Rubber strap splitting on Band2

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
The same thing here, mine has also started tearing and I'm on the phone right now with the Microsoft Support line, but I'm afraid that Microsoft is doing a really bad job here. I didn't know that there were this many people with the same issue on the Band... I'm curious about what they say about this one.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
oh no, about half inch from the microsoft logo, I see a tiny crack forming from the edge. :( Wonder if it's big enough to show them yet......

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Already had mine replaced once. This new one is only a few weeks old and I can already see an indention where the metal ends in the rubber forming.
I suspect this one will crack open too in another week or two.

Terrible crap design and MS should be ashamed of themselves for releasing this garbage.

They are going to lose a lot of customers over this.

Theraxant

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Mine has got a big crack also (4 Month daily usage). I will send it to ms after my vacation.
From what I read in this and a german microsoft forum i think that within 6 months most band users will have a broken rubber strap.
I hope they will fix the problem and replace our broken bands with an updated version of the band.

felstriker

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Mine has got a big crack also (4 Month daily usage). I will send it to ms after my vacation.
From what I read in this and a german microsoft forum i think that within 6 months most band users will have a broken rubber strap.
I hope they will fix the problem and replace our broken bands with an updated version of the band.

I just got mine back yesterday sent it off on the 1st and got it by the 10th so that's pretty good. They didn't fix my old one they just sent a new one out to me no scuffs or marks on it. Also don't send the plug just send the usb charge part as I never got the usb plug part back -_- just the usb charge lead. Im gonna just put some electrical tape around the area that gets damaged and see if that prevents the cracking issue

n6Firefox

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Hello! New on this forum.
I also have Band2 that have split. Got it from Amazon.co.uk on Feb the 6th and I noticed the crack in the rubber on March the 10th.
WP_20160311_002.jpg
I have filed to Amazon a complain about lack of quality and will return the Band back to them.

Most likely I will get a new band because I like it, it is really good. The failure occured for me where the stiff curvature of the Band is followed by rubber and I suspect thats where the flaw is.

I had a medium band, is the curvature on the smaller band smaller? Then I might try the small version.

I'll get back on my Amazon quest!

Criticalbilll

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Sent mine back from the UK with the same problem on 01/03 after only 3 months of use... got it back today still broken with the message saying it wasn't covered. Immediately started a chat session with them and they tell me it is covered by warranty, so I can end it back again. The chat person told me "this issue was not previously covered by warranty, however this has just recently changed", so its about time Microsoft told their warrant inspection team about it! After the band 1s battery cover peeling issues I'd hoped they would have managed to work out how to make a watch strap by now, but clearly not... There is no suggestion that they have changed materials or anything to I would guess that the replacement will go in the same way after a few months, so I think the only real option is to sell it and look at alternatives... shame really.

pafrac

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
The same thing has happened to mine ... a big split right across the rubber, in pretty much the same place. I was assured by MS Support it was covered under warranty because it was a hardware defect, but today I got it back unfixed and for good measure they cancelled the warranty due to "physical damage". I've gone back to them to get it escalated so I'll see what happens.

Band 2 split.jpg

I suspect the problem is that it's a large, and I have to have it at maximum tightness to fit properly, which is stressing the rubber. It is definitely bigger than the Band 1 - I had a large in that and it fitted fine. The size guide places me dead centre in the large zone. My wife's Band 2 is a small which is tight enough right in the middle of the clasp, and it's not showing any sign of the same problem (yet!).

I can't even go back to the Band 1 because I sent it back for the ?70.00 off deal they had :eck:

I am not happy - I really liked the Band 2 but this has definitely taken the shine off and I won't be recommending it to anyone else.

Finny2203

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I took my back to my retailer Argos in the UK got an instant replacement and a ?50 refund as the price had dropped. MS need to sort this out.

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Got my band as a Christmas gift and noticed a couple of weeks ago the strap started splitting in the same place as most, where the metal inside the strap ends causing a hard edge which the strap is pulled against when wearing it on one of the smaller settings.

My band is medium and I wear it on the left wrist with the screen on the inside. My wife had a band 1 which she had to send off twice for repair, once for the clasp (no problem with getting a replacement), she now has a small band 2 and it seems the metal is curved in more for the small wrist so doesn't appear as vulnerable to the issue mine has had.

I wear my band at night where it probably gets more pressure on the strap than during the day when I'm at my desk mostly. I feel this is probably when this damage occurred, hard to tell through as the crack is on the outside of the wrist and when it was small was hard to notice. I certainly didn't abuse the device to cause damage, I wore it as the manufacturer intended (to measure sleep).

I sent my band off for warranty repair stating that I felt it was a design fault but got it back today saying I had caused physical damage so it wasn't covered! The split started as a very small crack right along the hard metal edge, this quickly developed into a larger split the width of the strap which is when I sent it off.

I'm not happy. I'd be interested to know how others have got on when complaining. No MS Support online right now to complain to, I'll try in the morning. It was bought directly from MS Store UK so I guess I could complain to the store itself, or maybe as it was bought with credit card go to them for compensation!?

ScottyKnox

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Got mine in the US direct from Microsoft through preorder (arrived on release date). Mine split about 3 weeks ago in the same spot. We have a large Microsoft Kiosk in our local mall so I took it there for them to look at. They immediately gave me a new band. I have the MS Care Package, but they said they were not using the care warranty and actually updated my care start date to the day of my return.

It seems that the staffs at the MS stores have common sense and want to retain customer. I feel bad for everyone that doesn't have a store close to them. If they had sent back my band back from the Warranty Center saying it was caused by my negligence I would be furious. It does sound like MS is finally owning up to the issue and covering this splitting issue under warranty.

I went through 2 Band 1's and am now on my second Band 2. I really like the Band and find it hard to believe that MS is having issues with it. Do they really test these products with people that wear them continually week after week. It is described as a device you should only take off in the morning to charge while you shower. I don't think they test it this way.

MS, pick some Forum users that have had issues with their bands and have them test your Band 3 for a few months before its release. That will probably be your best way to ensure QA, and avoid these types of issues on the future bands.

Coey22

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Bought mine just after Xmas, woke up a couple of weeks ago with the band split. Sent it off to Microsoft, got an email giving me the impression I was getting a replacement. When it arrived last week, it was the original back with e split strap, apparently not covered under warranty - for one of several reasons, not told which one. Absolutely raging. Took it back to Argos where I bought it yesterday, they gave me a refund ( the choice of a replacement was not taken up). Shocking service from Microsoft, fantastic service from Argos. Now I just need to work out which of its competitors is best.....

Luke henderson1

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue, bought mine the day before black friday in america, living in australia though.

on the phone as I type, waiting for the support team to get my photo of the issue. have sent them a photo.. seems to be a very common thing on these devices bought around that time. my model number is 1721 and lot no/date is 1546, if anyone else has the same problem with that band 2 product check those, might just be a bad batch.

Burnz316

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
band.jpg

same issue here, just split randomly the other day. (brought from Sydney, Australia store. Large in size)

*edit: after trying online support (won't actually load, tried three different browsers), I rang 13 20 58. The call centre is off-shore and the 'tech expert' couldn't understand parts of the conversation. He quoted me $300 AUD to replace the band because it was not covered by warranty. I'm a huge Microsoft fan but if I cannot get this replaced for free under warranty I will be cancelling all my paid services with them. My partner uses fitbit and her Fitbit HR heart rate monitor was faulty, they replaced it without testing it and did not require for it to be sent back for verification (they just shipped out a new one).

Last edited:

Wayne g

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Same issue with my Band2. Size Medium. Purchased Dec 15 - Broken Mar 16.

Woke up to find that the strap had split. I wear my band all the time and use it as advertised.

When I took it to the MS Store hear in Canada - they replaced it no questions asked. The manager admitted that they seen the issue but he believes it may be a manufacturing flaw with certain lots and not an inherent design flaw. After seeing this thread I have my doubts.

I am generally happy with the device and that it was replaced without question but I am not confident about the durability long term. MS should recall and replace faulty bands with new ones due to what is obviously a design flaw.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by WyrdWolf
So, I bought my Band2 shortly after release in October. Now, about 3 months or so in, the rubber strap is splitting about an inch off the display right where it becomes flexible. Now, I am not worried about scuffs and scratches, as I am an active-ish guy, but having the strap begin splitting after such a short time is kind of disheartening :unhappysweat:. Is anyone else having an issue like this?

Wow, I just looked at mine last night (my second - the first had that battery / freeze issue) and saw a split, exactly where you and other described - just off from the screen, it looks like where the rubber and metal meet. I wear it most days, nothing strenuous, never been dinged or anything. Seems like a premature wear and tear - kind of thing you would expect a year out, not 2 months in.

On the plus side MSFT was really nice and helpful about the first problem so I am expecting them to be cool with an exchange - just a week without my band and a nagging suspicion that this could be recurring.

Has anyone sent theirs in for replacement and had the replacement product split (normal wear and tear)?

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by anthonyng
Originally Posted by rlewis2737
...Also my band was a large and the tightest setting was the one I used (was fitted at the MS Store)...

This is also probably good information for everyone to log... Like what is normal wearing style and size, like mine is usually 1/2 to 3/4 tightness on medium band. So far so good since mid December.

mine was medium, 7/8 tightness but occasionally looser or tighter - wondering if it gets loose over time, leading to us to tighten, then loosens, we tighten, then tear...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos