Fondling the Band 2 with Photos + Hot Tip

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know that the MS Store was going to have their announced products in store shortly after the announcements, but when I found out I took a trip out.

The single Band 2 on display was at the front of the store with two L640 XL. I asked why they didn't put the 950 XL there and learned that it was easier for them to keep it secured back there. There was hell to pay if they lost the 950 XL since it was not released yet, so they didn't want to chance it. Can't say that my fingers didn't feel a little sticky when checking out the phone, but I digress. The SP4s were at the front of the store because they were required to place it in front and center. If it were up to them, it'd be one table back from the door.

IMG_7417.JPG

The Band 2 looks great with the new finish and the contour does make it fit much better than the old one. The band itself was very flexible - no stiffness at all, but because the battery location changed, the clasp part of the Band is pretty chunky. Maybe I won't notice it in time, much like the Band 1's batteries on the side.

IMG_7279.JPGIMG_7280.JPGIMG_7281.JPGIMG_7282.JPGIMG_7283.JPG

I'm guessing this is the UV sensor?

IMG_7284.JPG

So here's the Hot Tip! Maybe you already know about this, but I didn't read it anywhere. I talked to the store rep about my Band 1 and the extended warranty I have with it. Because they're doing away with the extended warranty for Bands altogether, you would be able to swap up from your Band 1's extended warranty if you bought it at the Microsoft Store. He wasn't sure if there was a cost involved - especially since it is $50 more, but at least there's an upgrade path for those of you who have the extended warranty. Good luck!

mfm77

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Unlike Band 1 and Given the new curved screen, are most people going to wear this face-up or face-down?

I'm not getting it (sticking with my Band 1 for now), but if I were getting it, I'd still wear it with the face down because of the awkwardness of viewing the time and notifications if it were face-up.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
band 2 looks great! the only thing i'm iffy about is that chunky clasp. especially with wearing the screen inside.

Me too. I wear mine screen inside, and really prefer it that way. It's looking like a pretty big chunk of battery/clasp to have on top of the wrist, though. If it looks too weird screen in, I'm sure I'll adapt to screen out.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm not getting it (sticking with my Band 1 for now), but if I were getting it, I'd still wear it with the face down because of the awkwardness of viewing the time and notifications if it were face-up.
You get used to it. I tried screen in briefly, but it was just too bulky when using the keyboard. Also, in many situations, my arm is more "up" then "down" so it's easier to just glance down rather than rotate your arm 140 degrees first.

And, as I've mentioned before, that silver clasp is fugly - I'd rather not show it to the world. I wish it was black chrome.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
So here's the Hot Tip! Maybe you already know about this, but I didn't read it anywhere. I talked to the store rep about my Band 1 and the extended warranty I have with it. Because they're doing away with the extended warranty for Bands altogether, you would be able to swap up from your Band 1's extended warranty if you bought it at the Microsoft Store. He wasn't sure if there was a cost involved - especially since it is $50 more, but at least there's an upgrade path for those of you who have the extended warranty. Good luck!

You're saying we can trade-in our Band 1 on the warranty exchange and get a Band 2?

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
You get used to it. I tried screen in briefly, but it was just too bulky when using the keyboard. Also, in many situations, my arm is more "up" then "down" so it's easier to just glance down rather than rotate your arm 140 degrees first.

And, as I've mentioned before, that silver clasp is fugly - I'd rather not show it to the world. I wish it was black chrome.

I'm sure SKINOMI can come up with a nice skin in black carbon fibre to cover that fugly silver clasp

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Unlike Band 1 and Given the new curved screen, are most people going to wear this face-up or face-down?

Screen outside my wrist, just like my watch. Never understood having a watch face inside your wrist, it would hit my desk all day. And i certainly dont want to ge banging the bands screen against my desk all day, gorilla glass or not.

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
I also had a chance to take a look at the Band 2 today, and the clasp is what's probably making me hesitate the most; especially if it's meant to be on the outside of my wrist!

The Microsoft rep indicated it'll be more natural to have it like that (and the screen on the inside of my wrist) but I didn't really try it the other way to see what it would look and feel like. I'll admit I almost instinctively rotated my wrist properly to view the display, so maybe there's something to that logic!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
According to the MS Store rep, yes.
I asked about this myself and was told they didn't know and would have to "play it by ear" when I pick up my band. I'll be bringing my woefully sad, nearly falling apart band with me, but I may end up leaving with a Band 2 that I pay full price for and a new Band 1 as my free replacement.

Also, they are selling Complete for the new one. If you look online you will see it as an option. The price has gone up to $39.

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I went and tried on the Band 2 at the MS Store and found it to be very comfortable right off the bat. I tried on the large first since I wear a large Band 1 usually two clicks from the smallest setting. The large Band 2 was two big in the smallest setting so I tried the Medium and it fit very nice and comfy. I think they made the large a bit bigger than the band one to fit more people. I didn't even notice the thicker clasp while wearing it and the flexible sides and large display were very nice upgrades.

One big improvement was I put a little water on my finger from my water bottle and I was able to scroll through the menu unlike with the band one when you had sweaty fingers you can't get it to work at all.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Screen outside my wrist, just like my watch. Never understood having a watch face inside your wrist, it would hit my desk all day. And i certainly dont want to ge banging the bands screen against my desk all day, gorilla glass or not.

I wore mine screen inside wrist and didn't really bang on it much. If you're afraid you may be banging the screen while typing on the keyboard, then you're not doing it ergonomically correct. Other than that, it didn't take much time for me to remember not to bang my left wrist when moving about the desk. Reading and operating the Band is much better when worn inside.

I also had a chance to take a look at the Band 2 today, and the clasp is what's probably making me hesitate the most; especially if it's meant to be on the outside of my wrist!

The Microsoft rep indicated it'll be more natural to have it like that (and the screen on the inside of my wrist) but I didn't really try it the other way to see what it would look and feel like. I'll admit I almost instinctively rotated my wrist properly to view the display, so maybe there's something to that logic!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

The clasp is pretty big alright. I'm still not sure about it. If they had at least made the buckle black, it would have disguised the bulk. I did twist it around and wear it face up. It was alright, but I do like reading and operating it with it on the inside.

I asked about this myself and was told they didn't know and would have to "play it by ear" when I pick up my band. I'll be bringing my woefully sad, nearly falling apart band with me, but I may end up leaving with a Band 2 that I pay full price for and a new Band 1 as my free replacement.

Also, they are selling Complete for the new one. If you look online you will see it as an option. The price has gone up to $39.

This might be one of those times where the reps really don't know then. Much like when I warranty exchanged my SP2 for the SP3, it wasn't really settled on what the procedure was and I'll bet it would vary a bit from store to store. I'll still try. Worst case scenario is that I just continue wearing my Band 1 until the stock runs dry. By then, Band 3 will probably be right around the corner. Sigh...

golfingasu

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Don't understand you improve the look and feel of the screen side, then make the clasp side bulky and ugly. Doesn't make sense to me. Take out some of the unused crap and make it look good!

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Don't understand you improve the look and feel of the screen side, then make the clasp side bulky and ugly. Doesn't make sense to me. Take out some of the unused crap and make it look good!

For me it's the potential of the "unused crap" that makes the Band so intriguing and superior to some of the other so called wearable fitness devices out there at the moment. Microsoft just need to continue to push to integrate more of the sensor information into the useful actionable insights we've been promised.

Last edited:

golfingasu

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I understand what your saying but a device with wonderful potential that nobody owns is worth far less than a device that everyone owns and can be upgraded in the future. If you don't get people to buy it the potential is very limited. The apple app store is best because of the number of users not the number of apps. Developers flock to the numbers then the apps come. If you can't get enough people to buy the device, it's potential will never be realized and therefore wasted. Like Band 1 very few apps, lots of wasted potential.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

If you're a desk jocky, it may be easier to take it off when you work. Screen inside is how it is designed to be worn. Anatomically speaking it is easier to rotate your arm to use the Band functions

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I wore mine screen inside wrist and didn't really bang on it much. If you're afraid you may be banging the screen while typing on the keyboard, then you're not doing it ergonomically correct. Other than that, it didn't take much time for me to remember not to bang my left wrist when moving about the desk. Reading and operating the Band is much better when worn inside.

Yes, I'm concerned about damaging it while trying, my watch band is pretty beat up, but the face has only a few nicks. My typing is fine, I'm a software engineer, been on the keyboard everyday for long periods of time for 25 years. I've found my watch is easier to read outside too, that's why I think the band will as well. Glad inside works for you, but it won't for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb