Anyone else undecided on 640 v 640 XL?

Manchester1894

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I think most buying the either phone outright see ?200 as psychological barrier on spend(all in)
For ?200 you can probably can get the 640 and a wireless charger/case.
For the XL I'd probably not have much change after purchasing the phone.
Whilst it'd be great to have the better phone, the size might be too big on the XL possibly...

Does it depend where you come from too? I've got a HTC 3" Android. Could almost doubling the size be too much?

I think I'm siding towards the 640 at the moment. Being impatient I'd rather have it in my hand sooner too. :winktongue:

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I think most buying the either phone outright see ?200 as psychological barrier on spend(all in)

Whilst it'd be great to have the better phone, the size might be too big on the XL possibly...

Does it depend where you come from too? I've got a HTC 3" Android. Could almost doubling the size be too much?

I think I'm siding towards the 640 at the moment. Being impatient I'd rather have it in my hand sooner too. :winktongue:

I have a 620 which has a 3.8" screen. The 5" screen of 640 would be too big of a jump for me but I might take it unless Microsoft comes with a smaller version of it or another phone model with a screen size equal to 4.5" or less than that but almost the same specs.

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

the 640 is better

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
The 5" screen of 640 would be too big of a jump for me

A few weeks ago I would have given you a tough time about that. But, after using an 830 for a while now, I agree, I think the 5" screen is too big. If the OS added more stuff to the bigger screen then I can see the sense, but my 520 is very readable at 4.0" and I find the 5" too spaced out for my liking. Like an old-fart's big-numbers phone. :D

I know I could change the fonts for more stuff, (oops no I can't it's at the smallest now) but it doesn't work that way all the way through. A LOT of apps use the standard screen size to set fonts and not the user-defined ones in Settings.

It's not a big deal and I would not go back to the 520, but just sayin'. :)

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
A few weeks ago I would have given you a tough time about that. But, after using an 830 for a while now, I agree, I think the 5" screen is too big. If the OS added more stuff to the bigger screen then I can see the sense, but my 520 is very readable at 4.0" and I find the 5" too spaced out for my liking. Like an old-fart's big-numbers phone. :D

I know I could change the fonts for more stuff, (oops no I can't it's at the smallest now) but it doesn't work that way all the way through. A LOT of apps use the standard screen size to set fonts and not the user-defined ones in Settings.

It's not a big deal and I would not go back to the 520, but just sayin'. :)

I always liked compact phones. One which sit well in the hands and the pocket. Also that my pocket doesn't feel bulky or uncomfortable when I'm exercising, cycling or running.

Fiasco

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the fence too. I will have to see how they both feel in hand before I decide which one to buy. Definitely getting the white, whichever one I end up buying.

Manchester1894

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I've done minimal research on this for PAYG people in the UK. The 640 sim free price is available for pre-order at Amazon at ?186 v ?169 on Microsoft's website... At the moment we know EE are releasing the phone on the 15th but prices not confirmed. I'm expecting the network locked phones to drop to at least ?135ish. Take the 635 for example. It's ?109 sim free on MS website, but ?69.99 on O2 from CPW website. Expansys have had bad press on here but they are on the MS website as an official partner... they have the 640 at ?149.99 sim-free.(XL at ?185).

If I'd hazard a guess, I'd say EE will get in first at around ?145-150, then the main networks will follow at ?130-140 a week or two later. I reckon similar for the XL(might not be EE), released for around ?195 on 1 network(28/4) then a week or so later for ?180-190 on others.

CPW have launched the 640 pre-order page for contract phones. EE, o2 and Vodafone all onboard. However nothing on o2, voda, or EE websites...

Last edited:

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Remember though, the 640 is very similar to the 830 with one major difference, the camera. That's all that's keeping me from going back to the 520. :)

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I have small hands, but I want better specs than the 640 which the 640 XL has. Any tips?

"better specs" is a bit open, can you be a bit more specific? :)

Lets break it Down
Not Counting differences in Radio Frequencies per Region, Carrier Tweaks, etc..

Using this..Search results for Lumia 640, Lumia 640 XL - Microsoft - USA

Camera: 640XL - Better Camera Hardware (13mp, Zeiss Camera Lens) > 640 (8mp, no Zeiss)

XL- Bigger Size and Bigger Display 5.7 , but Display ppi(detail) 259 is not that great, but not to bad. Some Extra Display Features on XL low power mode, wide viewing, Display Orientation Sensor.??

640 - display almost the same has 830 - 300ppi that is great detail for 5 inch display.

NFC is present on both, but XL may has secure for payments??

CPU, RAM, HD are the same on Both.

SIZE and Camera is all that is difference. -

SIZE- Small hands may have difficulty in one-handing XL, but then again it much smaller than the 1320/1520. Try it out in person is all I can say.
Camera - XL over 640 but no OIS so think about that if you need that 830/930/etc.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Was planning on 640. But I think I'm going for the XL instead. I'm used to the size of 1520. 640 XL will be a god enough backup WP for me.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm settled on the L640 for my wants.
Just waiting for it to drop on T-Mobile.

I'm really hoping with the 640 I can retire my 925 and use my 535 as a back-up (if it ever gets repaired)

Sitting here on the edge of my seat!

Chacko Mathai

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I think I am leaning toward the 640( Tmo compatibility, better pixel density cheaper), but I want to try out both phones

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Wish I could touch and hold an XL.
I can buy a 5-5.25 inch phone site unseen and know I could handle the size.

Just not sure about the XL without actually test driving one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb