Hi. iPhone 4s to Lumia 920

resle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi from Shanghai.

I'm from Italy. After going through the "tock" iterations of the iPhone (original, 3gs, 4s) - I've moved to the Lumia 920 to bet on a Microsoft ecosystem.
WP8, Windows 8 pc, Windows 8-based media center. After all that's where my roots are, from DOS 5.0 onward..

Cheers,

andrea

resle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

The only things I can't really stand about WP8 so far (2 weeks into the new phone): task killing, and the way the OS deals with suspended apps.
The first is an os-only flaw: killing tasks with the back button and being sent to the start screen is just plain confusing, unintuitive, unnatural.
The second may be bad app design from third parts, but many apps will just sort of "reboot" when recalled from suspension.

All the rest, as the lack of VPN and WPA2 Enterprise support, is a bunch of small holes that will patched for sure in time, so I don't care.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Welcome and have fun with your 920! (I certainly have).
Regarding the "killing tasks" issue: It took me a while to get used to it, but meanwhile, I like it.
BTW, I really, really like the way Symbian is handling this, though. Just press the middle button for a while, see all your task (similar to WP), touch the little "x" in the corner (Different to WP), task gone.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the land of 920 and Windows Phone. I think some of those small holes you mentioned will be filled in the near future.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Welcome aboard. I think that in a few months you'll be so used to the way WP does things that it will be hard to imagine doing it another way again.

resle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Randomly looking back at this post... 2 years into WP I am now with an Icon and although I will keep faithful to my choice and wait for WP10 (and possibly a new 6 inches flagship) .... I have to say that for each frustration that was solved both with the software and hardware, a new one arose. It was a different experience with the iPhone: at least for my run (iPhone "1" to 4s), every iteration was way better than the last one on all acounts.

Fingers crossed for 2015 ...:unhappysweat:

Didier3001

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I Got my first WP probably 2 years ago. So far my only frustration is the camera downgrade from my old Lumia 1020 to my new Lumia 930. OS is very stable and does not lag which is something I really enjoy in comparison with my Android galaxy S3 I had 3 years ago. I still have Android Tablets but they also lag. One of my friend recently did a demo where his Iphone 6 is lagging for very basic task. I'm also looking forward to see Windows 10

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Randomly looking back at this post... 2 years into WP I am now with an Icon and although I will keep faithful to my choice and wait for WP10 (and possibly a new 6 inches flagship) .... I have to say that for each frustration that was solved both with the software and hardware, a new one arose. It was a different experience with the iPhone: at least for my run (iPhone "1" to 4s), every iteration was way better than the last one on all acounts.

Fingers crossed for 2015 ...:unhappysweat:

Welcome aboard, great to hear your enjoying your new icon and getting use to it, also when closing apps instead of hitting the x to close you can swipe them down towards the bottom to close if you didn't know.

resle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the hint - I knew and it's the thing I liked the most of the 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade.

Unfortunately so many other things are still unfixed, or "broken by design", inconsistent, etc. , but I want to give Microsoft a couple more years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon