New to Windows OS "experience"...

jogers2112

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey all! Just recently started to consider switching from iphone to a WP7 device, (yeah I know...heard that before, right)? Anyway, I do have concerns regarding the differences relating to the WP7 OS versus IOS. I am not by any means an expert in this particular subject matter, however I do know enough to realize that both offer different yet benificial options/experiences, (generally speaking). AT&T contract will expire in April and I am currently interested in the HTC TITAN II that was recently announced, (CES I think?), so I was hoping to receive some general input/advice regarding:

Stability of platform (WP7)
Integration (e-mail accounts particularly YAHOO)
Voice Mail
Speed
Web Browsing (You tube performance, FLASH issues, etc...)

Yeah...I'm asking alot I know, but based on prior experience, I have had some experience with the Adroid OS so I have had to learn a hard lesson...ASK QUESTIONS before making the commitment. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

Welcome along to WPCentral jogers2112 :)

WP7 is very stable, buttery smoothness all the way I find.

I have a Yahoo account I regulary use and never had any problems with it.

Speed is great for me, no problems there.

Web browsing is VIA IE9 and Flash isn't supported but I have never ever missed it.

There are a few YouTube apps out now and they are excellent.

Not sure about voice mail, as far as I know no US carriers have enabled visual voicemail as of yet if that interests you.

I myself have the Titan and can't fault it, just love the screen so much.

There are lots of users who have had garbled calls on the Titan on AT&T but you mentioned the Titan II so hopefully that will be OK.

I'm sure you'll have some more opinions along soon jogers2112. :)

If i've not been specific enough with anything please just ask. :)

jogers2112

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I really don't have that many concerns regarding the whole iphone to WP7 phone "transition". I did have a somewhat questionable experience with an Android device, (the first DROID), so I have become a little wary, (I know comparisons are of the "apples" and "oranges" prospective where OSs are concerned, but I do feel somewhat newbish, (and ya know...who wouldn't). I am not one of those individuals who tinker and feel the need to jailbreak, however I do enjoy custom ringtones and wallpapers, (ya know just to make things interesting), but that is the extent of my "individuality" needs. Titan 2 and the Nokia 900 have garnered most of my attention...so basically I am just researching and asking for tips, personal opinions.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well out of the box you can have your custom ring tones and alarms but not alert tones.

You can have any wallpaper you like but on Windows Phones wallpapers are really ony applicable to the lock screen, that's it.

There is a Windows Phone equivalent of Jailbreaking (Chevron / Developer Unlocking) and you can find out the ins and outs of that in our 'Software Development & Hacking' forums.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/software-development-hacking/

I think you'll find that Android is far more customisable than Windows Phone is though.

jogers2112

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again for your reply. Not really looking to customize too much, (not to the extent that you can with an Android device...I think that inevitably causes more problems in the long run). Anyway, need to do more research on "WP7 for newbs" so thanks again for your help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven