Gave up trying to "migrate" to a larger SD card... restored from backup instead

FancyFreddy

May 19, 2015
Visit site
So I started out using my 640 LTE dual sim with a 32GB microSD.

I had on order a 64GB Sandisk and it was something I use in my droids already. They end up going to my kids, so, I don't get the sticks back.

Anyhow, I tried to follow the procedure for migrating data but it was a disaster... things were locking up and I had to reboot.

So, I restored from backup after a complete wipe. But, its all there now. I am keeping some of my apps on the phone memory instead of the microSD card since they do run a bit faster like that. (Weather and Skype for example)

FancyFreddy

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I tried moving all my apps back to my phone and just copying the music/videos to the new card and then swapping it.

But, some apps don't like sitting on an SD card, I've found. Weather and Skype are the two that had issues. So unless I started from scratch with the larger SD card, moving was a pain.

Its all good now... backups are important!!! I have Office 365 Premium so 5 people in my house have 1TB OneDrive accounts.

yogi01

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Is it not possible to put sd-card in a cardreader, copy all data to pc, copy data back to the new sd-card?
To answer my own question:
Yesterday I removed the sd-card from the phone to "back it up".
When I re-inserted it into the phone, the card got scanned because of "problems". It endet with a message telling me to use a different card because this one was defective. So I copied all files (from pc) to a new card. The new card was a "1 to 1 copy" of the old one. The phone accepted the card, but it did not find the apps. So it seems that the OS recognizes sd-cards individually. I reinstalled the apps, then tried to put the old appdata from pc into the new folders, but the data were not recognized by the apps (except one file, which is strange).
I am very disappointed by this behaviour.
(Old card seems really dead. I cannot delete files on it, I even cannot format it, even in a camera or a different smartphone.)

FancyFreddy

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Came to find out my 64GB micro SD card was faulty and is going back to the retailer.

Sucks... I need to go through this all over again now. UGH!!!

Or better yet, just suffer through using the 32GB one until the price on 128GB comes down just a bit more. (under $60 USD is my target)

boss126

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
When you connect old sd card to pc make sure you have hidden items selected under the view tab, if you don't you will not be seeing/copying the entire card.

FancyFreddy

May 19, 2015
Visit site
It was not the copy process that was faulty, but the SD card.

Copying the files via drag/drop between SD cards works fine, but, you still need to reinstall (or move at least) the apps from the phone.

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Copying the files via drag/drop between SD cards works fine, but, you still need to reinstall (or move at least) the apps from the phone.
I was talking about the apps only. I read somewhere that after making a clone of the old SD card and then expand the clone to for the new size then you need not reinstall the apps. But I didn't get the time to try it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism