Microsoft Band 2 GPS

aemehran

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
My Microsoft Band 2 doesn't find gps location, I exchanged it for a new one at Microsoft Store and the new one doesn't work either. And we checked the Band for employees at the Microsoft Store and they didn't work either. Have you guys seen this problem or have a solution to it?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My Microsoft Band 2 doesn't find gps location, I exchanged it for a new one at Microsoft Store and the new one doesn't work either. And we checked the Band for employees at the Microsoft Store and they didn't work either. Have you guys seen this problem or have a solution to it?
Mine usually takes about 5 minutes to lock on my position. Once it does, it stays locked very well and very accurate. I don't know that it gives you a location as a stand-alone unit but it does track your movements, speed, etc. I use it for my bike riding and the trip information is dead-nuts accurate.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that mine took about 5 minutes to lock the first time or if I start a walk somewhere other than where I last had a lock. Other than that, it locks quite fast.

lstar337

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I took advice to sync to the health app just before going for a walk/run, and to stand still while it searches. It has been pretty quick since I did those things.

Never understood the option to start a walk/run before GPS lock, you just miss a chunk of your tracking data!

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Never understood the option to start a walk/run before GPS lock, you just miss a chunk of your tracking data!

In my experience, the Band still estimates total distance based on steps, but only maps the portion of the run after the GPS is locked. I still get notified that I hit my first mile within 30 feet of the mark on my normal route even if it takes half a mile before the GPS locks.

The bigger issue is if you use a third-party like Map My Fitness to keep track of your workouts, the synced run only shows the distance based on the mapped GPS data if you start the run before the lock and get a lock partway through the exercise. At that point, I map my own route and edit the saved workout in Map My Fitness because that's how I keep track of the mileage on my shoes.

I took advice to sync to the health app just before going for a walk/run, and to stand still while it searches.
I'll have to give this a try. I've noticed that sometimes I can get a lock in a matter of seconds and sometimes it takes about two or three minutes. I've had some success with doing a power cycle on the Band before starting my run, but that doesn't always seem to help.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to give this a try. I've noticed that sometimes I can get a lock in a matter of seconds and sometimes it takes about two or three minutes. I've had some success with doing a power cycle on the Band before starting my run, but that doesn't always seem to help.
That can depend on how fresh the almanac data is, and if any GPS satellites are hiding behind local obstructions.

What may seem to be identical conditions for you is completely different once you look at where the satellites are. I haven't seen any informaiton if the Band uses AGPS or just GPS. (AGPS uses the phone's data link to download the almanac.)

GPS satellites are constantly on the move - and they don't come back to the same position 24 hours later. So what may seem to be identical conditions (same time, same place) really are completely different conditions. Regardless of the brand or model, anyone who uses a GPS a lot has stories about "bad GPS day" where the unit just will not get a lock.

Now, that said, I think most GPS users have reported a perception that a GPS will get a lock quicker if they're not moving. It would make sense that the logic would have a better chance of working out the solution from the different possible solutions if the data isn't constantly changing.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else having significant issues with getting GPS locks? Takes 10+ minutes sometimes. This is my third Microsoft Band

Thinking of just moving over to a Fitbit or Garmin at this point

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I know my Band 2 takes significantly longer to get a lock than my Band 1 did. Never actually timed it, but I'd say at least a couple of minutes, but nowhere near 10 minutes. My Fenix locks within 30 seconds, typically, but that's a different beast. Regards distance, the Band usually credits me with about a 20th of a mile more than the Garmin (on my six mile run).

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The first initial GPS lock seems to always take longer. Example, today you step outside the house and get the initial lock (may take a few minutes). Tomorrow you go outside and it should lock in much faster. Anytime I go to a new location, it seems to take a while for the GPS to lock in. Another factor is cloud cover.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Well I mean the problem is this isn't my first lock. I have this problem every time I go out with the band. I'm in a clear, unobstructed location and still can't get a GPS lock within a decent amount of time. It never gets a lock while i'm in the middle of running either.

It's incredibly frustrating. Sometimes turning it on/off helps but I don't know if that's a placebo or what

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It's never taken me as long as 10 minutes. Maybe 5 once in an out of the way location. And I've used mine in some very out of the way places on hikes and summer runs on a barrier island. Perhaps it just feels like that because you are anxious to start. I usually click the start button a minute or two before I want to begin and use the time while it's getting a fix for a last minute stretch if running or to check, slip on and adjust my knapsack if on a hike.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Timed it yesterday. Waited 10 minutes while stretching in an open area, no GPS lock. Turned it off and on, tried again. Waited 3 minutes, no lock. Decided to just run after that without the GPS.

I got home and ordered a Fitbit.

I should have learned my lesson with a Zune, Surface RT, and multiple Windows Phones along with multiple MS band replacements.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Timed it yesterday. Waited 10 minutes while stretching in an open area, no GPS lock. Turned it off and on, tried again. Waited 3 minutes, no lock. Decided to just run after that without the GPS.

I got home and ordered a Fitbit.

I should have learned my lesson with a Zune, Surface RT, and multiple Windows Phones along with multiple MS band replacements.

Sorry for the issues you've had. I've looked at Fibit, but none of them do everything the Band 2 does.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
After 4 months of regular use my GPS stopped working in late August rather suddenly. 1 in 10 times it'd find a lock and then just stopped altogether. I did numerous hardware resets and finally just got it exchanged at the MS store for a new one. The clerk at the MS store didn't even try to debug it after I said I had did a number of factory resets. There's likely nothing fixable. They gave me a RMA and I had to mail it back. Got a new one back within 2 weeks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs