mode.
    000000 (six zeroes).
    M.IP Default Profile.
    DUN NAI.
    Change it from YOURNUMBER@dun.vzw3g.com to YOURNUMBER@vzw3g.com -- In other words, you're deleting the text "dun."
    OK.
    Menu >
    Commit Modifications.

Your phone will reboot. From now on (potentially until/if you ever flash another PB00IMG.zip that you'd normally have to *228 for), you will channel all your tethering through vzw3g.com instead of dun.vzw3g.com.

As far as Verizon is watching, you're moving all that data right into your phone, and not tethering.
    I take no credit, except for trying it. Follow the instructions exactly and it works like a charm. This post was written with my iPad tethered tony Trophy. Source link below:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-e...tethering.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie View Post
    OK, so Internet sharing is there, but I have bad news for anyone on an unlimited plan (It's the only one I can confirm).....

It looks like everything works, but you'll have to pay $20/month to actually use the browser or data functions of any connected device. I confirmed this with my wireless laptop and my Zune HD.

See attached for full disapopintment.
    What about yesterday's FCC ruling and the $1.2M fine against Verizon for charging a fee ($20) for tethering. Word is they can only charge that fee for grandfathered unlimited plans, but they can't determine your plan when tethering. At least not on Androids. May have to wait a few days for them to tear down the walls.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast