Lumia 640 XL Bugs + Defects

Zkal

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Anyone having weird issue where the rotation locks to portrait mode? After restart it'll work fine but in few days normally out of the blue it'll just lock rotation unless I restart. And yes, rotation lock is off :p

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Anyone having weird issue where the rotation locks to portrait mode? After restart it'll work fine but in few days normally out of the blue it'll just lock rotation unless I restart. And yes, rotation lock is off :p

Nothing as such for me till date. Why don't you try a hard reset? It might solve the issue!

Arman Dones

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys! Anybody here from the philippines? Like me. I need my 640xl repaired as its screen was cracked. I consulted this to service center but its too expensive. Service and parts would amount to more than half of the price I bought this.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
To me this doesn't sound like something that can be fixed with a reboot or reset (had what sounds like the same problem with my old 710). It should be under warranty, have you contacted Microsoft on this issue?

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Not directly. I took it to the shop where I bought it but they wouldn't exchange it. They said they would have to send it in and it would take a month! It's only a month old!

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
As far as I can tell the yellow spot appeared on the same day I installed the latest update. The yellow spot seems to be directly above the battery contact in the back. Another weird thing is that my phone gets the hottest when I walk or drive. Then the yellow spot is the brightest.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
..The yellow spot seems to be directly above the battery contact in the back...

I'm in the same boat with the yellow discoloration. I got mine through an ebay seller, and am basically SOL for getting any sort of refund/warranty help. the only flip side is that it appears that it may be relatively easy to replace the screen, though not cheap.
if you so a search on ebay for lumia 640 xl touchscreens, you can buy the whole screen assembly. you can also see where there's a connection near the top, which looks like it is exactly where the discoloration is occurring:
car_sup_digital_lcd_microsoft_640_xl_002o.jpg
my guess is theres some bad resistor or something that shorted out. but, looking at all those locations make me think its a relatively easy job to replace the screen. like unbolt and rebolt the screen on. I've never done it, and am somewhat miffed that i would have to do this on a 1 month old phone, but I may do it just as a project.

disclaimer, I don't vouch for this ebay seller, although I do believe they're the ones that people linked to for getting 1520 parts...

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Now I'm worried cause I just ordered mine off Ebay, should be here Monday. Can I ask which seller you bought from? I ordered mine from a vendor others on this site stated they had used before.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sure. It was tropical_mobile. To be fair, I'll give the full transaction details. I used the buy it now function, and I had the phone within 5 days from Singapore. Product looked fine when I got it, and it still functions, but with the yellow discoloration. When I bought it, I knew there would be limited support for it as I'm not buying it from a more reputable seller, and I bought no insurance for it, but I wanted to take the risk.

The seller has followed up about the issue, however, they are not as expedient as when they sent the original device. I haven't and probably wont leave negative feedback, since they aren't responsible for a faulty product. But I will be more hesitant to buy from ebay, versus someone like bhphoto or expanses, who are slightly more legitimate and have options for warranty.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the discoloration issues. Just a heads up... I've purchased four different WPs from a great eBay seller who offers returns and a variety of insurance options. I've never bothered with the insurance though. The seller's name is never-msrp. Brand new, unlocked phones for good prices. I've been very satisfied.

Hebraist

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow, what a piece of junk. That makes me so disappointed. I'm in the Czech republic and I don't really have options. I regret getting this phone. I waited for years for a low cost large phone. I guess I'm just going to have to live with it.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the discoloration issues. Just a heads up... I've purchased four different WPs from a great eBay seller who offers returns and a variety of insurance options. I've never bothered with the insurance though. The seller's name is never-msrp. Brand new, unlocked phones for good prices. I've been very satisfied.

I purchased mine from the Ebay reseller you mentioned having used before in another post.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I purchased mine from the Ebay reseller you mentioned having used before in another post.

Hopefully, you'll have the same experiences I've had with that seller. I know they have a return policy, so I'd put the phone to work for a couple of days just to make sure it's something you'll be ok with. Good luck.

born2rulz

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I am not able to get any solution for the issue with Camera of my 640 XL. I dont know why but all thee pictures I take from my 640 XL in day light (full natural light) the pictures comes shady and darker. I have tried with rich capture on/off but I get the same result. A fridn of mine has recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Max and have a 13 MP camera. So I took a picture in same light at same time from both the phones. The picture of Samsung phonwe was looking so bright and sharp. Apart from this I am very happy with my Lumia 640 XL.

iTroll

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone else have issues toggling rich capture or am I the only one who ends up focussing and starting the LED flash a couple of times before it toggles?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else have issues toggling rich capture or am I the only one who ends up focussing and starting the LED flash a couple of times before it toggles?

I've had this happen to me a few times too. Wish there were some sort screen calibration tool we could use to narrow in our taps. Or maybe my fingers are just too big. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte