Terrible performance in WIndows 10

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded by bother-in-law's 8" to Windows 10.

In Windows 8 is was super slick and responsive with not a hint of lag.

In Windows 10, it's a jittery, jumpy and unresponsive. I was really quite shocked at how bad it is. I've since read that Atom based systems seem to suffer in particular (although my friend's top of the range Yoga 2 Pro is also astonishing laggy).

Is there any solution? I really don't want to have to take him back to Win 8 having been extolling the virtues of Windows 10.

It just shouldn't be like this, there is zero reason for Windows 10 to perform worse.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Try doing a fresh install once it has been activated. If windows wasn't activated through a Microsoft account, you'll have to make a note of the key first. Also, make sure all of the drivers are up to date.

charleybrown_de

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

In the German Amazon reviews for this product I found a user who reports the same problem after upgrading to Win 10.

I'm translating his solution:
The issue is caused by a Lenovo service that is not really needed. The service is called "Lenovo Smart Switch". This services causes the system to run very sluggishly after some time even though the task manager doesn't seem to show anything strange. The service does not seem to provide any functionality that I might have missed so far.

If you are affected by this problems, here's how to deactivate this service:
1. Click "Start", enter "services" and hit "Enter"
2. In the right-hand list, select "Lenovo Smart Switch"
3. Right-click on it and select "Properties"
4. Change the "Startup Type" to "Disabled"
5. Below, click the button "Stop" to manually stop the running service
6. Hit "Apply" and close the window

Maybe this is worth a try for you? Hope it helps!

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the information Charley Brown, really useful, I'll give that a go the next time I see him. Hopefully it'll sort it.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Poor performance on the Atom z3745 is exactly why I've been hesitant to upgrade to Windows 10. Granted, that could just be one of many issues, I just know that my Toshiba Encore 2 seemed more sluggish after upgrading. Even after doing a fresh install (multiple times), it never felt as good as 8.1

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I finally got to try this out on my brother-in-law's tablet. Having disabled the Lenovo Smart Switch service, I can't say I noticed any difference in performance.

However, I noticed that the scrolling in Edge (with or without the service running) was super smooth. It was just in the start screen that the scrolling was awfully laggy and jerky.

So I disabled the live tiles and hey presto the scrolling was smooth.

This really is inexcusable and disappointing. Windows 8 was super smooth and fast on this tablet so it's certainly not a hardware issue. It's so disappointing that Windows 10 is so much slower in performance (this is also true of my Core i7 desktop - slower performing although without the jerkiness).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes