Sending SMS via phone using PC/Laptop

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
One of the things I used to like about the Nokia Phones I had, was that you could use the Nokia PC Suite software to send and receive SMS text messages via your own phone and service provider. This was handy while working at my PC. Earlier versions even did MMS if I recall.

Is there any software out there that will do the same with my Lumia 640? Even with my Android phone I can do this using an app called SMS Control Center.

I don't mean any of the number of cloud based solutions that merely use a third party website or cloud app to send and receive text messages, but one that is basically an extension of your own phone directly ie uses your own mobile provider to send/receive messages.

cabsco

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Search "Windows Desktop app for Lumia" on Bing or Google. Among the results you'll see this heading "Windows Phone app for desktop | Windows Phone" enter the page and download the software. Would've post the link but am still restricted. Hope it works for you.

Jeff Erson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
As much as I remember, Windows phone for desktop doesn't do what you want. You could only sync your media files from/to pc/phone. I want to send/receive text from/ to my PC but I think there's no way yet. Maybe on Windows 10.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Search "Windows Desktop app for Lumia" on Bing or Google. Among the results you'll see this heading "Windows Phone app for desktop | Windows Phone" enter the page and download the software. Would've post the link but am still restricted. Hope it works for you.
I thought this was just for syncing? I don't see where it says you can send SMS etc.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
As much as I remember, Windows phone for desktop doesn't do what you want. You could only sync your media files from/to pc/phone. I want to send/receive text from/ to my PC but I think there's no way yet. Maybe on Windows 10.
That's what I thought too. After searching around, it looks like there is unlikely to be any kind of third party app as I have read that the SMS API is restricted to Mobile Providers.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion although I already do use Skype. While Skype is handy to send the odd text message, it does not use your phone directly. It also costs to send SMS and you cannot receive them directly to the PC, only back to your phone. This makes it too awkward and costly for even a short conversation. If they're a smartphone user it's better just to have them as a direct contact.

Just to preempt anyone who says why not use a chat program, remember there are still users who don't use a smartphone. Having said that I suspect this is probably the reason that this type of capability is not being developed anymore as they assume everyone has, or will soon, have a smartphone with an appropriate chat program.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It seems Windows 7 has a SMS editor in Bluetooth Device Control, only it appears to be quite primitive. It takes a ridiculously long time to sync the inbox and you can only send messages by entering numbers in full on the PC ie it doesn't seem to load the contacts. What makes it worthless though is that when a message comes in it doesn't automatically sync it from the phone. If you disconnect then it still syncs all those messages again even though they're already sitting there in the SMS Editor inbox.

I was going to say that I guess it's only meant to send the odd message from the PC, but then why does it sync the entire inbox first which seems pointless. Also if only meant for a quick message, it would be just as easy to use the phone in that case. Perhaps it has more functionality and is just not fully compatible with the Lumia 640?

Anyone know anymore about this App?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism