Wp7.8 possible unavailability for quantum

rossart12

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
As it seems like LG has washed their hands of Windows Phone recently, I decided to contact them regarding future updates for my Quantum. It has been made public that Microsoft will be pushing the latest update OTA to all phone, however there are rumors circulating that it may not come to all legacy phones (presumably those manufactured by LG). There is still a shred of hope that Microsoft will bypass the OEMs and update all phones, but it is certainly looking grim for users of the C900 Quantum and E900 Optimus 7. Attached is the response I received from LG Customer Support.

"------Reply to Your Inquiry-------

Hey Ross!Thank you for contacting LG Electronics. We are delighted to hear from you as our Valued Customer.Unfortunately, updates for this device may not be done, there hasn’t been any agreement till now between LG, AT&T, and Microsoft, and honestly it does not appear to be in the works.If it were available , it’s usually done through a computer with the Zune software from Microsoft. I hope this information is helpful, please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have any other inquiry. I will gladly assist you.
Respectfully,
E-mail AdministratorLGEAI | Customer Interactive Center"

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Listen, first of all it is NOT, I repeat NOT, coming OTA. STOP quoting that crap.

Since these are changes to the OS that are largely superficial and don't impact hardware or firmware, it is entirely possible MS can push this update as device neutral and therefore everyone CAN get it. At this point there are only two uncooperative WP device makers (LG and Dell). It wouldn't break Microsoft's bank to test these devices themselves and issue an update for them directly via ATT and T-Mo. None of those devices are in warranty anymore, so it wouldn't be like either LG or Microsoft would be on the hook if something went wrong.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
ATT LG Quantum successfully updated to 8779 from 8773. I had to unbrand it first and then do the Zune trick. I haven't proceeded to 8858 because Zune made a backup so I will wait a few days to make sure the phone is stable first.

RSB54

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I've tried the Zune trick to no avail, not surprised. I am stuck at 7720.68 (AT&T). How do you unbrand/debrand?

Update: I figured out how to go into MFG and remove "ATT-US", which I think means it is unbranded. But that still did not get the Zune trick to find an update. I've seen reference to changing to Rogers, not sure what the exact values are to input (maybe it is "Rogers"? I plan to keep trying this, maybe eventually going the CAB install route. But I'm pretty novice & nervous!

Last edited:

jackau09

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
hi, i have an Australia Telstra network LG optimus 7 Q which is identical to Quantum by design
I use a combination of Cutting wifi trick and the seveneighter update tool to successfully upgraded the phone to 7.8
It took some three hour to complete the whole the process (include two long backups because i have 12 GB of stuff installed.)
it is now running 7.10.8858.136
hardware revision is 1.1.0.0

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I had a few issues with live tiles on 7.8 which I updated in December, there was a new update on Navifirm yesterday and all problems are solved, works like a dream now. Lumia 900

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I had a few issues with live tiles on 7.8 which I updated in December, there was a new update on Navifirm yesterday and all problems are solved, works like a dream now. Lumia 900

Are you talking about 7.8 on your Lumia or Quantum?

I am tempted to put 7.8 on my Lumia 900 using 78'er method. But being that I already have enough Live Tile issues and my old Quantum with 7.8 on it it's tiles haven't updated since..

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
On my lumia 900 mate, the only app I have issues with at the moment is the wpcentral app not updating.. Fingers crossed it stays that way.. I flashed the latest 823 update on navifirm..

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I put the 7.8 update on my LG Quantum. There really wasn't enough to it, to get me too excited after I upgraded, but it's better than nothing. :grin:

B Eubanks

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Have any Live Tiles stopped working?
My LiveTiles on my WP7.8 Quantum have stopped working three times now. I've gone through the annoying process of uninstalling the affected apps, soft resetting, powering off, powering on, re-installing apps, and re-pinning, all of which seems to fix it...for a while. Still, I love the new start screen. The new tile sizes mean I have a lot less flicking through tiles to get to the ones at the bottom of my start screen.

Kenny G Jr

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I'm currently updating my Quantum to the latest version, with no tricks. Zune says it's version 7.10.8862.144. At first I heard that LG won't be updating this model, so I didn't bother to complain. But to my surprise, I seem to be getting everything. It seems like a good snowy day, in Canada, for me. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb