Dropped my 640...have you dropped yours?

mivv246

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I dropped my 640 on asphalt, from the poket. Wile was down I was thinking what phone should I buy next. I was lucky, I think, this time because it didn't had nothing than some dents on the battery case. Do you ever dropped your phone untill now?

I am asking this because I am not a big fan of cases, and I was wondering how rezistant is the screen of 640. Does enyone know if the digitizer is broken could be replaced withought changing the lcd like on 535?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Guess you where lucky but it is glass so you kind of never know.

But in newer phones the touchpanel (glass) is glued on the LCD screen and it is (nearly) impossible to get it separated without damaging the LCD. And even if you can do it it's a hell of a job to glue the new TP on the LCD without all kind of artifacts.
So unless you have a fully equipped repair station you have to buy the TP-LCD assembly.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I've dropped my 640 a few times now and its fine. The rear shell has some scruffs and scratches but the screen is fine.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my 640 yesterday in the toilet. Crashed on a marble floor,no damage.just came apart. Case and all fine.It seems very sturdy

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't get it. I've had post-car phones PCS types since 2000. I've never dropped one, I've never damaged one.

Since I'm pretty much a klutz, maybe y'all just need to start being more careful?

I've never had to rely on a screen protector or case, but I usually have them on. The cases usually make the phone a hell of a lot easier to hang onto. Part of being careful.

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
i dropped my 1520 hard several times, about 6 times before I cracked my screen (a single crack line on the bottom). I use cases, but sometimes I take them off..but when I do, it falls. O_O

anon(5518418)

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Dropped it once only on a wooden floor though, did nothing to it. My wife owns a 635 which the 640 replaces, she has dropped that thing down stairs several times, the back cover comes off but that's it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I always recommend cases and screen protectors. I never take insurance, and I'm not typically clumsy. Yet I still get screen protectors and cases (usually heavy duty cases, such as Otterbox). I've never broken a phone so far, knock on wood.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I visit my daughter at college and every single student is carrying a phone. I would guess half the phones I see there have cracked screens. Where I live every single shopping mall now has one or more kiosks in the middle of the traffic flow advertising screen repair. Those spots aren't cheap--they must be making a living at it. I think improvements in durability, waterproofness, and battery life are areas where more phone companies could make big strides and gain sales, but I wonder if they secretly prefer to build in vulnerability because of the replacement sales--nobody who breaks a phone will go for long without one.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I visit my daughter at college and every single student is carrying a phone. I would guess half the phones I see there have cracked screens. Where I live every single shopping mall now has one or more kiosks in the middle of the traffic flow advertising screen repair. Those spots aren't cheap--they must be making a living at it. I think improvements in durability, waterproofness, and battery life are areas where more phone companies could make big strides and gain sales, but I wonder if they secretly prefer to build in vulnerability because of the replacement sales--nobody who breaks a phone will go for long without one.

I kind of understand what you mean but a few remarks.
Phones are not made of steel and as long as they have glass they will break.
Due to the rat race of more ppi / better viewing angle / thinner designs etc etc the touch screen is glued to LCD/OLED panel. (In older models the touch panel is only glued at the borders an the total surface). So if you have to repair it now you need a touch panel + screen combo and these are much more expensive then a touch panel only.
The problem you have if you repair your screen/touchpanel is actual to get a good quality part and not a "bad" copy so I am not sure it Microsoft is earning that much on parts.
If you make a phone waterproof also means that it will be more difficult to disassembly (=repair) more difficult.

For battery live I agree.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The problem you have if you repair your screen/touchpanel is actual to get a good quality part and not a "bad" copy so I am not sure it Microsoft is earning that much on parts.
I agree, but apparently the phone repair kiosks are getting enough business to earn a living. I suspect phone manufacturers prefer people to have to buy a new phone more often. Easily breakable phones are in their own self interests.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree, but apparently the phone repair kiosks are getting enough business to earn a living. I suspect phone manufacturers prefer people to have to buy a new phone more often. Easily breakable phones are in their own self interests.

Oh, please! And Detroit bought off the patent holder that could let a car get 200mpg. That was big when I was a kid. Do you suspect that window glass companies are making their products to be fragile?

What amazes me is that no phone maker or case aftermarket maker hasn't made some simple, perhaps just hinged, clear polycarbonate cover. My first PCS phone, a Nokia something or other, had a flip to cover the keys, thus making sure there were no pocket dials.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh, please! And Detroit bought off the patent holder that could let a car get 200mpg.

No conspiracy theory necessary--companies are just maximizing profit by giving the market what it wants. There is no incentive to make more rugged phones because they have figured out that people are willing to pay for new phones that are thinner, lighter, and don't have replaceable batteries, and people are willing to purchase new phones when they break one. The average phone is designed to last for the life of the average 2-year contract if the phone is not dropped. There are a few ruggedized smartphones and a few water resistant ones, so it shows that it is possible, but to maximize profit most companies don't make or sell them.

solarscreen

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I got one of the thin $10 covers for my Cricket 640 they sell in the Cricket store. I had too many things in my hands leaving work few days later and it went flying out onto the asphalt parking lot, bouncing towards my car. I cringed, picked it up, and breathed easy as there were no damages found. A cheap case got the job done!

Pearcey125

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Dropped mine a couple of times onto concrete, also banged the edges a couple of times. Not a mark anywhere on the phone. Very happy with the build quality!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't have the 640 (yet), but I did drop my 925 twice shortly after buying it. The first time was on the linoleum kitchen floor, face-down when I was on a call via speaker with a friend. It was fine. The second time, I was in a pet store and putting my phone back in my bag. Somehow, I missed and it landed face-down on the floor there as well. Again, there was not a scratch on it. I was so relieved and amazed at the same time! In the first drop, the phone only had its red wireless charging shell on, and in the second, I had a thin feather case on it that doesn't give any sort of protection to the screen.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Most Nokia /Microsoft devices are tough from drop test except you drop it and the floor hit the corner of the devices. It would shatter most phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism