LG E900h (Optimus 7) on Telus Canada doesn't show my own phone number

oakmario

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have a new LG Optimus 7 phone (LG-E900h) in Canada that's connected to the Telus network.

This phone came pre-installed with Windows Phone 7.5.

This may seem like a very simple question, but I've spent over 2 hours looking through the phone and on the web to try and figure out if there's anywhere on the phone itself to tell you what this phone's actual cell phone number is. I couldn't find it anywhere!

The only way I can find out my own phone's number is to log into my Telus account on the web to view my account information. This is rediculous. Since I don't phone myself and I may lend my phone to my wife or other family members, if someone asks them for their phone number, often people can't remember it. Then the first thing you think of is "It must be in the phone itself somewhere, right?" and you go hunting through all the menus, settings, etc... but it's nowhere to be found!

Can anyone tell me where in Windows Phone 7.5 does it show your own phone's actual cell number?

--------

when I go to Settings > Applications (pivot item) > phone, there is no "My phone number". Here's what I see in the Settings > Phone screen:

Voicemail number : (a full phone number to my voicemail number, which is different than my actual cell phone number because I have to dial into this voicemail number to hear my voice messages)

Show my called ID to: (and a drop down menu of choice of: everyone, no one, my contacts

Call forwarding: (a toggle button on/off)

International assist: (a toggle button on/off)
Turning on this feature will help automatically correct some common mistakes while dialing internationally or dialing while abroad.

Sim security: (a toggle button on/off)

-------

I am using Telus in Canada. I just talked to someone that has a Windows Phone 7.5 on a Samsung Focus and they are with the Rogers network also in Canada (same city in fact) and he says the very first line of his Settings > Phone shows his own cell phone number.

I'm beginning to think that this screen is dependant on the SIM card inserted into the phone itself or is dependant on the features the network carrier actually provides to the phone and it is not part of the software to show it or not.

This is very troubling as you would think that if you forget (since when you're new or don't call your own number or give it out much) you might want to quickly look it up on a screen in the phone itself.

Please help me understand how or why this feature is not there. Is it dependant on what is coded inside the SIM card itself? Or if the network carrier has to activate this feature for you?

anon(5261015)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I also have the LG Optimus 7 on Telus. The only time I have seen my phone number on my phone is when I activated it and Telus sent me a SMS with it in it.

If I go to Settings>Applications>phone
I can see my voicemail number but that is all.

oakmario

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, isn't that fascinating? Thanks for the confirmation moose0030.
I wonder if this is something Telus turned off on purpose or if it's because I'm locked into Telus on a 1 year contract?

I just found out that my friend that has the Samsung Focus with Windows Phone 7.5 is on the Rogers network in Canada. He bought the phone outright UNLOCKED from the USA (it was an AT&T branded phone), but imported it back to Canada and put in a Rogers SIM card into it. His phone shows his own phone number as the first thing before the Voicemail number on that same Settings > Applications > Phone screen.

Very strange indeed...I asked Microsoft about it and they mentioned that there are a few minor items that OEM/Carriers can customize so this may be one of them.

I also put in a request to Telus and asked them directly why it is not shown or is being hidden on purpose. We'll see if I get a response.

Keep the info coming...The more people can confirm this is the case, the better I can link the clues to figure out why it is the way it is.

Thanks!

Allthisforwhat

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
go to Settings applications phone, it should be there, it's there on my LG. If you go to Telus mobility website it should show up there when you login.

oakmario

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.. Allthisforwhat...is your phone Unlocked? Which carrier are you with?

Yes, I know that by logging into the Telus mobility site it shows my phone number on my account. I was hoping it would show it on my phone, but it doesn't.

Seems Telus is blocking it out.

Allthisforwhat

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Telus with a locked phone. I can see my phone number when I tap the phone icon, call settings, and my phone number is the same as my voice mail number.

oakmario

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Strange...What province are you in? I'm in Manitoba so that may be a difference because when I log into the Telusmobility website, I can't see my actual voice minutes used because it says voice call tracking is not available in your province.

Maybe the network here in Manitoba doesn't support this feature of supplying the actual phone number? Hmm...that doesn't make sense either, really. The phone number is inside the SIM chip as far as I understand, so the phone should be able to read it out of there.

Still puzzled by this. I will have to give Telus support a call some day when I have time during their support hours to ask them about this.

Oh, and one more thing, your voicemail number is the same as your own phone number? That's weird. My voicemail number is the only one showing and it's completely different than my own cell number. This is because I can dial into the voicemail system from any phone anywhere and listen to the messages if I don't happen to have my cell phone with me or I have it turned off.

Keep the info coming...I like the mystery. :)

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I can see my mobile number in the settings on my phone and Voicemail is also different.

Carrier locked on 3 yrs in Alberta

oakmario

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I also have the LG Optimus 7 on Telus. The only time I have seen my phone number on my phone is when I activated it and Telus sent me a SMS with it in it.

If I go to Settings>Applications>phone
I can see my voicemail number but that is all.
Thanks for that moose0030. What province are you in? It may have to do with Telus in Manitoba specifically because they don't provide airtime tracking.

Maybe that's why they don't show the number? Doesn't seem right to me though because it should be inside the SIM card and the phone OS should be able to pick it up from there.

anon(5261015)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that moose0030. What province are you in? It may have to do with Telus in Manitoba specifically because they don't provide airtime tracking.

Maybe that's why they don't show the number? Doesn't seem right to me though because it should be inside the SIM card and the phone OS should be able to pick it up from there.

I'm in Ontario. Hmm...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss