What is the difference between the 640 for AT&T, T-Mobile, & Unlocked?? Are they made differently?

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
What is the difference between the 640 for AT&T, T-Mobile, & Unlocked?? Are they made differently?

I'm switching from Verizon to T-Mobile. They offer the Lumia 640 for $129. Is there a hardware difference between the 640 offered from T-Mobile & AT&T?? I was told that the AT&T one wouldn't have the ability for WiFi calling. What about an unlocked 640 or a 640XL on T-Mobile, could I still use the WiFi calling feature??

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: What is the difference between the 640 for AT&T, T-Mobile, & Unlocked?? Are they made differentl

I'm switching from Verizon to T-Mobile. They offer the Lumia 640 for $129. Is there a hardware difference between the 640 offered from T-Mobile & AT&T?? I was told that the AT&T one wouldn't have the ability for WiFi calling. What about an unlocked 640 or a 640XL on T-Mobile, could I still use the WiFi calling feature??
Since you are switching to T-mobile, you can save yourself some money and buy it from Walmart for basically $100. T-Mobile Microsoft Lumia 640 Prepaid Smartphone - Walmart.com

Anyway, there's not much of a hardware difference, but WiFi calling is built into the system itself for the T-mobile variant. The AT&T variant, and also the unlocked versions do not have that. Otherwise, they are the same phone.

Last edited:

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: What is the difference between the 640 for AT&T, T-Mobile, & Unlocked?? Are they made differentl

Thank you libra89. Basically if I use a phone that is not a T-Mobile variant then I would just lose out on the WiFi calling feature. yes? So I could get a 640XL and just not have the WiFi calling feature?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

You're welcome and yep, you wouldn't have it.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

FWIW I'm pretty sure WiFi calling is entirely software which may include the firmware. I don't think there is any hardware difference that permits it. Regardless, T-Mobile doesn't currently let it happen on phones they don't make money on the sale.

lift

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Only the T-Mobile Lumia 640 has wifi calling. Also, I bought an AT&T Lumia 640 and got it unlocked to use it on T-Mobile also. The AT&T Lumia 640 does NOT have band 12 LTE like the unlocked version or the T-Mobile version. AT&T sucks for doing that. They locked it out of the firmware so if you SIM unlock the phone and put a T-Mobile SIM in it, it will work fine but will not get the new Band 12 LTE that T-Mobile is starting to use a lot now nationwide.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

oh and t-mobile and unlocked version has mobile hotspot feature built in. good luck getting AT&T to allow mobile hotspot.

Devon Day

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

oh and t-mobile and unlocked version has mobile hotspot feature built in. good luck getting AT&T to allow mobile hotspot.

I've gotten the hotspot on my 635 to work, and I'm on AT&T. Haven't tried on my 640 yet though. But, I'd imagine that it'd work just the same.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Follow instructions in this thread and enjoy Internet Sharing on an AT&T unlocked Lumia 640. I did that on my Lumia 830 and now on my AT&T Lumia 640. Cheers!
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-830/351620-internet-sharing-lumia-830-a.html

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

Thank you all!!! I went ahead and switched to T-Mobile and bought my own 640XL!! Put WIN10 on it and LOVING IT!!

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

Thank you all!!! I went ahead and switched to T-Mobile and bought my own 640XL!! Put WIN10 on it and LOVING IT!!

Welcome to T-Mobile, we need all the Windows folks we can get. Join us on /r/tmobile.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

What is that and how do you get there?

They're talking about Reddit.

Subreddits, basically subforums, are signified by the /r/

(there's one for just about anything, r/windowsphone, r/justrolledintotheshop, r/worldnews, r/technology, r/legobionicle...)

so the url would be reddit.com/r/tmobile

Dallas Johnson2

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

Where do i go to install win 10 for the windows phone?

Dallas Johnson2

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

I installed it :( Is there a way to uninstall win 10 from the phone?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I installed it :( Is there a way to uninstall win 10 from the phone?

First, if you erase the phone using Settings > (something) > about and use "reset my phone" it will most likely improve operation over a simple upgrade.

If that doesn't help, use the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to restore your device to the way it was before. It will erase everything, so in both situations, back up what you need.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

Glad to hear it! Now, stop by /r/tmobile and let everyone know what a great phone it is. We need Windows phone support at Tmo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad