Low light camera issues ??

jhildy73

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I know this phone has a nice camera but has anyone had issues with taking shots say at night outside?? Me and the wife were at the park and behind us the city skyline...we wanted some shots and every picture came out extremely blurry...do yall have certain settings for which there is limited light outside???

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
From what I've seen is that the subject matter at night will need some light on it for the focus to take hold.
With the fixed f2.2 at 28mm the camera has a wide view so if the target isn't lit well it may work best to get close for handheld shots.
I find things like park benches, walls with a straight edge, the "Y" of a tree or any stable surface works to help steady the camera in low light.
Also play with the exposure value slider in Lumia camera this can overexpose for a desired effect.

Things like city skylines over water always look striking at night because of the amount of light.
If you look at most night shots that are handheld the best ones are sufficiently lit.

A pocket tripod is still most handy for the artful photog using a phone camera in my opinion...
Good luck there!

hamka787

May 4, 2014
Visit site
If you want quick snap handheld at night try to use the built in Microsoft Camera and select Night Scene mode. I think it gives better result than LC5 left in auto. LC5 tends to choose higher ISO number if left in auto for night shot. **But LC5 should give better results if you care to set those dials manually.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Where's this night scene mode for the 640? The provided default camera app is called Lumia Camera. Running 8.1.
You have to go to settings and change the default camera to Microsoft Camera in order to see it. It can only be accessed through the action center

voidcomp

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Ah that was the info I needed...thank u

Not exactly the most intuitive way of discovering the phone has a 2nd camera app lol. Wonder if there's other default options for other applications, and how many just use the Lumia Cam app not knowing any better.

hamka787

May 4, 2014
Visit site
just recently I downloaded LC4 and compared it against LC5 with my Lumia640 in lowlight conditions. It surprised me that LC4 actually performs better than LC5 in ISOs ranging from 200 to 800.

If LC5 is going to be retained as Windows Camera & LC4 is going to be discontinued then I will be very sad. I am not really impressed with LC5. The only thing I like about it is its quick start which is extremely useful.

If you guys havent download LC4, well give it a try and make comparisons. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

hamka787

May 4, 2014
Visit site
shot of a box with printed paper under my desk, both auto & both are at ISO1600

Lumia Camera 5 (ISO1600)
WP_20150909_07_38_03_Pro.jpg

Lumia Camera 4 (ISO1600)
WP_20150909_07_38_43_Pro.jpg

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
i can't find microsoft camera on the phone at all. it is not listed in apps and don't see where you could even find it.
Microsoft Camera is built into the phone so it doesn't have an app. You can only access it from the action center/notifications at the top. It's that button called camera

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion