newbie thinking of switching questions

kelton

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey.

I'd love a phone that integrates automatically and natively with a Windows PC. The iPhone has that advantage with Apple computers. Android does OK, but it's big selling point is it's natural integration with all things Google.

I know almost nothing about the current state of affairs with Mango, so if you could send me to an informative link, I'd love it.

Questions:
1. Does the Windows phone (Mango), integrate nicely with google (specifically...gmail and calendar sync)?
2. Does the Windows phone have a native "Office" app that deals with office documents without messing up the formatting? (my stuff isn't formatted too terribly fancy... but it is stunning the way Google Docs screws up even the simplest stuff)
3. Is Mango nicely integrated with Live accounts? For example, can I access and store things on Skydrive? Can I upload docs to the Live account? What about using Live's photo sharing? In other words, can I do all the things that I can already do with google?
4. Is dropbox working properly with Windows phone?
5. Are there any other common cloud systems which are frustratingly not-supported on Windows phones? (Flickr, Picasa, etc.)

Thanks

Last edited:

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey.

I'd love a phone that integrates automatically and natively with a Windows PC. The iPhone has that advantage with Apple computers. Android does OK, but it's big selling point is it's natural integration with all things Google.

I know almost nothing about the current state of affairs with Mango, so if you could send me to an informative link, I'd love it.

Questions:
1. Does the Windows phone (Mango), integrate nicely with google (specifically...gmail and calendar sync)?
2. Does the Windows phone have a native "Office" app that deals with office documents without messing up the formatting? (my stuff isn't formatted too terribly fancy... but it is stunning the way Google Docs screws up even the simplest stuff)
3. Is Mango nicely integrated with Live accounts? For example, can I access and store things on Skydrive? Can I upload docs to the Live account? What about using Live's photo sharing? In other words, can I do all the things that I can already do with google?
4. Is dropbox working properly with Windows phone?
5. Are there any other common cloud systems which are frustratingly not-supported on Windows phones? (Flickr, Picasa, etc.)

Thanks

I wonder if I can type this reply before WeeBear or Se1fcr3ation... Hopefully they are too distracted by the funny commercials that I beat them to it...

1. WP7 integrates great with Google contacts and Gmail. I actually prefer to sync my contact list with Google instead of Live
2. Yes... It has Office Word/PowerPoint/Excel for free :)
3. Yes, you can store all your stuff on the Skydrive. Accessing the files is a bit annoying from your WP7 at this time, but it auto-uploads your pictures and your office docs all sync automatically.
4. I don't use dropbox...
5. Cloud services... like what..? It will never sync with iCould. lol - With Windows 8 I bet there will be a big increase in cloud services, and I bet most will be more compatible with Windows Phone.

Reactions: ikkf

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if I can type this reply before WeeBear or Se1fcr3ation... Hopefully they are too distracted by the funny commercials that I beat them to it...

ROLF!!! ;) i have to work SOME TIMES... but that commercials did distract me ;)

WELCOME TO WP7 btw ... hopefully...

kelton

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.

I'm seeking.

The Android forum looks like a cluster of confusion, crashes, battery life issues, lousy cameras, and reception issues.

I suppose I'm a windows guy and everyone in my work is using office products, so I'd love to have a phone that plays nice with office documents.

Oh... I meant to ask.
Is it possible to make a Windows phone a "wifi hotspot"?

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.

I'm seeking.

The Android forum looks like a cluster of confusion, crashes, battery life issues, lousy cameras, and reception issues.

I suppose I'm a windows guy and everyone in my work is using office products, so I'd love to have a phone that plays nice with office documents.

Oh... I meant to ask.
Is it possible to make a Windows phone a "wifi hotspot"?

Currently.. No hotspot... Mango might have it, but it will cost extra like a non-rooted Android and iphone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
ok on the Hotspot.... I'm with Verizon.

I can deal with paid hotspot... especially if 4g/LTE.

The only Verizon WP7 right now is the trophy and I'm not sure that it will work as a WiFi hotspot with mango.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
In response to the OP: One caveat, I am running Mango Beta, but shortly everyone will get Mango.
-WP integrates beautifully with Live. I have a personal and business account (and two other mail accounts) and contacts, calendar & todo's all sync.
-Office integrates well and with Mango you can easily sync office files with SkyDrive. OneNote 2010 syncs with your PC, through SkyDrive, so anything you enter on either device immediately updates on the other.
-I have about 8 apps that sync/backup to Dropbox and they are work great. Very easy to move files to and from DB, or send links to files vi email.
-Zune software (on your PC) syncs up all your photos, videos and music to your device. Zune Pass is probably the best music service available, costing as little as $12.50/month, with 10 downloads to keep per month (so more like $2.50/month) and unlimited downloads/streaming.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo