MacBook Pro running Windows 8 - a few problems

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I installed the Windows 8 Enterprise evaluation on my MacBook Pro and the battery drains quite a bit faster now and the system is always hot. If I do something a little heavy like HD YouTube videos for an extended period of time or some software installations, the system's fan kicks in too. What should I do to fix this? Where should I look? What could the potential problems be?

I have a mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro which has a 2.26 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 9400m GPU.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Caltech13

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Other than the battery issue, does it heat running OSX as well?

When you are running Windows 8, are you closing background apps when you're done with them or just letting them run in the background? My Dell seems to handle W8 quite well on battery normally, but yesterday I was playing xbox music for a while and noticed my battery was dropping pretty fast. Maybe that's part of the problem?

Otherwise, check drivers, maybe you need to update one or two and not use the ones that come bundled with Windows 8. Just guesses sorry, I hope it helps!

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
No, it doesn't heat up when running OS X. I just leave apps like Messaging, People, Internet Explorer running. The only 3rd party app I leave running is YouTube+. It actually seems to heat up even if I don't keep any apps open. Like if I have it turned off and its cool then when I turn it on and leave it on with no apps opened, even then it gets quite warm.

As for drivers I installed the ones that Boot Camp gave me for Windows 7. I used those since Windows 8 isn't yet supported by Apple and they haven't released any new drivers (if there will be any new ones at all). The action centre says there are no issues.

Also how do I make the scrolling smooth like on smartphones? Right now its jerky like it jumps up and down notches as though I'm using a mouse scroll wheel.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Last edited:

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You are lacking the drivers. In any case W8 is best on touch devices.

I am running Win7 Pro on my Mac Book Pro. With drivers it runs fine, but since I also have a Samsung Ativ S Win8 Pro hybrid, I think netbooks and notebooks are a soon to be extinct species, like Palm organizers...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720