How slow/powerful will this be?

Frans van Bellen

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
On a lot of websites people complain about the low specs of the yoga book. Since I have no experience with Windows tablets (I'm an Android user looking to migrate), I'm having difficulty imagining his powerful this will be. I guess it will be able to run a web browser effortlessly, but Photoshop might be a problem. Correct?

Can you guys tell me what the expected power level will be? What software will run, and what software won't?

Thanks in advance!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The lenovo yoga book hasL

• 1.44GHz which can boost to 2.4GHz (Intel Atom x5-Z8550 two cores, four threads)
  • Intel HD 520 GPU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 64GB plus microSD up to 128GB

With these specs I doubt you will be able to do much in photoshop :winktongue:

Frans van Bellen

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
I expected Photoshop to be to much, but I was wondering where the cut-off point is. To find the"heaviest" software this tablet will run. Maybe it's an impossible question, but since I've never owned a windows tablet I'm having a hard time guessing what it will be capable of.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I expected Photoshop to be to much, but I was wondering where the cut-off point is. To find the"heaviest" software this tablet will run. Maybe it's an impossible question, but since I've never owned a windows tablet I'm having a hard time guessing what it will be capable of.

I would expect it to run apps from store, not gaming of course, office apps/programs, browsers without too many addons, simple editing software and such.

note that the processor seems old and the graphics is also a bit behind

Frans van Bellen

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
When I compare benchmarks of those components to my older PC (Intel E5700, GeForce GT520, same RAM), the Yoga seems to come out ahead. Does this mean software that runs on this PC will also run on the Yoga, or is there an inherent slowness on it because of being a tablet?

koobta

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I was wondering the same as I'm not good with understanding specs and such. I hope it can at least run Photoshop since it's my tool of trade. :/

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
When I compare benchmarks of those components to my older PC (Intel E5700, GeForce GT520, same RAM), the Yoga seems to come out ahead. Does this mean software that runs on this PC will also run on the Yoga, or is there an inherent slowness on it because of being a tablet?

It should run, but did your old pc run windows 10 well?
The demands of windows 10 might be higher now than it was when it was 7 or vista. The RAM is certainly enough, on my surface 3 with 4GB RAM the OS and system use 1.8-1.9GB RAM.

So light programs that have a minimum RAM requirement of less than 1GB will run well

Software like MATLAB for engineers needs 4GB RAM minimum and that cannot run on the yoga device

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering the same as I'm not good with understanding specs and such. I hope it can at least run Photoshop since it's my tool of trade. :/

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

2 things jumped out to me: the RAM requirement is 1GB minimum - so it's cutting close
Second is the minimum graphics 512MB

One more is the processor - 2GHz. The yoga can achieve that but it would be struggling by then

Frans van Bellen

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
It should run, but did your old pc run windows 10 well?
The demands of windows 10 might be higher now than it was when it was 7 or vista. The RAM is certainly enough, on my surface 3 with 4GB RAM the OS and system use 1.8-1.9GB RAM.

So light programs that have a minimum RAM requirement of less than 1GB will run well

Software like MATLAB for engineers needs 4GB RAM minimum and that cannot run on the yoga device
It runs windows 10 very well. I never tried Photoshop on it, but sometimes use it for light work.

Tarwinia

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
It also depends on what you're doing in Photoshop. Just using the clone stamp or blur tool to touch vacation photos will need much less resources (CPU/ gpu/ RAM) than something high resolution with several layers and various effects.

My guess is that for professionals it might be some basic/quick edits/sketches on the go but that "serious" should be done in another machine.

On the other hand it comes with ArtRage lite trial on the Windows version (And the "full" app on Android), which shows they do care about creativity.

So yeah, browsing and Word will run without any problems. The rest depends on what you do with it.

P.s. A little reminder when looking at system requirements. The memory requirements (RAM, hard drive and video memory) won't change, but the speed is harder to judge as performance (IPC) changes each generation. There are games which all for 2ghz CPU minimum from a few years back but run fine on a 1ghz processor from this year (And a new core i3 can outperform an older core i5). So make sure you pay attention to those details.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
There isn't much difference between the 8550 in the Yoga Book and the 8700 in the Surface 3. The S3 seems to do a decent job at Photoshop. You can check some opinions

(@5:03)
here

and here

Tarwinia

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the video. As he he says, it's enough for light photo editing but not heavy duty stuff (he says at the end that it wouldn't met his photo/video editing needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon