AAC / iTunes sync

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Having another problem, and finally think I tracked it down to what the issue is, just not how to work around it.

Basically I've got all my media in iTunes on a Mac. The WP7 Connector works fine on the Mac and syncs everythig across, but when trying to play files I get an awfully lot of them that simply drop a popup that says "Can't play, try connecting to your zune account or sync again."

It appears this is only happening with AAC files. Some of these were purchases on iTunes, others (the vast majority) were ripped from my CD collection into iTunes. I've also removed all the DRM from just about everything I have purchased thru iTunes over the years, so it should not be a DRM issue.

But the files won't play. And I've verified that ones that will not play on my Focus play just fine on my Torch.

So I'm in a quandry. I love the media player on the Focus, but it's not useful to me if it can only play half or less of my music library (the MP3 files). I'm really not interested in creating MP3 versions of all these files.

Any suggestions / thoughts?

subarunut

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Convert them to MP3 or WMA. AAC is Apples priopritory format. And I am not sure that the zune player even supports AAC codec's. I have my entire collection in MP3 hightest bitrate or WMA lossless.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Convert them to MP3 or WMA. AAC is Apples priopritory format. And I am not sure that the zune player even supports AAC codec's. I have my entire collection in MP3 hightest bitrate or WMA lossless.

Well, thanks for the reply, but AAC is not proprietary - see Advanced Audio Coding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And it works fine on my Blackberry Torch, synching from iTunes using a "middleware" piece provided by RIM - similar to what Microsoft provides.

Further, based on updates on the live support forums, it appears to be a glitch in the WinPhone connector software specifically on MacOS; syncing the same data using the Zune software on a VM on the same machine, the sync works and the fies play fine.

So I'll answer my own question - this appears to be an issue with Microsoft's sync connector on OSX and will hopefully be fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb