If MS abandons us Band users, what will you get next?

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess I can understand, if I owned an iPhone or an Android, I'd check out an band or watch that, unlike MS Bands, only supported phones that shared its OS. Or that didn't have specific settings to track various activities and sports.

But I'd feel I was taking a step backwards.

Ric Byrum1

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
From what I heard today, there is some talk about bringing new life into the MS Band 2 by making it (believe it or not) stand-alone, like it's competitors. My advice to them and everyone else is that unless they can get a team in there to work as hard on the Band 2 or whatever version of the MS Band, they're going to be lost. This is clearly NOT the phone market. It's not like you can slide an OS out there and entice or cheaply buy out a competitor to do the manufacturing, so fresh blood must be brought in. To do this, they're probably going to need the assistance of the same type of free-thinking team that made that Holo-Lens and developed the new innovative HPU. When I first took a look at this from an engineering standpoint, it looked like a bottle-neck. After seeing the terabytes of threads that can be produced by this little processor, it will put the Holo-Lens in a class all of its own. I really think from what I've heard from reliable sources, that the bands are not dead, merely in re-stasis. We will either know by 2017 by February 1st, whether or not the band will still be a new and formidable competitor or not. Thank you for your input on this matter!

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
But if MS starts and stops, waits and is out of the market until 2/1/17, it will concede the wearable market the same way it did the phone market.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
But if MS starts and stops, waits and is out of the market until 2/1/17, it will concede the wearable market the same way it did the phone market.

2/1/17? Maybe. It depends on what happens between now and then. My feeling is that everyone is still searching for the "secret sauce" of features and price point to make the mass public jump on board. Whoever find that is the winner.

If you're not trying, you're dying.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't worn my Band 2 in about three days and I'm seriously thinking of not wearing it any more on a daily basis, and just putting it on my wrist when I go out for runs, hikes or bike rides, just to delay another band or battery problem, until either I come up with a viable alternative or MS comes up with some other similar device, whenever or if it ever, does.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
I've got it narrowed down to two options. The Vivosmart HR+ or Vivoactive HR. I like the Vivosmart and just need to find a Vivoactive locally to see how it feels on the wrist. Kinda worried it may be too large for my wrist.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
George, do either of the Vivos pause on their own when you stop running (to tie your shoe or get a drink) and then start up again automatically when you resume? Or show you by color mode your BPM range?

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I haven't worn my Band 2 in about three days and I'm seriously thinking of not wearing it any more on a daily basis, and just putting it on my wrist when I go out for runs, hikes or bike rides, just to delay another band or battery problem, until either I come up with a viable alternative or MS comes up with some other similar device, whenever or if it ever, does.

Why?

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I really love and have come to depend on my Band 2, nothing else (that I've seen or heard of) has all the features for running and hiking. And that's putting aside all the message email and phone uses when used with a Windows Phone. If MS is neither making or stocking any more Band 2s online or in their stores, I do not want to be caught one day having to buy, learn how to use or find work arounds for another device which doesn't have all the features of the Band.

Last edited:

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
George, do either of the Vivos pause on their own when you stop running (to tie your shoe or get a drink) and then start up again automatically when you resume? Or show you by color mode your BPM range?

Can't say that they automatically pause when running (if there's a setting for that I haven't found it yet). There is a Move IQ setting that detects an activity if you forget to launch one.

As far as the BP range, you do have colored graphs available in the Connect app that show your resting and high readings for the day or week.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Just picked up a Vivoactive HR and it might be the closest thing to the Band 2 available. It is about 1/4 inch wider than the Band 2 and the interface isn't as smooth, but you have a nice range of Connected Apps that can be installed on the watch that range from clock faces to weather apps to display styles to chart your data.

Notifications are still iffy though, but better than what I am experiencing with the Vivosmart HR+. I get maybe every third or fourth notification make its way from the phone.

I do like the simplicity of the Vivosmart but man... if I can get used to the wider Vivoactive, that might be the way to go.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The FitBit Blaze looks like it has the feature set I want. Price is OK - $199. Many of the other options people have mentioned seem more on the athletic side. I want a smart watch with more than a passing interest in fitness. It lacks the built-in GPS, apparently it uses the phone's. I'm OK with that. The reminder to move is probably a little more important to this cubicle dweller. (Something the Surge lacks.)

The Garmins looks like they might be weak on the smart watch side, while being overkill for my needs in fitness.

However, from what I'm hearing, I'll be doing less walking to reach the same step goal.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Looked at the Blaze but I'm wasn't too keen on having to pop the watch out of the bezel to charge it. I think it would have been better served with a charger that latched on magnetically to the back of the watch.

With my daughter and wife well entrenched with Garmin (we even have the Smart Scale), when my Band 2 bites the dust I'll be going with the Garmin Vivosmart HR+. Just felt more comfortable on my wrist than the Fitbit bands and I can actually join a family circle.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
That's a pretty big one. You want to be on the same ecosystem as the friends/family you intend to "compete" with.

Both are iPhone users (as is my son) so we haven't had a lot in common over the years. I think this will be a first where we are all on the same page, in a manner of speaking.

anon(9895094)

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
To me, the Garmins look like the best option but man, I don't want it to get to that... I really, really use the guided workouts, even made my own workouts, and it seems that there are no other bands like that, except for specialized ones like Atlas.

ATAcapt

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I went with the Garmin Vivoactive HR. I tried the Garmin Vivosmart HR but could not read the text well due to the dim display. The Vivoactive HR is the closest thing I could find to the Band 2. I am currently wearing both to compare the results. So far the Vivoactive is better at heart rate, notications, visibility in direct sunlight, comfort and battery life. The Band beats it in sleep mode and low light visibility.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss