Might make the move to a Windows phone

captainkirkw

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
After using a friends Windows phone as well as stopping by our new MS store and checking out the others plus getting to play around with a Windows 8 tablet, I really like the interface and am thinking about making the switch. The Lumia 920 is probably my first choice but I am in no hurry and am actually hoping for something similar in size to the Galaxy Note. I use my phone a lot throughout the day for work and a larger screen would be very useful but I don't really want to carry a phone and tablet. So if I knew that a larger screen phone was on the horizon, I would just wait. If not, I still might be OK with something like the Lumia 920 if there is also an affordable 7" Windows 8 tablet but again, I would prefer not to have to carry two devices around with me.

A little background. I have used Nokia phones for many years, since the Nokia 2110 back in 1994. My last one was the N75, which I purchased about the time the iPhone came out and oddly enough, I didn't even take a look at the iPhone. While I was not a huge fan of Apple computers, I am usually pretty good about researching all competing products when I am looking to buy something new. Anyway, the N75 was good phone but I have to admit that I wish I had purchased an iPhone instead at that time because a couple of years later, my father in law gave me his when he upgraded to the 3GS and even though mine was the original, I loved it.

I waited until the iPhone 4 came out before I upgraded, which was the first Apple product that I ever purchased. My wife now has an iPhone 4, we both have original iPads given to us by her dad, as well as a handed down Macbook Pro and 2nd gen Apple TV. So with all of that, you might think "This guy must be an Apple fan boy", but I am not. I really like my iPhone and I use my iPad around the house for quick searches and such but I rarely use the Macbook as I have three MS PC's and an MS laptop too.

Anyway, I have been reading this site for a couple of months and figured I would join the forum, introduce myself, and start participating, especially if I do get a W8 phone and or tablet.

Thanks for all of the useful info so far. I am looking forward to the W8 launch at my local MS store. Is there anyone from Austin Tx on here who will be going?

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! It's always good to hear of people coming from an iPhone to a WP (or at least thinking about it).

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Its nice to hear from other Texans. I was in Austin Tuesday working actually I was in Bee Cave. Welcome to the forum we are glad you decided to join us.

captainkirkw

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. I stopped by Best Buy today to compare screen sizes. The iPhone 5 just looks odd with it being taller but not wider so I am not really interested in it. The Lumia 920's screen size will give me more space than my iPhone 4 but the Galaxy Note sure is tempting as something in between a phone and tablet, or phablet as it is now being called. I am not in any big hurry though so I will just ride it out for awhile and see what is coming down the pipe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb