Gave up on the 640 XL

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Well, I waited.. and waited.. and waited... and waited for the 640 XL LTE to be released in the U.S. Really wanted to try a Windows Phone, but I got really sick of my temporary LG Zone I've been using ever since my Droid stopped working about 4 or 5 months ago. I ended up buying a new Asus Zenfone 2 for $199 and a re-manufactured LG G2 for $140. I'll try them both out when they get here and my nephew gets the one I like the least.... so long 640 XL, I'll always have the memories.... of not being able to buy you three months after your announcement!

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
The reason I asked was if one can buy the phone unlocked from other sources then why not buy the 640 XL LTE the same way?

The Asus Zenfone 2 was officially released in the U.S. by Asus just a few days ago. The Lumia 640 XL has not been released in the U.S. by Microsoft. You're paying a third party seller more money than the phone will sell for when/if released, sometimes a lot more. It may be worth it to some, not to me. Some third party resellers where selling the Zenfone 2 for 1/3 more than Asus is selling them for. To me that makes no sense. If I wanted to spend $350-$400 I could get a new Note 3, LG G3, Moto X 2nd addition etc. The whole point with these off-brand phones is the value you get for the money you spend.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The Asus Zenfone 2 was officially released in the U.S. by Asus just a few days ago. The Lumia 640 XL has not been released in the U.S. by Microsoft. You're paying a third party seller more money than the phone will sell for when/if released, sometimes a lot more. It may be worth it to some, not to me. Some third party resellers where selling the Zenfone 2 for 1/3 more than Asus is selling them for. To me that makes no sense. If I wanted to spend $350-$400 I could get a new Note 3, LG G3, Moto X 2nd addition etc. The whole point with these off-brand phones is the value you get for the money you spend.

You do realize the phone retails for US $250-300 for the unlocked version throughout the world? The ones sold online are more or less priced similar to the actual price of an unlocked device. A Moto X, LG G3 or the Note 3 do not cost anywhere around 350-400 for the unlocked variant, probably around 600-650. If you were looking for the carrier subsidized price then it does come with its own disadvantages along with the low price that you were probably waiting for (assumption?) but the prices quoted by online retailers are correct. Tomorrow if Microsoft starts selling the unlocked 640 XL variant then expect its prices to be no less than 250 for the LTE variant. The ASUS Zenphone 2 is being priced 200 for the unlocked factory variant that actually is cheaper with our without being a carrier or a country variant. My point was if you really wanted to buy the phone than rather waiting for AT&T to release the carrier subsidized version, you could have actually bought it off-contract directly. Just saying there are options out there....and everyone knows the carrier situation here in US. Its rather better to dodge them than being hit head first on a brick wall that's going to stay up for a long long time.

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
You do realize the phone retails for US $250-300 for the unlocked version throughout the world? The ones sold online are more or less priced similar to the actual price of an unlocked device. A Moto X, LG G3 or the Note 3 do not cost anywhere around 350-400 for the unlocked variant, probably around 600-650. If you were looking for the carrier subsidized price then it does come with its own disadvantages along with the low price that you were probably waiting for (assumption?) but the prices quoted by online retailers are correct. Tomorrow if Microsoft starts selling the unlocked 640 XL variant then expect its prices to be no less than 250 for the LTE variant. The ASUS Zenphone 2 is being priced 200 for the unlocked factory variant that actually is cheaper with our without being a carrier or a country variant. My point was if you really wanted to buy the phone than rather waiting for AT&T to release the carrier subsidized version, you could have actually bought it off-contract directly. Just saying there are options out there....and everyone knows the carrier situation here in US. Its rather better to dodge them than being hit head first on a brick wall that's going to stay up for a long long time.

The unlocked LTE version is going for $300 and over on ebay and Amazon. I just checked both to make sure. The AT&T and unlocked ones should be well under $250 when released in the U.S. The 640 on cricket is $129 and on T-Mobile under $100. They aren't going to price the XL at $100 or more over the price of the 640. I'm guess it will come in around the $175-$199 price point.

Ebay is full of new LG G3's. Note 3's and Moto X's in the $300-400 range. These phones are last years flagships and do not sell for anywhere close to $600 anymore.

Perfect Samsung Galaxy Note 3 III SM N900A 32GB Android 4 3 Smartphone DS | eBay

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 III SM N900A 4G Factory Unlocked Black or White A | eBay

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...main_0%26hash%3Ditem235189c373&token=P1IpATB7

New Motorola Moto x 2014 Verizon Factory Unlocked LTE GSM 2nd Gen XT1096 16GB | eBay

LG G3 D855 Black 32GB Factory Unlocked 5 5' IPS 2 5GHz Quad Core MicroSD Slot | eBay

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The unlocked LTE version is going for $300 and over on ebay and Amazon. I just checked both to make sure
For ~260

Microsoft Lumia 640 XL RM 1096 Black Factory Unlocked 5 7" 8GB Dual Sim | eBay

The 640 on cricket is $129 and on T-Mobile under $100. They aren't going to price the XL at $100 or more over the price of the 640. I'm guess it will come in around the $175-$199 price point.

Again, that's the carrier subsidized price. That's not the same as a factory unlocked phone. That means you cannot buy a 640 XL from AT&T and use it on T-Mobile without unlocking it. Plus go through the burden and frustration to wait on AT&T for updates. I am pretty sure when MS starts selling the unlocked LTE variant on its web store its going to be 230-260

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Just a general question. Why does the U.S.A. get the phones after other parts of the world? Aren't we still one of the largest markets for phones? Are they being shipped from China in sailboats?

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Good grief--you would think between India and the USA there are enough sales to make it worth bringing out phones a bit more quickly!

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
so...I will ask this again...considering how long it is taking to get the 640's to the customers anyone want to wager a guess on the timeline for an actual Flagship phone??? Mid 2016 anyone?

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
so...I will ask this again...considering how long it is taking to get the 640's to the customers anyone want to wager a guess on the timeline for an actual Flagship phone??? Mid 2016 anyone?

If by guessing when the flagship phones will be available to purchase in the US? Would wager by the end of 2015 or mid 1st quarter of 2016. That's just guess.

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Just a general question. Why does the U.S.A. get the phones after other parts of the world? Aren't we still one of the largest markets for phones? Are they being shipped from China in sailboats?

You are correct; however, Europe has a much bigger market share with Windows Phone. I think its around 10%, versus a 2.7%-3% here in the US. With that said, who would you sell the phone to, the biggest or smallest market share? Or if you know US will do better selling a flagship verses low to mid range,

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
With that said, who would you sell the phone to, the biggest or smallest market share?

I would sell it anywhere a profit can be made. Personally, I think it is the stupid reliance on carriers that is holding WP back. Microsoft should just start selling them unlocked anywhere and everywhere. That would change things up a lot. There's a simple rule in retail--the customer is always right. If customers want phones in a country why not sell them phones? People will move on if they can't get the product they want when they want it.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

NO, probably drop around Thanksgiving / early December ... talking about the rumored phones already discussed (Cityman / Talkman ?)

Maybe, a surprise early November release. All the facilities of Windows 10 Mobile not available at that point.

Mid 2016 would put them a year out, may as well pronounce (de morte) Windows 10 mobile!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3