Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think I should do?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nokia 928 & Verizon

    12 29.27%
  • Nokia 925 & T-Mobile

    10 24.39%
  • Wait it out... Better phones are likely around the corner with GDR3 and Blue

    19 46.34%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
Like Tree23Likes
  1. kriz225's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
       #1  
    Hey everyone!

    My name is Cristian, I'm from Wisconsin (US). I'm 21 and work doing technical support for security equipment (video surveillance and access control). I've been a loyal Android customer since the HTC Hero hit the shelves about 4 years ago. As a techie, I've thoroughly enjoyed rooting my phones and tinkering with every last detail. However, as of late I find that I do a lot less of playing with my phone and am much more productivity-oriented when I do need to use it.

    Because of this, now that my rooted HTC Evo 3D is showing its age - and incidentally has a cracked screen a month out of warranty - I'm looking very seriously at getting a Windows phone. I'm also going to be switching carriers from Sprint, most likely to either Verizon or T-Mobile. I'm strongly considering getting either the Nokia Lumia 928 or the Nokia Lumia 925, depending on which carrier I wind up with.

    My biggest concern right now is which of these two carriers I should go with, and although coverage and cost are my bigger concerns I am a bit torn between the 928 and 925. As if that weren't enough, I'm also struggling with whether to upgrade at all at this time considering that I could possibly keep my phone and Sprint (I get a highly discounted rate with them) for a few more months to wait and see what Nokia or HTC do once WP 8.1 hits the ground...

    I hope to be able to find some good information and discussions here in the WPCentral forums so that I can make a more informed decision on my next phone purchase. Either way, I'm already won over by Microsoft's guile
  2. ag1986's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    488 Posts
    #2  
    I would suggest waiting; there are some fairly basic things you may need that are not available with WP8 right now. http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...s-succeed.html is a good place to start.

    What do you do on your phone that's absolutely indispensable? Then check if these are possible with WP. Then verify that your favourite apps are available. I went through this process, used a Lumia 920 dev edition for 2 weeks, and went back to my N4. Waiting for MS to get off their rear ends and bring WP up to date with the things I need.
  3. FinancialP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    515 Posts
    Global Posts
    557 Global Posts
    #3  
    Verizon prices are ridiculous.

    Tmobile coverage is ridiculous.

    Tough cookie.
  4. kriz225's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
       #4  
    @ag1986: I appreciate the advise. I have already looked into that and have decided that WP8 as an OS is more than sufficient for my needs. I don't do much social networking and, as I said, find myself using apps less and less. What I absolutely need is a fast and efficient phone that is reliable for making calls, texting, navigation and some web surfing. Currently my rooted Evo 3D from Sprint fails on almost all accounts...

    @FinancialIP: Yeah... that's exactly my dilemma . T-Mobile's coverage maps look like someone sneezed on a map of the US, but I like the lighter aluminum body of the L925 and their cheaper rates with unlimited data (throttling and all). On the other hand, Verizon's coverage and internet speeds are legendary and I like the 928's built-in wireless charging and superior flash, but their prices are insane and they have limited data.
    interopbyt and FinancialP like this.
  5. Blkacesvf41's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #5  
    @Krizz
    The 928 is a nice looking phone but just a little too big for my taste, I have an 822. Nowadays the way to go with Verizon is with their share everything plans.
  6. bmetelsky's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    PIN
    No
    #6  
    I think the size of the 928 is perfect. It's a fast phone with a beautiful screen. Perfect for work email (Exchange Server) and personal email. I have one of Verizon's family plans and think its not too pricey for a 4 phone family.
  7. NTUser's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    165 Posts
    #7  
    I say wait, GDR3, blue, etc. will hopefully bring some much needed improvements to the platform.

    If you can't hold it any longer, I'd say go with TMobile, I have Verizon and I can't stand them.
  8. 11B1P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,354 Global Posts
    #8  
    I disagree with ag1986. You can't play the waiting game with cell phones. If you do, you will always be waiting, because there is always "the next phone" will do this and have that, then when it comes out, the rumors of "the next phone" and so on. It is best to look at what carrier provides the best coverage of your area, then go with a phone from that carrier. Never pick a phone because it looks "cool". No matter how "cool" it looks, if it doesn't function as a phone, you won't be happy. I have an 822 (retired) and now the 928 I'm currently using. I have been pleased with both of them.

    PM me for more details
    cckgz4 and interopbyt like this.
  9. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,272 Posts
    #9  
    Is AT&T coverage bad in your area?

    AT&T's LTE speeds on average are better than Verizon's right now.

    In a choice between Verizon or T-Mobile, I'd choose Verizon.
  10. z33dev33l's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    830 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    #10  
    Don't wait or you'll be waiting forever, if WP8 is sufficient for your needs get in now with Nokia. Also, of course the evo 3d fails on those accounts. You mentioned reliability and that's a word you won't find in the android dictionary.
    TechAbstract likes this.
  11. ag1986's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    488 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B1P View Post
    I disagree with ag1986. You can't play the waiting game with cell phones. If you do, you will always be waiting, because there is always "the next phone" will do this and have that, then when it comes out, the rumors of "the next phone" and so on. It is best to look at what carrier provides the best coverage of your area, then go with a phone from that carrier. Never pick a phone because it looks "cool". No matter how "cool" it looks, if it doesn't function as a phone, you won't be happy. I have an 822 (retired) and now the 928 I'm currently using. I have been pleased with both of them.
    Certainly, and I was not suggesting an indefinite wait. Just till 8.1 - I see that I did not make this clear in my first post, sorry.
    11B1P likes this.
  12. bawboh86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    571 Posts
    Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    #12  
    I'm with 11B1P. If you want to check out WP8, look at coverage of each carrier in your area, and try out a phone. I have the 1020 and it does everything I need, and AT&T coverage is great where I'm at. I would never look at T-Mobile here, though, because they really suck here. If you don't like WP right now, and want to wait for 8.1/Blue, then that's fine, but don't wait forever. And also realize that with the way WP8's updates have been going, expect all current WP8 devices to get 8.1, which means that no matter what you get now should get all the features that the next set of phones will have. ;)
    Thanked by:
    11B1P 
  13. allos autos's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    96 Posts
    #13  
    Count me among those in this thread who have cautioned against waiting (or waiting too long).

    As for your choice of which phone/carrier, I suggest you continue using the same reasoning that is bringing you to WP in the first place; namely, looking to see what works with your needs and wants. Which is more important to you: keeping some money in your pocket, or having diminished performance? Personally, I am willing to pay a bit extra to ensure that I'm not experiencing regular frustrations, because you can always cut expenses elsewhere, but you can't upgrade your network's performance.
    11B1P likes this.
  14. chezm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,251 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,348 Global Posts
    #14  
    I love my WP8 L920, but if you need a phone now just buy a L520 ($99) and wait out the blue devices. My 2 cents
    Last edited by chezm; 08-17-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2
  15. TrophyNostalgia's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #15  
    My personal opinion with your situation would be to go with Verizon (also like you from Wisconsin). While I will acknowledge that they have higher costs (push limits occasionally) as a carrier typically, their coverage has never failed me. T-Mobile while cheaper, will struggle with giving you full coverage depending on where you go. I have had Verizon for about six years and their coverage has always been extremely dependable; maybe not the fastest compared to AT&T; but the most dependable while still having solid speeds. Additionally the Nokia Lumia 928 at Verizon is free on contract (so if you start a new contract with them you're set); Being a high-end phone you can't really go wrong with "free". Best of luck in your decision, everyone has different preferences and things that work for them. I think either service or phone will do you well when compared to Sprint, I've heard quite a bit of negative feedback regarding them. Concerning playing the waiting game, my philosophy is that you can never win that game, because there is always something new coming out. (Especially with the 928 free on contract) Make a decision and cherish and enjoy what you have.
    Thanked by:
    11B1P likes this.
  16. chezm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,251 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,348 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by TrophyNostalgia View Post
    . Concerning playing the waiting game, my philosophy is that you can never win that game, because there is always something new coming out. (.
    while I understand this point and usually agree, the 928 is essentially the 920 very slightly updated...so its almost a year old device. I say in his situation to wait out the scenario with WP8.1 and Blue, esp if there's a major HW update.
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2
    Thanked by:
  17. KitN's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    #17  
    I say get a cheap Lumia 520 or 521 to test out WP as your main device. Mind you, you don't need to setup any service for the phone, just use it on WiFi.

    Get to know the OS on a daily-use level to see of WP OS and apps work for you before completely investing.

    That's what I'm doing! :D
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521
  18. 11B1P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,354 Global Posts
    #18  
    Also keep in mind, you have 14 days to use the phone and try it out. If it doesn't work for you, return it before the 14 day window closes.

    PM me for more details
  19. kriz225's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
       #19  
    Wow you guys have been very responsive and thoughtful! I greatly appreciate it.

    I would just like to clarify something, in regards to the "waiting game." I am very familiar with the idea that waiting for the newest, latest technology before investing is a futile effort. This pretty much true across the board with all technology. My only issue is that like chezm pointed out, the hardware in the 928 (while still an upgrade for me) is outdated by comparison. The 1.5GHz S4 Snapdragon CPU on the current Nokia flagship phones is about a year old... My thought was that Nokia & HTC will probably be holding out on releasing sweet new high-end hardware until 8.1 or at least GDR3 is released to add support for better hardware (1080p screens and such).

    I am going to be switching carriers because I'm fed up with Sprint (dropped calls, no 4G, etc. etc.) so I might as well take advantage of their offers and get a high-end phone for free rather than invest on a mid-end phone just to try WP8. I've done enough research to know that I won't be unhappy with the OS.

    I'm definitely leaning towards Verizon and the L928... but I appreciate all the advise!
  20. irvin792's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,102 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,222 Global Posts
    #20  
    I say dive in and enjoy it. :)
  21. interopbyt's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    832 Posts
    Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    #21  
    Don't wait for things to happen! I say go to Verizon and get a 928, they've proven their update support for the 928 and it looks like a sexy phone.
    On the other hand, their plans are expensive...
  22. 11B1P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,354 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by kriz225 View Post
    Wow you guys have been very responsive and thoughtful! I greatly appreciate it.

    I would just like to clarify something, in regards to the "waiting game." I am very familiar with the idea that waiting for the newest, latest technology before investing is a futile effort. This pretty much true across the board with all technology. My only issue is that like chezm pointed out, the hardware in the 928 (while still an upgrade for me) is outdated by comparison. The 1.5GHz S4 Snapdragon CPU on the current Nokia flagship phones is about a year old... My thought was that Nokia & HTC will probably be holding out on releasing sweet new high-end hardware until 8.1 or at least GDR3 is released to add support for better hardware (1080p screens and such).
    Everybody wants to talk specs. If my "one year old technology" can run rings around your "triple quad-core, 15000p screen, Bluetooth 10.0" phone, who is better off? Everybody wants to say how much better the competition phones are with their multi-core, yada, yada phones, but when my L928 never locks up, I can hit Bing and get the Local Scout to get my results faster, display current info on the screen with Live Tiles and more, I have the better os. Having the multi-core, snap dragon cpu and whatever, means nothing if the phone lags and needs regular reboots.

    Don't fall for the "higher specs" trap. WP8 is quite capable of handling everything you need to do. Yes there are some nice improvements coming with 8.1, but the L928 right now will run with the pack.

    PM me for more details
  23. chezm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,251 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,348 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B1P View Post
    . .

    Don't fall for the "higher specs" trap. WP8 is quite capable of handling everything you need to do. Yes there are some nice improvements coming with 8.1, but the L928 right now will run with the pack.
    Most definitely I agree my L920 runs super fast and never lags, compared to even the latest android devices. However as you've even stated above, "right now" is the key word. I ain't saying our devices will blow up by next year...but the truth of the matter is we don't know what to expect with 8.1 and maybe waiting out could be a huge benefit for the OP. When signing on a contract you pretty much give in for 2 years...so hypothetically speaking signing on a year old device now would leave you dragging out a 3 year old device before your next upgrade.

    I'm just saying....same reason I would t recommend people to pick up an iPhone 4 or GS2.
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2
    raycpl and kriz225 like this.
  24. Giddora's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    #24  
    I would recommend buying a 520 off contract and wait for the christmas and GDR3-phones before making your purchase. It's available for like $80 or something in the US. When GDR hits... You'll be used to the system and know for sure what you'd want to invest in. And $80 is hardly something you'll go bankrupt and whine about losing if you find out you really don't like WP. :)

    I came from 2 years of Android-use and haven't missed it for a second, but everybody isn't me. :)


    Current Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 Yellow (YAY!!)
    Future Phone:
    Previous Phones: Lumia 800, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, HTC Hero, Iphone 3GS
    Carrier: 3 Sweden
  25. kriz225's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by chezm View Post
    Most definitely I agree my L920 runs super fast and never lags, compared to even the latest android devices. However as you've even stated above, "right now" is the key word. I ain't saying our devices will blow up by next year...but the truth of the matter is we don't know what to expect with 8.1 and maybe waiting out could be a huge benefit for the OP. When signing on a contract you pretty much give in for 2 years...so hypothetically speaking signing on a year old device now would leave you dragging out a 3 year old device before your next upgrade.

    I'm just saying....same reason I would t recommend people to pick up an iPhone 4 or GS2.
    Yeah, chezm gets exactly what I'm driving at. I'm not your average consumer. I don't generally fall for gimmicks (GS4's 9000+ sensor b.s.) and I understand that WP8 is much slimmer, faster and more reliable that the OS that ships with most of the competition. That's why I'm looking at WP in the first place.

    However, this is the phone that I'm going to have to make do with for the next 2 years at least. While I know that it won't perform badly, it makes me a little uneasy to invest into a year-old piece of technology, particularly in a time when there's very exciting things going on with ARM processors.

    Also, 11B1P, a higher pixel count (or better yet, pixel density) and support for newer technologies (such as Bluetooth 4.0 and 802.11ac) are very valid consumer concerns. If you want to scuff at people who fall for gimmicky phone features then I'd look at the Nokia Lumia 1020's disgustingly large 41MP camera or Samsung's "hand-wavy" sensor things.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Android to WP8 Help
    By daveymoll in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 03:29 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-17-2013, 05:56 AM
  3. WP8 questions from an Android user
    By anony_mouse in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 01:56 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-12-2013, 01:54 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions