How do I stop step counting in a car?

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Today, I took off the Band 2 and put it in my pocket while driving, thinking it would sense it was not on my wrist. But it still counted 1000 steps.

I understand either 1) the algorithm needs to be tweaked or 2) an "don't count steps" tile need to be added. But in the interim, what are options? What are you doing if you experience this problem?

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the steps are tracked by actual movement of the band. Meaning, if you bounce your hand up and down violently enough, it'll count steps. Even if you're sitting down. So the way to get it to not count steps is to move your wrist up and down less. I wish the step tracking mechanism was more complex than that, but it's not.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the steps are tracked by actual movement of the band. Meaning, if you bounce your hand up and down violently enough, it'll count steps. Even if you're sitting down. So the way to get it to not count steps is to move your wrist up and down less. I wish the step tracking mechanism was more complex than that, but it's not.

The Band 2 added steps when it was in my pocket in a car. Hand movement was out of the equation. It's strange. I'll test it again.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, replace the shocks? :winktongue:

As I understand it, the Band counts rhythmic movement - but only if it exceeds 12 repetitions. You'll have to analyse the movement in your car and figure out where it's coming from.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
That's weird. I commute 35 miles (one way) daily, and I don't believe I've ever caught Band 2 counting extra steps while driving. If there were any, they would have been in the single numbers, certainly not enough to notice. The roads around here are far from smooth, too. I've had other trackers that would rack up several hundreds, but not the Band. Might be worthwhile to open up a ticket with support and look into a replacement? Could also try a factory reset first, just for the heck of it.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys. Another work-around I'm trying is to simple turn off the Band when in a car. My question now is: Will I lose some data if I turn it off before syncing to the phone?

It's interesting (and good) that you aren't seeing a problem. It's a bad thing for Microsoft if widespread. Some of my streets are cobblestone with slow traffic, so I understand that the device could confuse the slow speed and bouncing as running. (But not if the Band is in my pocket!) I've also had steps counted on a 25 foot boat. And I'm certain I can't walk on water. So some tweaking by Microsoft might be needed, which is understandable.

Turns out, I'm going to return it for other reasons (intermittent sudden crash and shut down). Step counting in a car has been reported on some forums. I like the Band 2 and might replace it. So it still worthwhile to know your thoughts.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
so I understand that the device could confuse the slow speed and bouncing as running. (But not if the Band is in my pocket!)

You might want that, then someone else will say it should count while it's with you, just like a phone in your pocket counts :)

Most important thing is that we're all moving around more :)

VFC

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry I can't resist.
For those over 50: Fred Flintstone had the same issue with getting step counts while driving his car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs