Hello from Florida...Hot, sticky Florida

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to all you good folks. I'm coming up to my first year with Windows phones. Working on my third. 530>635>640. I guess by the numbers I'm going the right direction. For a while now I've been adding my voice here and on /r/windowsphone.

So here's my formal introduction. I'm really Bill Short, learning from you guys and sharing that knowledge when I can.

I also like to ask everyone here on T-Mobile to stop by /r/tmobile. We need all the windows phone voices we can get to promote windowsphone to the carrier.

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Welcome!
While I have heard rumors on this site about a Microsoft/T-Mo partnership issue, I'm not certain it's true. Both companies seem to value partners. T-Mo is growing so fast, I would doubt they would want to hinder that growth by saying no to an entire platform. That being said, there are always unforeseen issues with US carriers, their inventory, product updates, rollouts and sometimes companies have a different opinion from us after they do their risk and cost analysis.
My personal opinion, is phone exclusives hinder the market. I would change carriers if the phone I wanted was on another carrier. But we aren't privy to what these partnerships entail. Perhaps the carriers want exclusivity, but perhaps the opinions at that level are changing and the reports we're seeing are reflecting only part of the story.
Apologies in advance in adding so much to your 'welcome' mail, but it seemed relevant in case you wanted to share it with the Reddit communities.
Cheers.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Whoa! Hot-N-Sticky Florida! Welcome! I'm in Mississippi, and it's pretty much hot-n-sticky here as well. I'm getting tired of the muggy weather, and am thankful for air-conditioning.

I went 520>635>640. Picked up the 640 this week, and am loving it. Great upgrade from the 635.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the site Bill!

What part of FL? I'm a Floridian as well... (NE FL. Just south of Jacksonville)

We're glad you joined our community, and are happy to have you here! I'm a big fan and user of reddit myself, so I'll be sure to stop by those subs and make our windows phone voice be heard!

Oh, my WP chain went like this: 920>1020>1520 (flagship kind of guy ;))

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the site Bill!

What part of FL? I'm a Floridian as well... (NE FL. Just south of Jacksonville)

We're glad you joined our community, and are happy to have you here! I'm a big fan and user of reddit myself, so I'll be sure to stop by those subs and make our windows phone voice be heard!

Oh, my WP chain went like this: 920>1020>1520 (flagship kind of guy ;))
I'm in the wonderful Panhandle, (read: armpit). Panama City. My WP llife was quite by chance. Probably one my better choices lately. Yes, I'd love a flagship, but...well maybe soon. Or is that "Coming Soon"

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to WindowsCentral Bill! I am currently using a 640 as well. I will stop by the reddit for windowsphone and T-Mobile since I am using my 640 on T-Mo right now...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the site. I believe you're wrong in assessing the Panhandle as the "armpit". That distinction belongs to the 305 (where I'm in) unless we've been assigned another, less-glamorous body part.

You've definitely hit a sweet spot with the 640, good luck.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi Bill and welcome to WindowsCentral! I'm glad you've joined our community.

Right now it's in the 90s here even in Cleveland, Ohio. So I can understand your weather.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Right now it's in the 90s here even in Cleveland, Ohio. So I can understand your weather.

No, 90s in Cleveland will not equal 90s in Florida (or in Mississippi where I'm at.) If you can throw in 24-7 100% humidity so that you can understand how muggy, sticky, and sweaty it gets, then you'll understand. The humidity is so thick it can make those not used to it work a lot harder to take breaths.

We got down to 60% humidity where I'm at once. I got a sore throat, because I'm not used to it being so dry.

We don't have saunas in the spas here, because you just have to step outside to get that.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No, 90s in Cleveland will not equal 90s in Florida (or in Mississippi where I'm at.) If you can throw in 24-7 100% humidity so that you can understand how muggy, sticky, and sweaty it gets, then you'll understand. The humidity is so thick it can make those not used to it work a lot harder to take breaths.

We got down to 60% humidity where I'm at once. I got a sore throat, because I'm not used to it being so dry.

We don't have saunas in the spas here, because you just have to step outside to get that.
Oh, I know. I've been to the South. I just wouldn't want to live there, due to the humidity.

I'd prefer CA, NV, AZ or NM. I much prefer dry heat.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
If I have to endure heat, I'd rather it be dry heat. But I'd also rather have grass than sand/dirt in my yard and not have to spend $400/month watering it to keep it. You learn to adjust and love it eventually. I was born and raised in it, so all is good.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've adapted to the humid sub-tropical climate of Florida myself, been down here for 30+ years, but I still do miss the summers back home in MA (yes, I'm a Yankee - or what native Floridians call "Snowbirds" people that migrate from up north to FL)

The summers, I miss, back home. Do NOT miss the winters!

Bill?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've adapted to the humid sub-tropical climate of Florida myself, been down here for 30+ years, but I still do miss the summers back home in MA (yes, I'm a Yankee - or what native Floridians call "Snowbirds" people that migrate from up north to FL)

The summers, I miss, back home. Do NOT miss the winters!

Bill?

No Ed, you're a damned Yankee because you stayed. :cool:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I started to say that, but then decided to be nice just because it was Ed.

Snowbirds is what they are called to their face, I believe. ;)

I'm sure Ed's a helluva guy, but he's from the Jacksonville area so I hate him by proxy. I spent 5 miserable years there and that's where my ex is from. Ed, you know I'm just bustin' your nuts.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the wonderful Panhandle, (read: armpit). Panama City. My WP llife was quite by chance. Probably one my better choices lately. Yes, I'd love a flagship, but...well maybe soon. Or is that "Coming Soon"

I declare I live in pc too.. 520 to icon on this end and you are right hot and muggy hehe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte