Battery Life

Vani Prasad

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I bought MS Lumia 535...It came with initial charge of 63% but upon initial booting & settings during first time it came down to 58%..AT 58% i started charging upto 100% upon completion of 100% charge I removed charging....But battery is draining too fast...Like an Android Mobile...How to solve this issue....??????
Should we charge the Mobile Initially overnight for first time...As I already mentioned the problem above..Today is my second charge I started at 7% charging my mobile,should I charge overnight today...Will this resolve the fast draining Problem.....

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
What exactly is "fast"? How many % per hour or how many minutes per % charge?

What were you doing with your phone while it was not plugged to the charger?

We need numbers/figures for more concrete comments.

Nevilleness

May 12, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 535 with stock firmware discharged after about 30-40 hours.
After installing a big update in April (I think), battery is twice as effective. (70+ hours, depending on usage).
So, if you say it's a brand new phone, I think you should start with the full update and then test the battery life.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 535 with stock firmware discharged after about 30-40 hours.
After installing a big update in April (I think), battery is twice as effective. (70+ hours, depending on usage).
So, if you say it's a brand new phone, I think you should start with the full update and then test the battery life.

Thanks for these. I had a L535, 30-40 hours before full discharge is reasonable, but 70+ hours? Are you not connected to mobile data through your L535?

P.S.
It is not advisable to fully drain the battery of your phone... both based on the reports of other users where the phone won't start anymore right after a full drain and from a chemical engineering perspective.

Nevilleness

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I am connected to 3G and WiFi.
Of course I have to admit, that I use my phone mostly for texting and reading few e-mails a day, checking weather and other basic information.
I'm not facebook or mobile gaming fan and I don't treat these functions like something like I can't live without.
So it's obvious that my battery can last longer than the other, like I said - it depends on usage.
The point is, the update was a big improvement FOR ME, comparing to the previous firmware version. In my case it's about 100% longer, the others can tell they don't see the difference. BTW I hope it works for everyone :)

And I know, that fully draining the battery is not a good idea and I don't do that.

P.S.
The improvement may be connected to my particular hardware version: 3.0.0.0
Unfortunately this HW version have a big issue with touch panel (especially multitouch). Even with the latest update it still is way less responsive than expected. Maybe Windows 10 or another 8.1 update will fix this, because after all I'm really pleased with my L535.

P.S. 2
Sorry for my English.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Charging overnight doesnt make a difference than charging it until its full.

Give it a couple days, maybe you're playing with it too much to get a good sense of how much it'll last under normal use.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am connected to 3G and WiFi.
Of course I have to admit, that I use my phone mostly for texting and reading few e-mails a day, checking weather and other basic information.
I'm not facebook or mobile gaming fan and I don't treat these functions like something like I can't live without.
So it's obvious that my battery can last longer than the other, like I said - it depends on usage.
The point is, the update was a big improvement FOR ME, comparing to the previous firmware version. In my case it's about 100% longer, the others can tell they don't see the difference. BTW I hope it works for everyone :)

And I know, that fully draining the battery is not a good idea and I don't do that.

P.S.
The improvement may be connected to my particular hardware version: 3.0.0.0
Unfortunately this HW version have a big issue with touch panel (especially multitouch). Even with the latest update it still is way less responsive than expected. Maybe Windows 10 or another 8.1 update will fix this, because after all I'm really pleased with my L535.

P.S. 2
Sorry for my English.

That's great news, then. Unfortunately, my L535 is now with my sister so I can't really test the battery life now. I must mention that I've got the dual SIM variant - not sure how the phone handles the idle SIM 2 antenna, but if it's really smart it shouldn't be doing anything with it.

P.S.
Hmm, we've got the same hardware revision number.
There has been a rather informative discussion on the screen issue of the L535 here, here, here and a quick summary of it all here. But to save you from reading all of them, basically the only real solution is to have the screen replaced - Microsoft seems to be honoring the warranty in some places, so you may want to check the service centers in your area for this.

Improvements in having the screen replaced include reliable screen responsiveness and improved automatic brightness responsiveness.

P.P.S.
You're English is alright.

P.P.P.S.
Welcome to Windows Central.:cool:

vipme

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
My L535 DS lasts about 2-3 days form full charge to under 5% battery capacity, at normal usage like texting, calls, and some internet. Battery drain when idle (wireless, cellular data and location are active) is abot 1% per hour, and up to10% per hour for calls depending on carrier signal strength. I usually keep my battery charged between 50-85% for best battery life performance.

wp_ss_20150512_0001 - Copy.png

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing this information.

Based on the charts, the average (total average) battery drain for your phone is ~2%/hr, which should give ~50 hours total battery life - more than two days which isn't bad! :cool:

Using internet, were you on Wi-Fi or 3G?

How many apps have you allowed to run in the background?

Keep it up with the 50-85% practice - that is, indeed, beneficial to the longevity of Li-ion batteries.:wink:

vipme

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Have more than 20 apps that are allowed to run in the background, but during the day only social apps are draining more than 2% of battery, usualy 5-10% depending on usage per app, per day.

About 12 hours the phone is connected to Wi-Fi, the other 12 its on 3G or H+. But most websearching is over the Wi-Fi.

Also i forgot to mention, HERE maps voice navigation and GPS uses about 15-20% of battery per hour.

My longest run was 2 days 17 hours and 3 minutes :smile:
Link to app i used -> Battery status
wp_ss_20150520_0003.png

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again for the info. I've only used a battery monitoring app on my L1020 before it broke down, so when I got an L535 as a temporary phone I didn't have one installed. I did notice, however, that the battery life of my L1020 was somehow shorter with a battery monitoring app installed than without.

Could you verify this for us, at least for your L535?:cool:

I'll be installing this app on my L1020 and see how battery life is affected... for your reference, I used Battery Pro+, but the app you're using seems to be better.

vipme

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
App used 2.5% battery in the last 24 hours, 1.6% in last 48 hours, and on average less then 1% in the last 7 days time, just checked it. I think it updates every 30 minutes, but you can set how frequently you want it to take stats in the app settings.

In my experience the screen LCD is using most of the battery.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but did you mean that the 24-hour average in the last 24 hours was 2.5%?

Yes, the LCD uses a lot of the battery, but depending on the quality of the signal (Wi-Fi and/or 2G/3G) the antenna could use up more power.

vipme

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Its info from "Battery saver", I think its total consumption in last 24h, because when idle, with aps in background, wifi and location active, the battery drain is between 0,8-2%.

Well now I could imagine how the L640 with its 2500mAh battery performs.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh, from Battery Saver. There have been reported bugs with Battery Saver, one of which I have experienced where one of the apps and email accounts reported 100% usage in the last 24 hours whereas it was clear that my phone never went below 60% charge in 24 hours. So there's some degree of unreliability or ambiguity in the data that battery saver reports in terms of the magnitude of the consumption, but with regards to which apps consume the most power battery saver is pretty reliable, as well as in limiting background tasks.

My parents (both fruit phone users) recently "bought" a Lenovo droid phone because of one unanimous reason: 4000mAh battery. After two days of "normal" use, battery level dropped from 100% to 65%.

The L1520 has a 3,400mAh battery and it has been reported to perform well, but the phone also has a large HD screen. We'll see how the L640 compares but I'm guessing it should be a close match with it's wide-screened ancestor - smaller screen, smaller battery but two antennas to feed. Nonetheless, it should perform a lot better than most Lumias now.

vipme

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
The second antenna is turned off, I think, if there is no SIM card. I use my second sim slot on the dual sim phome mainly when traveling abroad. Its cheaper to buy a new SIM and number in the country I'm traveling to, than to use my carriers roaming feature.

I'll do some tests how the battery drains when used for playing music or gaming along with internet, calls and texting. Because my current usage is pretty basic, only business related stuff, no fun with the phone. :eck:

SaltCityBoy

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
If I don't use phone a lot, it can last for 2 days with Wi-fi or Mobile Data turned on all the time. If I'm using it for games, internet, facebook one day is maximum.

Kami1990

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
What exactly is "fast"? How many % per hour or how many minutes per % charge?

What were you doing with your phone while it was not plugged to the charger?

We need numbers/figures for more concrete comments.

I have lumia for more then 2 weeks and i experiance battery drain about 26% per hour.

During the last charge cycle..
1) Wifi was full time on
2) Location service was on for 10 to 20 mins max.
3) Whatsapp was used mostly
4) Web surfing
5) Played Temple run, One run only max 10 to 15 mins
6) Mobile data is completely off
7) Screen rotation is fixed for all time
8) Screen brightness was low for most of the time
9) Background process other then whatsapp, weather and Battery status is off for the apps
10) Battery drain over night was 2% with wifi on

And yet i got 17hours of battery

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa