My local store says I can swim with the Band 2

KevinTheLinja

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
So, I went to my local Microsoft store today (Dallas, TX) and they told me that the new Band is, not "waterproof", but rated to a depth of something like 35 feet, and you can swim with it.

In fact, they said that Microsoft will be releasing a swimming app for the Band when it comes out.

Has anyone heard anything about this? I know everyone says it's not "waterproof", but the store reps assure me you can swim with it.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That's not what I've heard. But it'd be a nice change from the original Microsoft Band.

If true, I wonder why they wouldn't make note of it at the announcement.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
This could be the same employee.

"Was in the Microsoft store in Frisco TX today to try on the band 2 and they said you can use for swimming which is contradictory to the page. Maybe the page hasn't been updated for band 2? Store employee said he was told directly from Ms when he was taught how to sell it. "

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
On the Band2 page, it refers to this link for water resistance: microsoft.com/band/waterresistance (The same link is referenced in the Band 2 press kit.)

Note that URL is NOT model specific.

Up near the top "Microsoft Band is not waterproof. Light rain and hand washing shouldn’t harm it, but do not immerse it in liquids of any kind. This means it should not be worn while swimming or in the shower."

But down near the bottom: "IPX7: Protection against temporary immersion in water (at depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes)." Which to the layperson sounds like you're good for swimming and stuff. But two issues with that:
- It assumes water. Not water mixed into other stuff like soap.
- It also does not take into account dynamic pressure such as you'd get in swimming.

In fact the page specifically states "Don’t expose your band to water at high velocity or pressure, such as waves or a waterfall.
Don’t expose your band to saltwater, ionized water, or soapy water."

So, either the page isn't updated for Band 2, or someone is overly optimistic about what the original specs mean. Now, given that the band has a microphone and a barometer, I'm not sure just how waterproof, excuse me, water resistant you can make it and still keep it small. Or, we could get lucky and it is water resistant and they're evaluating it now.

But if it was water resistant, why would MS Complete be so much more expensive?

KevinTheLinja

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Indistinguishable: Right, this would seem like something MSFT would be announcing and touting as a great feature.

David Lorentz: Yep, it was the store in Frisco. Multiple employees told me that their training material specifically stated you can swim with the band.

DroidUser: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. A more expensive Conplete might mean a more "robust" water-proofing...?

I'm hoping this is true. I was hesitant on purchasing the Band 2 when the Band 1 is such a good deal now, but being able to swim with it makes it a no-brainer for me.

reapershouse

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about contacting this company out of Cali called water-fi, they water proof different things like the nike fuel bands. I've been using one of theirs for the last 2 years and makes it great, only time it comes off is when i charge it. Even wore it diving and no issues.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
DroidUser: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. A more expensive Conplete might mean a more "robust" water-proofing...?

Actually I was thinking the opposite. Better waterproofing would mean fewer lost to accidental drowning. However, if they're going to claim you can swim with it, maybe they expect to have more water problems.

I checked with my store, the sales guy didn't say you could swim with it, but claimed you could wash dishes with it. I didn't point out that soap works by allowing water into places it normally couldn't go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12