Got my new Lumia 640 XL

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
So far i am having mixed reviews about the on screen navigation keys and no camera button but after using it for 2 weeks, its a decent phone. Some Qualms coming from 1520:

1. Since the camera button is missing, there is no quick way to launch the camera in 1 maybe 2 steps. I miss the camera button most.
I would suggest adding camera to the navigation bar, since the navigation bar is presented on unlock unlock screen.
WOW THIS IS NOW FIXED. There is a button on the lock screen.

1.1 Selfie are hard to take on a big phone with no camera button. I miss the camera button the most.

2. The navigation keys on the screen are just ok, my main issue with them is they take up precious screen space (i would pay extra money to have capacitive button on this exact phone).

3. NFC is really weak, and doesnt work with some devices.

4. Fast movements are almost always blurry on the camera with living pictures. - deleted living images issue.

6. The vibrator is mushy.

7. Touch is not as accurate, especially when browsing the web, its probably the most annoying feature when you cant click on links. Also, not having 1080P is really a downside to browsing the web in general. The app situation makes you go to the web more.

8. The screen is tad too reflective. It hurts your eyes to stare at it too long.
- fixed with a screen protector

Definitely, the best feature of this phone is the screen and the battery life. All the comparisions are with 1520, so take it for what its worth. One hand usability is good, phone is well balanced and light. The looks of the glossy white, to my surprise, are really good.

Overall, i think its a phone that is worth it, i use it without a case cuz the screen is cheap to replace :winktongue:. This was my main motivation to get this phone and prove to myself, It has been 10 years since expensive Armv7 phones and tablets came around, can I finally live with a cheap smartphone as a daily driver, that I don't have to protect:
I think we are still about an year or two away (next gen processor was the biggest deficiency in this design (28nm is so old)).

Edit: added #7 and #8.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I am with you there on the onscreen buttons. It is quite annoying using them for me. I managed to sort of tolerate them but honestly looking back on it, I hate them still. The 640 is an awesome phone though and one I would recommend for anyone to check out if they want the best lumia you can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Swipe up from bottom of screen its that simple.

It is not about it being simple and hard. Having to swipe period just annoys me. It is there sometimes in the way unless you remember to swipe it to get rid of it.

Then if I need the navigation bar to come back I have to then again swipe for it to reappear. Onscreen navigating is just annoying and i hope the new flagships do not have them.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It is not about it being simple and hard. Having to swipe period just annoys me. It is there sometimes in the way unless you remember to swipe it to get rid of it.

Then if I need the navigation bar to come back I have to then again swipe for it to reappear. Onscreen navigating is just annoying and i hope the new flagships do not have them.

I don't think they will. How else will the new notification led function work. Guess it could be dedicated elsewhere.

Saying that, when the screen has dedicated space I like screen buttons.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The gesture of swiping up from the screen to invoke/hide does taking some getting used to. However, you can choose to leave the navigation on/off and disable the ability for apps to auto-hide it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo