Where's the data coming from?

Kenny G Jr

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Because I constantly go over my data with my phone, I've been switching to Wi-Fi mode more often and I turn off my data with Bell. I noticed though, that when I turn off my Wi-Fi and I plug in my phone to the computer, I still get my mail, apps update, and apps that usually require data, receive it. I've checked my data online with Bell, and no additional data is used during the time I have my Wi-Fi off and my Bell data connection off. So data is flowing through my phone from my computer? Is the phone using the Wi-Fi from my computer?

I don't know if anyone else has this phenomenon, and I don't know if it's a glitch in the software, but is anyone else going through this with their phone? Do any other WP7, 7.5, 7.8 or 8 do this when they are plugged into the computer?

BTW, I'm not complaining, it's great, but I was wondering if it's the software (7.5), the phone (Quantum 7) or is it Zune causing this interesting connection. When I upgrade my phone, I'm hoping this continues with the next phone I get. :wink:

Vikram Dinesh

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Because I constantly go over my data with my phone, I've been switching to Wi-Fi mode more often and I turn off my data with Bell. I noticed though, that when I turn off my Wi-Fi and I plug in my phone to the computer, I still get my mail, apps update, and apps that usually require data, receive it. I've checked my data online with Bell, and no additional data is used during the time I have my Wi-Fi off and my Bell data connection off. So data is flowing through my phone from my computer? Is the phone using the Wi-Fi from my computer?

I don't know if anyone else has this phenomenon, and I don't know if it's a glitch in the software, but is anyone else going through this with their phone? Do any other WP7, 7.5, 7.8 or 8 do this when they are plugged into the computer?

BTW, I'm not complaining, it's great, but I was wondering if it's the software (7.5), the phone (Quantum 7) or is it Zune causing this interesting connection. When I upgrade my phone, I'm hoping this continues with the next phone I get. :wink:

This is a feature built into all smartphones. All smartphones use the computer's internet connection when they are plugged in to a computer. Even good old Windows Mobile used to do it. Android does this and so does IOS. All versions of Windows phone also do this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte