New WP8 user

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

It's good to be onboard. A bit about myself. Reasonably tech-savy. RF test engineer by trade (and flight instructor in a parallel existence). Spent the last eight years writing automatic test programs in LabVIEW. Why am I here? Well, I've recently bought a Nokia Lumia 820 (and love it - stonking phone!). However, the only other mobile phone I've ever had was a Nokia 9500 Communicator, which died recently. You can see I'm on one heck of a steep learning curve here, so I've been looking at places to get help and advice. Of all the WP8 resources I found, WPCentral looked the most attractive and the Introductions seemed a great idea and very welcoming. Why did I buy Nokia? For all their woes I think they still make great hardware. Why the 820? I wanted WP8 and the 920 was a bit too bulky for my liking. Also, I'm not into taking photographs particularly so the 920's camera would have been wasted on me. Why WP8? I don't like following the crowd. WP8 looked different, fresh, exciting and I think it has enormous potential. I'm not bothered about all that market share stuff. In addition, frustrating as they can be at times, Microsoft have always done me okay all my computing life. I should add, though, I don't really do social networking so I guess my tiles probably aren't going to be that live.

I was wondering if I could part by asking a simple question here, if that doesn't bust forum rules on day one? The context of the question will let you all know where I'm at. I got myself a Microsoft account, because things seemed a bit limited if I didn't. When I look at my contacts (sorry, people) on my phone, under each entry it says Hotmail. I don't understand this at all. I'm not aware I've signed up to Hotmail. Wikipedia tells me Hotmail's going to be ditched anyway and replaced by Outlook.com. I could have understood it more if it had said Outlook. It's this sort of stuff that I'm going to have to learn, and quickly. Can anyone enlighten me? Sorry if I'm sounding dumb, but this is very new to me and I want to be able to make WP8 to work for me.

Thank you all. GraemeT.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
You're fine. It appears the people tiles on Windows Phone and Surface shows Hotmail. If you go to the web page for Outlook and go to people, you'll see your contacts say Outlook. The tiles just need to be updated, which hopefully will come in at some point.

Welcome to WPCentral and have fun.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3