Quantum Question...

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I work in an environment where I cannot have my phone with me during the day. I leave it in a lock box outside my office during the day. Did I mention that I am also in the basement of my building? Anyway, no signal down there. I had been turning my phone off before locking it away for 8 hours. My battery time has sucked. I noticed that it was just on weekdays that my battery would not make it until bedtime, or if it did it was just barely. On weekend it seemed I had plenty of battery left at the end of the day.

Now it gets weird. For the last week or so I have been putting my phone in airplane mode and leaving it on before locking it up. For the last week I have been getting pretty good battery life. I mention this at work and one of my co-workers said it was because even if the phone is 'off' it is still trying to connect to the network. Sitting in the locker, it constantly searches for a signal thus eating my battery all day long. By putting it in airplane mode, I prevent it from searching thereby saving my battery.

Anyone know if this is true?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I work in an environment where I cannot have my phone with me during the day. I leave it in a lock box outside my office during the day. Did I mention that I am also in the basement of my building? Anyway, no signal down there. I had been turning my phone off before locking it away for 8 hours. My battery time has sucked. I noticed that it was just on weekdays that my battery would not make it until bedtime, or if it did it was just barely. On weekend it seemed I had plenty of battery left at the end of the day.

Now it gets weird. For the last week or so I have been putting my phone in airplane mode and leaving it on before locking it up. For the last week I have been getting pretty good battery life. I mention this at work and one of my co-workers said it was because even if the phone is 'off' it is still trying to connect to the network. Sitting in the locker, it constantly searches for a signal thus eating my battery all day long. By putting it in airplane mode, I prevent it from searching thereby saving my battery.

Anyone know if this is true?

Now why would a cell phone still try to connect to the network even when it's off?

Does that mean the FBI is trying to track us? :shocked:

Well anyway, I suppose if you want to test and see if what your friend said is true, try turning it off for a few days and see what the battery is like, then for the next few days turn it off and physically remove the battery from the phone and see what happens.

But I still doubt that cell phones try to connect to the network when it's off. Unless people are spying on you. ;)

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Very strange indeed. I had noticed that I had a difficult time keeping my Quantum off. It would restart most of the time, soon after powering down. I would try the battery pull trick. Then you will know for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa