Gaming and SD card questions

monobab

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a Lumia 1020 and would really like a bigger display on my phone, my wife has been coveting the camera on my 1020 for a while now so I'm thinking of picking up a 640 and giving her the 1020. I have a few questions about the 640 I hope that you can provide some insight into:

1. Can you install games from the store to an SD card? If so, is the performance effected?

2. How is gaming on the phone in general? How do you think it would compare to my 1020? Can it comfortably run games like The Sims Free Play?

3. Any other thoughts on the phone you think would be helpful?

Thank you for any help you can give me!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It all depends on the types of games you play. If they are CPU and GPU heavy, you may want to consider a phone with a better SoC, like 8xx instead of 4xx. The 640 SoC is decent, but still an entry level processor.

Games installed on an SD card can affect load times and performance somewhat, depending on the game. You can minimize that greatly by getting a high quality, fast card. I recommend a minimum of Class 10/UHS I for this.

I've got the same SoC on my 635, so the performance is pretty much going to be the same, except that the 640 has 1GB RAM instead of 512, so you'll get better performance and more options on the games.

Whether it can comfortably run Sims Free Play, perhaps someone else can answer, as I've never played it.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering this myself, especially for Modern Combat 5. Idk why, but after the recent update, Modern Combat 5 can't run on my Lumia Icon smoothly. It'll run fine for a sec, but framerate drops are everywhere and lag is terrible (even worse on multiplayer). Modern Combat 5 performance is honestly the determining factor in whether I buy this as a backup phone, as I already have a 630 (that can't play the game) as a backup. If Modern Combat 5 performs well I am picking this up, even though I already have an Icon.

monobab

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info folks! I'm going to do some more research but for the cost of the phone and SD card I guess I can afford to take the chance and not be burned too bad if it doesn't work out. I'd still love to hear more people's opinion if they have one!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Can't quite fully answer your question but I can tell you this for sure, if your planning to buy a SD card make sure its a class 10 cause I think lower standards are not supported. I just bought mine 16 GB class 10 Intenso SD card which I paid 12? and it works perfectly, which I can't say for other SDs, cause my previous Kingston one with 550+ music couldn't be recognized. So, be careful there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans