Late introduction - why I changed from Apple to Microsoft....

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, my name is William, I live in Scotland, I am a Pastor of a local Baptist Church.

I am reasonably new here as I began to look again at Microsoft and Windows. For a long time, I had no time for windows, I used it in my younger days (my tower PC had a hole where the discdrive was due to slow laggy software!). I then changed to Ubuntu then to mac. I had my mac, then bought an iPhone and an ipad, and for years I was happy in my overly priced little world.

When called to the church, I was given a dell. This reinforced my views of windows, it was windows 7, it was slow as anything! took around 5 minuets to start up! Then office stopped working, I didn't use it much. However at the same time on the ipad I was noticing the Microsoft apps were very impressive, beginning to use them more than the alternatives. I then began to explore could windows 10 fix the laggy dell. So I installed that and was blown away first by its speed, and then by how well it was working. Windows phone has always fascinated me (unlike Android which just stole ios and then changed its name, windows showed creativity). So when my contract ended I changed to a 535 and have been blown away with how well the thing works.

My perception is that, at this time, in Apple HQ they spend most of their time patting each other on the back for being awesome, but their updates are slow, the new ios is generally buggy, there is an arrogance there. At Microsoft they seem to be working super hard on all fronts, ipad apps get regular updates, they are coding 10, they seem driven and determined to make progress.

My thinking is to replace my ipad with a windows tablet sometime in the future, either the Eve T1 or the Linx 7.

Last edited by a moderator:

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: Late introduction - why I chnaged from Apple to Microsoft....

Hi all, my name is William, I live in Scotland, I am a Pastor of a local Baptist Church.

I am reasonably new here as I began to look again at Microsoft and Windows. For a long time, I had no time for windows, I used it in my younger days (my tower PC had a hole where the discdrive was due to slow laggy software!). I then changed to Ubuntu then to mac. I had my mac, then bought an iPhone and an ipad, and for years I was happy in my overly priced little world.

When called to the church, I was given a dell. This reinforced my views of windows, it was windows 7, it was slow as anything! took around 5 minuets to start up! Then office stopped working, I didn't use it much. However at the same time on the ipad I was noticing the Microsoft apps were very impressive, beginning to use them more than the alternatives. I then began to explore could windows 10 fix the laggy dell. So I installed that and was blown away first by its speed, and then by how well it was working. Windows phone has always fascinated me (unlike Android which just stole ios and then changed its name, windows showed creativity). So when my contract ended I changed to a 535 and have been blown away with how well the thing works.

My perception is that, at this time, in Apple HQ they spend most of their time patting each other on the back for being awesome, but their updates are slow, the new ios is generally buggy, there is an arrogance there. At Microsoft they seem to be working super hard on all fronts, ipad apps get regular updates, they are coding 10, they seem driven and determined to make progress.

My thinking is to replace my ipad with a windows tablet sometime in the future, either the Eve T1 or the Linx 7.

The surface is the best option.If you were blown away by the 535,wait till you see the 930

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

The surface is the best option.If you were blown away by the 535,wait till you see the 930
I really like the surface, it would be awesome for what I use technology for now. However it is so expensive I would be doing the apple thing all over again, paying over priced for technology. Its more expensive than an Ipad and whilst it is far better, with a Bluetooth keyboard and a linx 7 I could do most of the same stuff. For a surface to become a reasonable option the price needs to half.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Hello, William, and Welcome to Windows Central!

We're glad that you're enjoying your Windows experience so far. As for the lags of your Dell, I suspect it just needed some defragmenting and deleting of a lot of temporary files - common with Windows XP, Vista and 7. I haven't tried Windows 10 yet, but installing a new OS would have wiped your hard drive clean, hence resulting in an increased speed. Nonetheless, Windows 10 is indeed expected to be faster than all the other Windows operating systems that came before it.

I've got an L535, too, but only as a temporary phone since my main phone (L1020) is in the service center. The L535 is still in within the "entry level" category; there are bugs, of course, but it does perform well for an "entry level" phone.:cool:

Consider a Surface Pro in replacing your iPad and match the specifications to your needs.

The official release of Windows 10 is coming and many of us are looking forward to a rather interesting turn in our experience with Windows. Stick around in the forums and blogs for the latest updates.:cool:

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site

Hello William.

I'm a college student in IS major. Also hardware apprentice and amateur overclocker.

When we talk about computer that run windows. Most of the case that they perform slow is some mistakes in system configuration.

I got Acer aspire laptop (Aspire 4920) It has core 2 duo processor. 4GB DDR 2 ram and 160gb had. Boot time windows 7 is only 30sec.

Your Lumia 535 is good. Some user experiences touch screen problem. If you did try apply some screen protector and it should help

My though windows 7 can run fast in they got right configuration. Just little maintenance solve common problems.

As for tablet I think you should consider Surface Pro 3. Yes they are expensive but that simply shows how windows tablet mean to be.

If you look for cheaper one. Try some hybrid notebook devices. It usually has 16/32gb ssd on screen but extra had in their keyboard. So when you attack the keyboard you get more storage.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the Windows experience and Windows Central Forums.

I'm happy to hear that you are being brought over to the platform from Microsoft Cloud use. It is a powerful and integrated approach.

About a new Tab. I think 10" screen or more to really be productive is a basic need. I had a Dell Venue 8 Pro for awhile and loved it, but the screen size was a bit of a drawback... Also you are going to want fine tip pen support. It doubles as a mouse and a writing instrument.

Have you considered the Toshiba Encore 2 Write? Seems to hit the sweet spot between value and high function. Encore 2 Write Tablet | Toshiba

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site

Welcome to the Windows experience and Windows Central Forums.

I'm happy to hear that you are being brought over to the platform from Microsoft Cloud use. It is a powerful and integrated approach.

About a new Tab. I think 10" screen or more to really be productive is a basic need. I had a Dell Venue 8 Pro for awhile and loved it, but the screen size was a bit of a drawback... Also you are going to want fine tip pen support. It doubles as a mouse and a writing instrument.

Have you considered the Toshiba Encore 2 Write? Seems to hit the sweet spot between value and high function. Encore 2 Write Tablet | Toshiba
Someone reviewed the toshiba encore accross at the accordance forums, so it's on my radar, I'll have a wee look into them. Got a bit before I have to buy (got about a year left on my iPad contract!) so I have plenty of time to decide.

Ideal would be if Microsoft makes this new surface 3 that's rumored competitive and prices it around ?300. But that does not seem to be what's going to happen.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Welcome to Windows Central William.
Whereabouts in Scotland are you located? The 535 is an amazing piece of kit, especially for the price.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi there, I'm up in a town called Ellon, near Aberdeen.

Yeah I'm really liking the 535, as I'm not really a gamer it has all the power I need for what I use it for. Can't believe I was spending so much for so long and getting less ultimately!

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the WinCentral community !

Glad you are enjoying your Windows Devices. Happy to see that you are impressed by Windows Phone and Windows 10 ! As for your tablet, I think Microsoft just announced the Surface 3, so you might want to check it out. Otherwise, have fun with Windows. Theres more to come with Windows 10. :)

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
You're just like the six month old me. Except for the pastor thing, I'm not religious at all. I switched from an iPhone 5 to a Lumia 635, then Lumia 830. At first I was thrilled and enthusiastic, then reality hit and my fondness of Windows Phone slowly but steadily waded away. Today, I've taken an old iPhone 4S out of my colleague's drawer and am going to go back to Apple and iOS. I really regret that I gave my iPhone 5 to another colleague who is obviously not willing to return it to me at this point ;)

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: curb your enthusiasm, it'll go away. Judge the platform, hardware, and OS in six months, not less.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
You're just like the six month old me. Except for the pastor thing, I'm not religious at all. I switched from an iPhone 5 to a Lumia 635, then Lumia 830. At first I was thrilled and enthusiastic, then reality hit and my fondness of Windows Phone slowly but steadily waded away. Today, I've taken an old iPhone 4S out of my colleague's drawer and am going to go back to Apple and iOS. I really regret that I gave my iPhone 5 to another colleague who is obviously not willing to return it to me at this point ;)

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: curb your enthusiasm, it'll go away. Judge the platform, hardware, and OS in six months, not less.
My last departure from an iPhone lasted 3 weeks with a blackberry, then I gave up. This time, up to now, no regrets, what I use my phone for this phone does brilliantly. Even considering a surface next year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)