GDR2 update on W1 - Strange Huawei reply

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I just got an answer from the Greek Huawei FB group, concerning GDR2:

"Due to technical problems, this update is not available for the moment..."

I suppose this answer applies to the rest of the world, not only Greece...

I also sent an e-mail to mobile@huawei.com asking about GDR2. This is the Huawei Device Customer Care Team.
Of course, they didn't spend more than 30 seconds, they suggested to contact local Huawei...
What a funny way to shrug their shoulders ;)
Look for developer communities, they may have ROMs for Huawei.

TheRealGiova

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
You are right, but if they skip also gdr3? If they could skip an update, they can do it twice.. The problem is that nobody knows nothing about the GDR2 update for this device. If you ask on FB/TW page of Huawei they won't answer... The only thing we know is that chinese and english w1 has recived this update..

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
If they will skip GDR2 update for Worldwide release and release the GDR3 instead, it would be okay for me.

You are right, but if they skip also gdr3? If they could skip an update, they can do it twice.. The problem is that nobody knows nothing about the GDR2 update for this device. If you ask on FB/TW page of Huawei they won't answer... The only thing we know is that chinese and english w1 has recived this update..

If Huawei will also skip GDR3, well fu*k them! Microsoft should revoke their license soon if that happens.

You can fool a customer sometimes, but not everytime.
Huawei will loose sales in long term, well atleast wp8 sales, they do sell a lot of droid phones [p6 is a good model].

Thanasis1968

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I give up...

Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Huawei device.
Having checked your current version is already the latest version, so you can’t do the upgrade according.
Please kindly concern our website for any news.
Once again thank you for contacting Huawei device.
Best Regards.
Huawei Device Customer Care Team.

发件人: Thanasis Papanastasiou [mailto:xxx@gmail.com]
发送时间: 2013年10月10日 17:44
收件人: 'mobile'
主题: RE: URGENT - Huawei W1 issue

Thank you for your reply, these are my settings:

Model: HUAWEI W1-U00
OS version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware: 1030.5612.00000.05610
Hardware: HD1U8835M Ver.B
Chip SOC: 8230

Regards
Thanasis Papanastasiou

Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:34 PM
To: 'Thanasis Papanastasiou'
Subject: 答复: URGENT - Huawei W1 issue

Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Huawei device.
Would you please kindly provide us your current software version for our further check?
1. Settings
2. About phone
3. Built number
Once again thank you for contacting Huawei device.
Best Regards.
Huawei Device Customer Care Team.

发件人: Thanasis Papanastasiou [mailto:xxx@gmail.com]
发送时间: 2013年10月8日 22:35
收件人: mobile@huawei.com
主题: URGENT - Huawei W1 issue

Hi

I have a Huawei W1. In some days my phone will be useless because of the “other folder” problem. It will be solved if you deliver the Windows Mobile GDR2 update.

See more details here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/huawei-ascend-w1/242022-gdr2-update-w1-strange-huawei-reply.html

Please take actions for this critical problem.

Regards
Thanasis Papanastasiou

pdplatypus

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
What the F*CK IS HUAWEI DOING? I went to a several Huawei service centers here in the Philippines and they act so stupid as if they do not know that an Ascend W1 exists in their product line up.

UPDATE: I just called Globe Telecom (9:30PM PST +8) Customer Care and they said that they do not release any WP8 updates for any brand. I just did this since Microsoft referred me to call a mobile carrier.
Globe Telecom offers Nokia 520, 620, 820 and Huawei W1 for their postpaid plans.

It is unfair that they only gave the update to UK and some countries where the phone is branded.

I'll try to call Huawei Philippines main office tomorrow so at least we can know their real reason behind this brouhaha.

Last edited:

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
What the F*CK IS HUAWEI DOING? I went to a several Huawei service centers here in the Philippines and they act so stupid as if they do not know that an Ascend W1 exists in their product line up.

UPDATE: I just called Globe Telecom (9:30PM PST +8) Customer Care and they said that they do not release any WP8 updates for any brand. I just did this since Microsoft referred me to call a mobile carrier.
Globe Telecom offers Nokia 520, 620, 820 and Huawei W1 for their postpaid plans.

It is unfair that they only gave the update to UK and some countries where the phone is branded.

I'll try to call Huawei Philippines main office tomorrow so at least we can know their real reason behind this brouhaha.

Install this storage management ROM
Latest Huawei Ascend W1 ROM includes Storage Manager | WMPoweruser
(Please don't ask me how), I have nothing against anyone here, but I hate the way Huawei does business.

In that case you can flash your phone to UK ROM (I hope this video is correct?)

Huawei Asend W1 - Debranding, unbranding, flashing a new ROM - YouTube

pdplatypus

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
As much as I want to, I will not do it since I don't want to do it since I want to experience how WP8 does its updates. It is just disturbing that the GDR2 update can only be received by those who are in UK. If Huawei will announce that they will skip GDR2 updates like what HTC did, I will still understand them.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
As much as I want to, I will not do it since I don't want to do it since I want to experience how WP8 does its updates. It is just disturbing that the GDR2 update can only be received by those who are in UK. If Huawei will announce that they will skip GDR2 updates like what HTC did, I will still understand them.

Did you check my above response?

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
in other words, you were trolled by Huawei. lol
I guess some phone makers just want the money from the phone and don't really care supporting it after that. that's something you should learn, especially if you are behind a carrier, and then the phone maker nor the carrier care much about updating anything, probably they know most people wont update their phones anyway, so they just don't care about it.

lupenyk

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I asked Huawei Czech Republic about GDR2:

Huawei Device CZ / SK
23 hours ago ?

Hello, I would like to ask when it will be available for Ascend W1 GDR2 or if it skips directly to GDR3? Or, Huawei has discontinued support? I know that in England they have already GDR2 two months, I also know that updates create Microsoft but Huawei must send it to customers. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Huawei Device CZ / SK Hello Luke, GDR2 is currently under development and soon will be available to users of the operator O2 and then for others. Have a nice day. Mirek

Using Google Translator

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I asked Huawei Czech Republic about GDR2:

Huawei Device CZ / SK
23 hours ago ?

Hello, I would like to ask when it will be available for Ascend W1 GDR2 or if it skips directly to GDR3? Or, Huawei has discontinued support? I know that in England they have already GDR2 two months, I also know that updates create Microsoft but Huawei must send it to customers. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Huawei Device CZ / SK Hello Luke, GDR2 is currently under development and soon will be available to users of the operator O2 and then for others. Have a nice day. Mirek

Using Google Translator

Lol, seems he is barely interested in having a meaningful conversation

soon = could be a day, a week, a month, a year or forever.

TheRealGiova

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
And now, all the existing device are able to install the GDR3 preview, except us obviously.. Damn me when i decided to buy the Ascend w1 instead of the 620.. I'm disappointed a lot guys.. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb