T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling is weird

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
My 640 which I got from T-Mobile, rarely every uses Wi-Fi for calls and when it does I can't text off of it. I remember on previous lumias it said wifi calling and all the signal bars were filled. This guy shows the wifi bars and a tiny phone next to it, very rarely though. Is everybody else's like this?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah for some reason, you can't text (or at least with pictures anyway) with wifi. I think that is more of a general T-mobile bug with wifi calling. Does this just happen with picture messages or also with general messages too?

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
General messages as well. It's odd because I also have T-Mobile cellspot router being that I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm connected to it now but Wi-Fi calling doesn't work or messages.

Yeah for some reason, you can't text (or at least with pictures anyway) with wifi. I think that is more of a general T-mobile bug with wifi calling. Does this just happen with picture messages or also with general messages too?

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
By default it's set to always use wifi when available. That can be changed in the sim settings. I have mine set to cellular preferred so it only uses wifi when there isn't a cell signal available. That said, I haven't had any issues with it working while on wifi. Calling and texting have both worked fine.

DumDee2

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
My 640 which I got from T-Mobile, rarely every uses Wi-Fi for calls and when it does I can't text off of it. I remember on previous lumias it said wifi calling and all the signal bars were filled. This guy shows the wifi bars and a tiny phone next to it, very rarely though. Is everybody else's like this?

Did you input the apn settings or just keep it on auto?

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

That's not a bug at all... Sms uses the phone for text. You don't text off wifi unless you download an app for it. I don't know if the store has an app or not... Android does, but I'm new to win phones

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Well my 925 worked great with wifi calling and text in the past. Picture messages didn't work though but at least regular text did. This guy does none of that. I tested earlier today when it showed the wifi calling symbol and it went to voice mail on a test call.

That's not a bug at all... Sms uses the phone for text. You don't text off wifi unless you download an app for it. I don't know if the store has an app or not... Android does, but I'm new to win phones

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

roberttusing

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I use my 635 in WiFi calling mode all the time for texting SMS and media messages MMS (pictures/videos). Initially it didn't work on my 521 unless I was on Cell, but after the 8.1 update it began working on all my Window Phone devices. I haven't received the 640 yet but it will be one of the first things I try.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Oh that's another phone I had with no issues!

I use my 635 in WiFi calling mode all the time for texting SMS and media messages MMS (pictures/videos). Initially it didn't work on my 521 unless I was on Cell, but after the 8.1 update it began working on all my Window Phone devices. I haven't received the 640 yet but it will be one of the first things I try.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you guys still having issues with the 640 and Wifi calling?
Picture messaging is quite important to me as I like to send them out to my friends when I travel and what not or just the random selfie or foodie :D

I have an iPhone 6 on tmobile with no issues with picture messaging and I am considering the 640 but this thread has me worried a bit lol

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Are you guys still having issues with the 640 and Wifi calling?
Picture messaging is quite important to me as I like to send them out to my friends when I travel and what not or just the random selfie or foodie :D

I have an iPhone 6 on tmobile with no issues with picture messaging and I am considering the 640 but this thread has me worried a bit lol
I don't use Wifi calling so I don't know if my response will be helpful or not. I have had no issues sending and receiving picture messages with the 640.

roberttusing

May 29, 2014
Visit site
It seems to be hit or miss on my new 640. When on WiFi only I got the notification of a media message but it wouldn't download. This was the same symptoms I had with the 521 before the 8.1 update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3