Was a BB fan

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Never was much of a BB fan....just wanted to welcome the OP to WPC.

The Lumia 900 is a great choice to start your WP journey and believe you will thoroughly enjoy the phone.

WPCental forums are a very helpful and friendly bunch and have found this to be my favorite forum site

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I was pretty devoted to BB. I had never even heard of windows phone up until a few months ago. I started researching it and everything I found was to my liking. Then I heard of windows phone 8 coming soon. So I found myself a cheap lumia 900 to be my "test run of the os. I am so impressed with this phone that I WILL be purchasing a windows 8 phone for sure. Do they me wrong, I will still check out bb10 if it's ever released. But it is going to have to really impress me as windows phone has really impressed me.

d-laybook

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I was a long time BB user who loved the os and the ui of the devices. Wanting to try something different led me to give a lumia 710 a whirl. Have never looked back. Now i am using a lumia 800 and love the device. The only things I miss on my BB is BBM and the keyboard on the 9900. I will be interested to have a look at BB10 when it comes out but I can't see me switching back at this point. And I think that Windows Phone 8 is just going to make me like this Os even more.

Welcome aboard.

d-laybook

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm a long time BB fan but itching to make a move. Android is garbage for business users. Are you guys business (MS Outlook) users? If so how are you finding the functionality for work (backing up contacts, etc)? Also what network are you on? I'm on T-mo.

Thanks

Donn

I use outlook on my pc and my email is hosted through office365. I have found the email on the windows phone to be better than it was on the BB. Being on BIS, I couldn't access folders on my device and found alot of times I was managing email twice. Since switching, that has become a thing of the past.

Hope that helps.

anewnham

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I had a Bold and then a Torch 9860 both of which I loved although the touchscreen on the Torch was dire! Moved to Lumia 700 to test out Windows Phone and not looked back, love it! The only thing I miss from my BBs is the flashing light visual indicator which lets you know when there is any kind of update without having to turn the screen on e.g. Facebox, email, app update etc.

moe1up

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow...I was a die hard BB fan too. On Crackberry and everything. I loved my 9900, but the issues it created were horrible. Then once owning the Lumia 900 for a couple of days is when I realized how outdated BB was. I HAD NO I IDEA I WAS LIVING IN THE PAST!!! Don't get me wrong, no phone has a better form factor than the Bold 9900, but the OS is where the appeal ends.

After having my Lumia, it rendered my PlayBook useless for my use, so I got rid of that also and I am looking forward to the Surface tab.

With BB10, I don't think there is anything RIM can do to get my attention, other than having Windows Phone 8 on a Bold 9900. But that'll be the day.

dreester

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Just my 2 cents. Currently I own a 9900 which is my first and probably my last BB. Things I like about it are:
  • the keyboard
  • notification LED
  • push mail
  • redirection of BIS services over WiFi

Things I hate about it:
  • reboot after app installation/removal
  • most apps and themes are rubbish
  • no decent Google Calendar synchronisation
  • no centralized updates; endless search of "official" software updates by some random service provider
  • poor WiFi reception
  • no decent offline turn-by-turn navigation software

I'm getting a WP8 phone asap, here is why:
  • BitLocker on-device encryption
  • Mobile data compression, like BIS
  • I like the WP8 start screen
  • Out of the box offline turn-by-turn navigation
  • It'll look and play nice with/next to my future Surface Pro
  • Hopefully plays nice with Office 365 from work
  • Hopefully a better integration of my mail, calendar, contacts, and Skydrive (outlook.com); I'm ditching all Google services
  • Hopefully build-in camera technology by Scalado (Nokia only?)
  • Hopefully somewhat future proof?

Why no Android?
  • Google's urge to collect my data in order to bother me with ads of the pizza I ordered online yesterday
  • Whether or not you receive an update (Gingerbread --> ICS) depends on your hardware manufacturer
  • For the stock Android experience you have to fool around with bootloaders and custom ROMs. I don't want touchwizsenseblur
  • No ecosystem that also plays nice with my Windows PC's

Why no Apple?
  • I don't like Apple products

So WP8 all the way!

One thing that I hope Microsoft fixes with WP8 is the WiFi keep alive when your phone is in stand-by.

PS: I like lists :p

roadkyller

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Just my 2 cents. Currently I own a 9900 which is my first and probably my last BB. Things I like about it are:
  • the keyboard
  • notification LED
  • push mail
  • redirection of BIS services over WiFi

Things I hate about it:
  • reboot after app installation/removal
  • most apps and themes are rubbish
  • no decent Google Calendar synchronisation
  • no centralized updates; endless search of "official" software updates by some random service provider
  • poor WiFi reception
  • no decent offline turn-by-turn navigation software

I'm getting a WP8 phone asap, here is why:
  • BitLocker on-device encryption
  • Mobile data compression, like BIS
  • I like the WP8 start screen
  • Out of the box offline turn-by-turn navigation
  • It'll look and play nice with/next to my future Surface Pro
  • Hopefully plays nice with Office 365 from work
  • Hopefully a better integration of my mail, calendar, contacts, and Skydrive (outlook.com); I'm ditching all Google services
  • Hopefully build-in camera technology by Scalado (Nokia only?)
  • Hopefully somewhat future proof?

Why no Android?
  • Google's urge to collect my data in order to bother me with ads of the pizza I ordered online yesterday
  • Whether or not you receive an update (Gingerbread --> ICS) depends on your hardware manufacturer
  • For the stock Android experience you have to fool around with bootloaders and custom ROMs. I don't want touchwizsenseblur

Why no Apple?
  • I don't like Apple products

So WP8 all the way!

One thing that I hope Microsoft fixes with WP8 is the WiFi keep alive when your phone is in stand-by.

PS: I like lists :p
I agree it would be nice to have the option to keep wifi running in the background, but I suspect that it automatically turning on and off does wonders for battery life.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
"great"? Can you set permissions for apps like bb?
BlackBerry apps usually won't even run if permissions aren't granted. Just do a forum search for "Jared Company spam" on the Crackberry forums, and you'll see BlackBerry app permissions are nothing special.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

schiri

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had a 710 for 6 weeks and I really have a big prob using a virtual keyboard.

Also, compared to my BB 9780 the battery life on my 710 is far inferior IMO. I can get no more than 7-8 hours of usage from a fully charged battery and this is just not cutting it for me personally. (and yes I have done every tweek imaginable on the 710)

E-Mail is priority one for me and this device just doesn't do it well enough.

I'll switch back to the new BB10 with the physical keyboard when it comes out.

jlarkins08

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a lumia 710 with t-mobile (7months) and I just find that the tiles didn't update all the time either the app needed to be uninstalled and re-installed or you had to force the update for the tiles by going to the app itself.. Honestly I missed my BB and I never had a notifying issue with BB always got my notifications and with LED never missed them either.. So BB just works for me, windows was great to try but I just couldn't hang on to it!

Sent from my iPod Touch (4th Generation) using Tapatalk

pastornordel

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Nosy apps

BlackBerry apps usually won't even run if permissions aren't granted. Just do a forum search for "Jared Company spam" on the Crackberry forums, and you'll see BlackBerry app permissions are nothing special.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Isn't that the point? When you deny apps permission to be nosy with your personal data they wont work! That's not a bb flaw! It helps me know which apps are given away "free" for the purpose of snooping.

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is an important factor for me. Even on the 9900, 9810, & 9360 that many complained to have bad battery life, it was still better than my lumia 800. I've just purchased a 9320, the os 7 device with the biggest battery of them all, hopefully this will be a match for the BlackBerry of old. :) Sadly, it had some trackpad issue so I have sent in it for repairs, now back on the my lumia as my daily driver, together with an older BB.

I still maintain that just typing alone is quicker on the lumia. But just that you have to be concentrating on the virtual keyboard. Whereas on the BB, I can afford to not look that much while typing. At times pumping in quick replies during traffic lights, while still being able to pay attention to the lights. Also there were less typos the BB. Also editting of text is a whole lot easier with a trackpad. If I were typing this on a Bb, I would have posted this a few minutes ago. Auto-correct still needs sone improvement, there's nothing like good ol' fashion physical keys.

Of course I still maintain that both phone have their own pros and cons. There's no harm in trying a new platform. :) I may prefer the BB more but I like windows phone as well. In fact the 2 platform I'm most looking forward to are windows phone & BB10.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Super smooth Lumia 800.

BB fan (and user) - just ordered a Lumia 800 for my wife. Played with the phone in the Telus store today and I was absolutely blown away with how smooth and fast the phone OS is. Will be testing one for myself in the coming weeks as I am due for an upgrade soon. Looking forward to it!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm a long time BB fan but itching to make a move. Android is garbage for business users. Are you guys business (MS Outlook) users? If so how are you finding the functionality for work (backing up contacts, etc)? Also what network are you on? I'm on T-mo.

Thanks

Donn

Unfortunately Outlook doesn't sync with Windows Phone directly. The only way of doing it is from a Windows 7 PC using Hotmail connector or using an exchange account.

If you have a MAC, there is no way of syncing Outlook to your phone. There is no hotmail connector for the MAC. It is probably the biggest drawback of the device. The WEB email offerings do not even come close to Outlook. The only way to get it to work is by paying a monthly fee to have an exchange account or Office 365.

Besides this, I was a long time Blackberry user, from 05'-09'. There are still things that I could do on my blackberry in 2005 that I can't do on my Titan II, most of these things hopefully will be fixed with WP 7.8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers