01-06-2013 02:28 PM
- I have to say that I'm feeling extremely let down. Microsoft, Verizon, Nokia, HTC and Samsung have all let me down.
The specs for the Samsung ATIV Odyssey, a device that I thought I could very well be interested in, were posted on WP Central's website today, and I have to say I was severely disappointed. During the Windows Phone 8 launch Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said that Verizon would have the Odyssey in December. That gave me some anticipation, however as the year drew to a close ABSOLUTELY no information as to the debut of the device was forthcoming from either Verizon or Samsung. I have to admit that I thought it extremely interesting that I could find nothing on the phone itself, specs or release date, but one could find cases and screen protectors on Amazon and eBay. When reports started surfacing about the Samsung ATIV S possibly being delayed until 2013, possibly as late as February, Samsung came out and said that it was still on track for going on sale before the end of the year. No such information has came out about the Odyssey, still no release date on it - not that it matters for me any more.
I guess I should mention some background about myself, I'm an IT tech and somewhat of a power computer user. It's somewhat typical for me to have 1-2 dozen web pages open (using multiple browsers), half a number of spreadsheets, a database, email and other programs open at the same time. At home it's not uncommon for me to be using both my laptop and desktop at the same time.
Currently I have a Motorola Droid 2 - which I have come to despise with passion. I need and want a new phone. I was excited when I heard about the Windows Phone 8 operating system. I'm becoming less of a fan of the android system every day and really have no desire to be lumped in with the iPhone crowd. Currently my wife, kids and I are on a family plan with Verizon. I also think that Verizon is a better carrier than AT&T so switching is not really an option for me.
How Nokia let me down: with the exclusivity of the Lumia 920 with AT&T. I mean really?! AT&T has repeatedly been on the low end of consumer satifaction reports for many years. I know that Nokia's perspective is that AT&T would devote advertising to the Lumia and AT&T would push the phone to be sold, but Microsoft has been promoting the Windows Phone 8 fairly well. Additionally, from the reports I'm seeing the 920 has been selling well globally.
How Verizon let me down: with a limited choice of phones - there is only one WP8 phone with a HD phone with a display. Being a power user I don't consider the HTC 8X as being either a 'Hero' or 'Flagship' level phone. I'm sure it's a great phone and just fine for most people, but I want more. And I'm not even going to consider a phone with a WVGA display.
How HTC let me down: the aforementioned 8X. Only 8 GB of storage and NO SD card? WTF??! That would never suffice for my needs.
How Samsung let me down: by not bringing their ATIV S to the states. From the specs, the ATIV S would suit my needs and wants - but currently there are no carriers in the US that have that phone.
How Microsoft let me down: with no 1080p screen resolution support for WP8! Again WTF?! I've read at first that Microsoft wasn't even going to incorporate LTE technology into the Windows Phone 8 OS and that it was Nokia that pushed them to put it in there. I think that if they hadn't then WP8 would have been a big flop. I've also read that HTC wanted to make a 5" 1080p WP8 device but had to cancel plans because WP8 wouldn't support the resolution. I really have to wonder about who's running the WP8 division of Microsoft! Originally no LTE and currently no 1080p support? Microsoft are you really serious about contending in the smartphone business? If you want to be a major competitor in the current smartphone market you have to take quite a few steps closer to the edge!
Admittedly there are a couple of glimmers of hope. Nokia's CEO has said that they have "exciting things" upcoming with Verizon and HTC and Microsoft have met to supposedly work out ideas for better devices.
What I would like to get? I would like to get a WP8 phone with a 4.7 - 5", or possibly larger, 1080p screen, a quad core processor, 2 GB of RAM, with 32 or 64 GB of storage and a micro SD card slot. There are a few such Android devices. Why can't there be a Windows Phone 8 device?
Here's hoping CES 2013 unveils more devices coming.01-04-2013 09:48 AM
- There also is a 16gb HTC 8x. Im very content with my black 16gb HTC 8x from Verizon. Loving the wireless charging. I personally don't have a need for quad core processor or more ram. My phone is pretty quick as is. I also think my 720p screen is awesome. But everyone to their own. Hopefully you will get what you want in the future!01-04-2013 10:00 AM
- My mistake. I might have to reconsider the 8X, if nothing better comes out next week at CES. I was under the impression that it was just 8 GB. Thanks xboxonthego3! You've brightened my day already! :)
I also do 3D animation and like to have my animations on my phone because you never know who you might run into.01-04-2013 10:11 AM
- Well the only advise I could give is if nothing interest you or isn't want you need wait to see what CES has to offer I heard there maybe some interesting windows phone going to be shown.
If there still don't for you that will take your interest then it what ever will be the most suitable for your needs.01-06-2013 02:18 PM
- I sympathise with your annoyance, but to be frank, i imagine most of your desires will be fulfilled in the next year.. Ie they are next gen specs. Both l920 and 8x have fantastic screens. See them in person and judge for yourself.. I do strongly suspect that Nokia out of an existential fear of bankruptcy is on an accelerated product cycle where they are trying to finally put out all of their inventions to the world to see. I do think Verizon will get a nice lumia. I think this l920 exclusivity was probably a one off made for financial reasons.. Which has serious disbenefitd, but also gave Nokia a lot of free advertising. There are new phones acoming, don't worry. Like who had heard of the 620 before launch?. Nokia knows how to keep secrets. I reckon one of those is a decent new flagship phone in the pipe01-06-2013 02:28 PM
- By jrdatrackstar1223 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 43Last Post: 03-02-2012, 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD