Android to WP8

xesso

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm a long time Android user and I'm thinking about making the switch to WP8. I've been over at Androidcentral for a couple years now but just recently started looking on this site for some info. Is there any advise you all can give me on WP8 or maybe fill me in on some of the positives of switching from android to windows and what negatives might be as well. I have Verizon service and as of right now I am rocking a Galaxy S3.

Thanks

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I once was an Android phone user, for a short period of time, and still using an Android tablet right now (love it). But here's what I'd say about switching to WP8 from Android phones, in two quick topics:

Interface

WP interface is much better as a "smartphone" for me: simplistic yet informative. The first time I saw WP7 interface I fell in love with it, and now WP8 became even more customizable and as advertised, I think it's the most personal a phone can get these days. Android interface is similar to that of a PC with a nice twist, but I have to say it gets confusing and messy after awhile (just like PCs), also the devices I've used always start to slow down after awhile and need either a factory reset or cleaning cache to fix the problems, wasn't a big fan of that.

Design and Hardware
Depends which phone you are looking into, but I feel that Windows Phones are very well designed to suit the OS itself. For example, the elegant yet bold design of the Lumia phones really attracted me and it really is one of the kind. Hardware wise, I know S3 and iPhone 5 both have killer hardware specs too, but compared to Lumia 920, it is obviously short in many perspectives, and also Nokia put into much more work developing new technologies and utilizing them. This chart always help me to explain a bit how WP stands out in specs: http://wmpoweruser.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2012917131525.jpg Not to mention the pureview camera is just the perfect reason to get the L920. Even one of my die-hard Android fan friend ALMOST wanted to switch to WP just because of the camera.

These two would be my major reasons to switch, and STAY with WP for the past few years. Of course there's many other cool stuff that you can discover yourself on the forum, or by trying out the phone yourself.

Certainly, there's shortcomings when you come from Android to WP too, but for me those are not big issues. For example, not enough apps. I had more than 350 apps installed on my WP7 and now around 150 on my L920 as well. There definitely are apps that I wish are in the marketplace but they're not, but for me I have android tablet as well as an iPod so I don't really need them on my phone AGAIN. There's definitely much less garbage apps on WP than on Android and iOS, and also the good apps are very well designed to fit WP8 (lockscreen, live tiles, metro UI) which enhances the whole user experience a whole lot.

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
That is a loaded and complex question, but I'll give a simply answer a shot, speaking for myself only of course.

The biggest advantages of Windows Phone as a platform for me are stability, user experience, and ecosystem advantages. Even with more modern versions of Android, I find many applications to be unstable, and the user experience to be messy, stuttery, and inconsistent. One nice thing about Windows Phone is that it is incredibly stable. Apps and the OS crash much more infrequently than in iOS or Android. The unified, clean, and fluid user experience (formerly called Metro) is buttery smooth, and navigating the OS can feel like a joy, and a peek at the future. Similarly, the built-in app experiences such as the people hub and Office support built in make for a cohesive user experience.

On the ecosystem front, I was always jealous of my friend who had an iPhone, iPad, and Mac, because everything worked so well in tandem. With my Windows Phone, Surface, PC, and XBOX I now have that same ecosystem advantage. Office documents and changes are synced across my devices, SkyDrive gives me access to all my files, Xbox music and games, my entire ecosystem seems to "just work" to borrow Apple's own marketing phrase.

As a longtime android user I expect that the biggest disadvantage you will feel is customizability. Windows Phone allows much fewer methods of customization, from the Start Screen, to the relatively shallow API access that apps get compared to Android. On the Start Screen colors and arrangement are really all you can change, no completely different launches as in Android exist. On the app front, Android basically allows apps to have much deeper system access than Windows Phone allows. For example apps cannot modify the global keyboard or provide replacement ones in Windows Phone. In this sense Windows Phone is much more similar to iOS

I often see Windows Phone as trying to walk a middle ground between iOS and Android, the cohesive and consistent user experience of iOS with the hardware choice and variability of Android. If you have been using Android because you wanted a great mobile OS then Windows Phone is great, but if you like Android because of the deep customizability, then it may not be the best platform for you. Like Apple Microsoft's Windows Phone Team has made some great and hard design decisions, but like Apple if you don't agree with them more often than not you are stuck with them.

xesso

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
thanks david and kevin..... I do like the idea of my computer, Xbox 360 and phone being able to work in tandem. I have Verizon so i am stuck choosing between the HTC 8x and the Lumia 822. I am leaning toward the Lumia 822 as of now but I am not 100% on that just yet.

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
thanks david and kevin..... I do like the idea of my computer, Xbox 360 and phone being able to work in tandem. I have Verizon so i am stuck choosing between the HTC 8x and the Lumia 822. I am leaning toward the Lumia 822 as of now but I am not 100% on that just yet.
The Lumia 822 is not available in my country however the 820 is. Anyways, what I want to point out is that I don't miss any of Nokia's apps (maybe the games but not at all). Don't get the 822 over the 8X just because of the apps.
Why I find the 8X better is because of the:
  • Camera;
  • Beats Audio;
  • Design;
  • HD Resolution Screen;
  • Awesome FFC;

, however it lacks of the SD Card and that might be crucial to someone.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

Either choice is a good one imho. The HTC has a better display, but no memory expansion. The Nokia has an sd card option, but no Gorilla Glass. The 822 also has better support from Nokia - some of its exclusive apps are pretty nice.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I came over from android as well. Though I had been wanting to try windows phone for a couple of years now. How soon are you planning on making the switch? With the possibility of new phones being announced the next couple of months at the big events. And the rumors of Nokia planning things for Verizon. You might have another option or two on phone choices.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it and have a good experience.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I'd hold off a little bit longer (say 3-4 months) to see what high-end offerings Verizon will receive from Nokia, Samsung, and HTC. Based on what some other people on this forum who are "in the know" have said, some high end devices will be coming out on Verizon in the next few months.

xesso

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice on waiting for the higher end phones possibly coming soon. The thing is I am in law enforcement and we don't make that much money, also I will need to get the phone off contract so I can keep my unlimited data. I may wait till new phones come out so i can get a used 822 or 8x cheaper. I've got a possible trade in the works right now...... gonna trade my GS3 for the 822 or 8x but we will see how that works out.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice on waiting for the higher end phones possibly coming soon. The thing is I am in law enforcement and we don't make that much money, also I will need to get the phone off contract so I can keep my unlimited data. I may wait till new phones come out so i can get a used 822 or 8x cheaper. I've got a possible trade in the works right now...... gonna trade my GS3 for the 822 or 8x but we will see how that works out.

The GS3 is a way better phone than the 822 and a tad better than the 8x as far as the hardware goes. I would suggest selling it off on craigslist and then buy the 822/8x rather than a straight trade. The only thing that might make you unhappy is some missing apps which are not available yet on WP8 and even if they are at some point, you can't rule the exclusivity sh*t that it has to overcome (Viber is a classic example). Apart from that WP8 has a very fluid experience as compared to Android, you wont see much of a speed difference since you are coming from a GS3 which I agree is an awesome device, but the live titles and the overall UI/UX of the WP OS makes it stand out of the crowd, and with WP8, MS has taken its performance to a whole new level..

In short you will love it... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720