First time using a Windows phone

rocker1m1

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Coming mainly from Android for the past couple of years, this is the first time I am using a Windows phone with the Lumia 640XL and soon the 950XL. First impressions, damn the phone is so smooth and fast coming from S3. Everything is so crisp and beautiful, I sometimes just open the phone just to play with the UI. I also love how the battery management of Windows, it is incredible how slowly it eats battery. The only stinger, you guessed, coming rom Android, it is daunting to see so many apps simply don't exist and in it's place some knock-off apps. I am hoping the situation will improve dramatically with Windows 10, otherwise a great phone all around.

I hope to learn about Windows phone from here, as I am noob. Thanks for having me. Oh by the way, anyone know how to download the full office application programs on the phone. My android had much better functional office than the phone which feels dramatically stripped down.

Thanks

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Coming mainly from Android for the past couple of years, this is the first time I am using a Windows phone with the Lumia 640XL and soon the 950XL. First impressions, damn the phone is so smooth and fast coming from S3. Everything is so crisp and beautiful, I sometimes just open the phone just to play with the UI. I also love how the battery management of Windows, it is incredible how slowly it eats battery. The only stinger, you guessed, coming rom Android, it is daunting to see so many apps simply don't exist and in it's place some knock-off apps. I am hoping the situation will improve dramatically with Windows 10, otherwise a great phone all around.

I hope to learn about Windows phone from here, as I am noob. Thanks for having me. Oh by the way, anyone know how to download the full office application programs on the phone. My android had much better functional office than the phone which feels dramatically stripped down.

Thanks

First of all Welcome to the herd :D

As for the apps I could say it's a brighter future with Windows 10 Mobile. For example new Facebook app which is built especially for W10M is way better than this app found on WP8.1 .. Many more to come.

Office,
you'll have to get Windows 10 Mobile Insider preview to use it at the moment. However being an insider is totally up to you and on your own responsibility. Many of us here are already using W10M :) to help to discover bugs and to give feedback on how to improve the system or just for the sake of having it.

Latest system build is pretty stable, but still not prefect. Any way around it is meant to come out Officially in December. :)

If you would be interested in Insider program you can just search for it on the web as it's super easy.

Last edited:

bhtkb

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Oh by the way, anyone know how to download the full office application programs on the phone. My android had much better functional office than the phone which feels dramatically stripped down.

Unluckily, Microsoft itself considered their mobile user-base so low that they skipped Office apps for WP8.1 while providing brilliant apps for iOS/Android. Anyway, this sentence has been repeated so many times :) Just get into the Win10M preview if you really need them.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! We'll try to be as much help as possible.

I'd hold off a bit on the Windows 10 Mobile Insider preview for now. There's a bug that eats the battery pretty quick, and causes cortana to run wild in the background. Should be fixed soon, but I'd at least wait on that to be fixed.

Office apps are fabulous on it, though. It's the bugs in the latest build that has me waiting. It will be final soon enough. I can wait.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to WindowsCentral and thanks for the great intro. I played with the 950XL and the 640XL last week. Both are really nice devices.

rocker1m1

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. So Windows Phone does not support a third party keyboard right? So used to the Swiftkey on my S3 lol

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Welcome!

I guess it was late for me to write something easy to understand in my previous post.

To be more specific I also came here from Android and a tight connection with Google services that was also bothering me a first few months of use. However I got used to it after some time as you can easily synch Google mail, Calendar and such to Outlook if you really need to. Keep to OneNote, Docs to Office. I can say I still miss Google Maps as it's still better at finding things in my Country than HERE Maps or Microsoft Maps. But that's pretty much it. After some time you probably won't even think about missing anything at all.

As for Office we all know what to do now, but even as a long time user of W10M I would definitely not recommend you to join Insider program if you want to enjoy flawless experience.

And after all, the future of apps on Windows phones seems brighter every day as we can enjoy new Windows 10 apps more and more often as we're getting close to release date. I think this is the best time you joined Windows ecosystem.

And yes, there is a chance of a side effect that will get you to become a super Microsoft fan that will make you talk about it all the time.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. So Windows Phone does not support a third party keyboard right? So used to the Swiftkey on my S3 lol

Not at this time, I wish it was available too. Maybe sometime in the future or if enough people ask for it on the Windows phone UserVoice..

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Lets be real here. Windows phones aren't really the type u can toy with in terms of customization like the android. It's a glance and go kind of phone. Its for the busy people who likes the fast and minimalistic approach on phones. But it gets things done.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello and welcome to Windows and to Windows Central! :smile:

The Lumia 640XL has a large-battery capacity; hopefully all the future phones that will be released would have similar battery performance.

I guess you like really huge phones. Haven't seen and tested a Lumia 950XL yet, but I'm still hoping they'll release a successor to the Lumia 1020 - which reminds me, the photos taken from Windows Phones are also some of the best I've seen.:smile:

I'm sure you'll find these forums very informative; if you've got any questions, or even anything in mind you'd want to share, simply start a new thread and our member-base will soon meet you with the best arsenal they can give.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to our side of the world! and like Rhapdog said, it's probably best to not jump in with the insider crowd at the moment, especially if battery life means that much to you

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Actually the keyboard on windows phone is far superior than any other platform....

you can type by clicking any letter - daah

but you can also swipe like you use swiftkey... its actually very fluid, works with a bunch of languages, because i think it learns from other people and adds to the dictionary.

Edit: and welcome to our small planet.

btw people saying that windows did not create a good office experience on windows phone.... lets be real, windows phone where the first to have it, then the started developing to android and ios and w10M, and they are all ready now... i use it on windows 10, but sadly W10M is the one that is not ready.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb