Notification center

haydenjr

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I turned this tile off. But it showed anything (and everything) that showed up from my android notifications, which got annoying.

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
So, if clear items here, does it clear them on the individual Band tile? Silly if not
They are working on it to get that fixed, but it's not easy to do that on all platforms (Windows Phone, iOS, Android)

What it does it that it displays all other notifications that are not yet available on a specific tile (calander, facebook messenger etc).

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Should be easy considering I have a 1520 and a Band 2, both MS. So now I have to clear the same text in 3 places, Text Tile, Notification Tile and on 1520 - absurd

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
In some other topic here, some of the microsoft developers said it's just not that easy as one might expect because the phone API's do not support these kind of actions. It is coming very soon but you must realize that one year ago, without the Band 1 and all the other smartwatches, there was totally no need for phone developers to let an external bluetooth device control the notification center. So... they didn't built that into the phone firmware and operating system ;-). And as a result this feature first has to be built in the Phone OS's before it "should be easy" (no offence).

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
In some other topic here, some of the microsoft developers said it's just not that easy as one might expect because the phone API's do not support these kind of actions. It is coming very soon but you must realize that one year ago, without the Band 1 and all the other smartwatches, there was totally no need for phone developers to let an external bluetooth device control the notification center. So... they didn't built that into the phone firmware and operating system ;-). And as a result this feature first has to be built in the Phone OS's before it "should be easy" (no offence).
Pitiful if true...syncing should not be difficult, and clearing the same message in 3 places is amateur hour. No wonder MS stuck at 2.7%

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Pitiful if true...syncing should not be difficult, and clearing the same message in 3 places is amateur hour. No wonder MS stuck at 2.7%

Hi Mikepalma,

Up until recently it wasn't doable on any of the phone platforms. The idea of having a third party wearable change the bubble count on notifications is one of those things that everyone knows is obvious, but support had to be built into platforms for it.

Each phone platform has different limits on what it allows a wearable device to do over Bluetooth! Sometimes our Health app can help us out, other times it cannot.

Permission issues for developing phone apps is a huge deal, and on top of that, until very recently none of the phone platforms were even designing for these scenarios. Allowing remote clearing of notifications is something that has to be wired in throughout the entire Phone OS. The traditional model is to just send a string up with what the notification text is, and maybe some other metadata, such as the phone number or contact name. There never was a planned way to get information back down to the app that sent it.

When those pipes did appear, well, apps still have to opt into using them. On Android for example, some messaging applications expose additional actions that can be taken, while others have not yet been updated to do this.

During our planning phase we discovered all of this. We ended up not trying to support the one or two very limited scenarios that would not even have given a consistent experience on one platform.

As I mentioned in another thread, technology has moved forward so we're going to re-evaluate what is possible now.

This has been in our earliest concept sketches since day 1, a long with a bunch of other really cool stuff! But unfortunately reality tends to barge into the room and stomp all over dreams.

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi Mikepalma,

Up until recently it wasn't doable on any of the phone platforms. The idea of having a third party wearable change the bubble count on notifications is one of those things that everyone knows is obvious, but support had to be built into platforms for it.

Each phone platform has different limits on what it allows a wearable device to do over Bluetooth! Sometimes our Health app can help us out, other times it cannot.

Permission issues for developing phone apps is a huge deal, and on top of that, until very recently none of the phone platforms were even designing for these scenarios. Allowing remote clearing of notifications is something that has to be wired in throughout the entire Phone OS. The traditional model is to just send a string up with what the notification text is, and maybe some other metadata, such as the phone number or contact name. There never was a planned way to get information back down to the app that sent it.

When those pipes did appear, well, apps still have to opt into using them. On Android for example, some messaging applications expose additional actions that can be taken, while others have not yet been updated to do this.

During our planning phase we discovered all of this. We ended up not trying to support the one or two very limited scenarios that would not even have given a consistent experience on one platform.

As I mentioned in another thread, technology has moved forward so we're going to re-evaluate what is possible now.

This has been in our earliest concept sketches since day 1, a long with a bunch of other really cool stuff! But unfortunately reality tends to barge into the room and stomp all over dreams.

Kind of off topic I suppose, but anyways, on my Huawei watch, when I get an email, I can keep scrolling regardless of how long the email is and read all of it right there on the watch. I find that extremely useful. On the band 2, it shows a few words and cuts off. This is especially annoying when I get an email with just a couple of sentences and the band cuts off right before the last sentence ends. I then have to get my phone out and read the last few words... Might as well have just picked up the phone in the first place... The same thing happens with text messages.

Is this also a limitation of the current APIs and implementation? Is there any plan to address this kind of stuff?

I realize the band 2 is a fitness band first and a smartwatch second, but the way it is now (smartwatch features), it is frustratingly inferior to what my Huawei watch offers me. When I say smartwatch features, I just mean better handling of notifications basically, not apps or anything.

Just wondering if these kinds of things are in the pipeline for the current generation bands or if it is something that is probably not going to happen? Maybe Band 3? :)

HomeBound12

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm fully behing this request.
A few lines of e-mail is frequently not enough to judge if we need to "action it" or if it can wait...
I'd also like the option to "mark read" or "mark important" so I can quickly get back to it if need be.

HomeBound12

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Pls explain the purpose of this tile and how to use it. Thanks

I use it to get other notifications that I care about (real time football scores for example
but it looks like it can be any app you want).
(First I disabled all and than I enabled notifications from those apps that I care about...)
However when I enabled it SMS stopped comming.
I quickly realized that my SMS app is now on the list in "notification tile" and this made "default SMS tile" stop working - it would not longer notify me of SMS.
So I had to go back to notification list to enable SMS (and have removed SMS tile since it's no longer working).

Everything is fine now but there is a problem: I can no longer see SMS history like I use to be able to do when I had notification center off. Kinda anoying but ok, I can live with it...

Note one oddity however: while SMS (both default one and one that I use) was on the list of "notification" apps GMAIL for example was not... wierd...

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
On the band 2, it shows a few words and cuts off. This is especially annoying when I get an email with just a couple of sentences and the band cuts off right before the last sentence ends. I then have to get my phone out and read the last few words... Might as well have just picked up the phone in the first place... The same thing happens with text messages.

I realize the band 2 is a fitness band first and a smartwatch second, but the way it is now (smartwatch features), it is frustratingly inferior to what my Huawei watch offers me. When I say smartwatch features, I just mean better handling of notifications basically, not apps or anything.

Just wondering if these kinds of things are in the pipeline for the current generation bands or if it is something that is probably not going to happen? Maybe Band 3? :)

We are aware that messages are too small right now. On one hand we don't want people reading entire novels on the device, but we were too conservative with what we set initially,

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
We are aware that messages are too small right now. On one hand we don't want people reading entire novels on the device, but we were too conservative with what we set initially,

Did your post get cut off? Or did you mistakenly end with the comma rather than a period? :)

Yeah, being able to read longer emails, texts, etc. would be very useful. Sounds like this is something that can be changed in a future software update then.

Manmikey

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
What is involved in making a tile for a specific app?for me I would love a WhatsApp tile, is it WhatsApp that would need to make it, or Microsoft, or can anyone with the right skills? There have been no new usefull notification tiles since day one (FB, Twitter, Phone SMS, outlook) as far as I can tell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium