Where to go after Band 2

JJanner

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! That works (after manually clicking sync several times) for activity; sleep data has not successfully synced yet; perhaps not implemented in the MS Health > Fitbit conversion.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Because? They don't work well? They're not capable?

Sorry for the delay in answering. I use Fitbit Charge 2 and I like it. Currently notifications do not work because, Fitbit claims, they are waiting for MS to update something. Once that update is made they should be working. However, the wait has been going on for almost 6 months now.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in answering. I use Fitbit Charge 2 and I like it. Currently notifications do not work because, Fitbit claims, they are waiting for MS to update something. Once that update is made they should be working. However, the wait has been going on for almost 6 months now.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

That would be GATT server support, which was just put into place for the fast insider ring last month. Fitbit had a beta signup not long ago, which is now closed, but should be rolling out to those that signed up soon, with it to be finalized when the creator's update for mobile is finalized...

lstar337

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Thank you! That works (after manually clicking sync several times) for activity; sleep data has not successfully synced yet; perhaps not implemented in the MS Health > Fitbit conversion.
Hmm.... Sleep is shown in the table as 'Read' from MS Health and 'Read/Write' for FitBit, so it should be working. :/

lstar337

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Well, I just handed my 2nd Band 2 back for a full refund. I will miss it like crazy, but I have just ordered a Garmin Vivoactive HR to fill the void.

I will miss the health app as it was so well laid out and the web portal is perfect. Hopefully Garmin Connect will be a decent replacement.

Karpito

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Vivoactive HR for a week now and I can say I'm satisfied with it. I've tried the Vivosmart HR+ for 2 days and didn't like it.

guetmb

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Just got a Garmin VivoSmart HR+ to replace a Band 2.

I got a full refund for the Band 2 as the strap was splitting (I was in the second year of the 2-year extended warranty, and was told refunds are given to those in the second year).

The recent update to the Garmin Connect app for Windows 10 Mobile is what drew me first. The VivoSmart HR+ is a very close match to the Band 2, as it has a similar form factor with built-in GPS functionality, and very similar (I'd say better) stats and activity tracking software.
I gave up a UV sensor, microphone, and colour display on the Band 2. There aren't add-ons (like the Starbucks app), but I didn't really use them. Instead, the Vivosmart HR+ is waterproof, the watch face can be always on (and is fantastic in direct sunlight), and the strap is very light and breathable. I wear it on the inside on the left wrist (like the Band 2), and it can also be on the top of the wrist with a portrait display.
What sold me also is the rich set of notifications connected to phone apps (I can scan the content of texts and e-mails). Bluetooth connectivity can be a little iffy (I did have problems with the Band 2 though, with the Cortana microphone rarely working). However, restarting after Garmin firmware upgrades, and re-installing the Garmin Connect app has stabilized things. It looks like the Bluetooth support in the Creators Update will help, as I've heard Microsoft is working with Garmin as well as Fitbit. But the rich and customizable set of notifications is another plus for the VivoSmart HR+.

While there aren't apps that can be added to the VivoSmart, there are some nice firmware add-ons, such as music controls and control of a Garmin action camera.

So far this is a great direct replacement for the Band 2, with a nearly identical feature set. My focus was on notifications from the phone when I'm working, and daily fitness and sleep tracking, with an emphasis on running. I also like that I can pick up replacement chargers at Best Buy, as the one I need works with several Garmin devices.

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
After my 6th band 2 I have went with the samsung gear S3 Frontier and I am very satisfied with the smart watch It is as good or maybe a bit better than my Band2 which I loved. It is a bit pricey but I feel it is well worth it, you may want to give it a try I am growing to love it as much as my band2 :smile:

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just got a Garmin VivoSmart HR+ to replace a Band 2.

So far this is a great direct replacement for the Band 2, with a nearly identical feature set. My focus was on notifications from the phone when I'm working, and daily fitness and sleep tracking, with an emphasis on running. I also like that I can pick up replacement chargers at Best Buy, as the one I need works with several Garmin devices.

One of my main concerns is notifications. When a text comes in, what is the average time it took for it to reach the Vivo? When I tried the Vector watch, it would take anywhere from 30sec to 5min and sometimes never - that was a dealbreaker.

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
On the samsung gear S3 frontier notifications are instantaneous If this is a priority the gear is your best chose. I am amazed at my email and Text come in not 2 sec. after my phone beeps also have not missed one single notification in 4 months better than my Band2 ever was.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Do any of these smartbands have the guided workout like the band had. That was one of my favorite features

Nope, nothing comes close to this like the Band. I have a Garmin Fenix 3HR and I still have to use my Band 2 for lifting weights. Well, I was up until about a week ago when I sent my Band 2 in for battery issues.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
On the samsung gear S3 frontier notifications are instantaneous If this is a priority the gear is your best chose. I am amazed at my email and Text come in not 2 sec. after my phone beeps also have not missed one single notification in 4 months better than my Band2 ever was.

Haha, it's not the Band, it's the phone. I was using an Icon and Band 2 up until Black Friday. Switched to a Samsung Galaxy S7 and all of a sudden, notifications starting arriving on my Band BEFORE the phone. Now don't get me wrong, my Icon and Band 2 worked good together the majority of the time. But, my Android phone worked BETTER with my Band 2 than my Windows phone.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
After my 6th band 2 I have went with the samsung gear S3 Frontier and I am very satisfied with the smart watch It is as good or maybe a bit better than my Band2 which I loved. It is a bit pricey but I feel it is well worth it, you may want to give it a try I am growing to love it as much as my band2 :smile:

The problem I found with the Gear S3 is that calendar events wouldn't save to the watch and then be available if your phone wasn't connected via BT. That was one of the best features about the Band I used. I could create all my calendar events, sync them down to my Band and then leave my phone in my car while I was at work. Then when the time for an appointment came up, my Band vibrated and told me the appointment. As far as I could determine, this feature is not available on the Gear S3. There are some features that the Gear S3 that does not have available as a stand-alone device.

lstar337

May 26, 2016
Visit site
One of my main concerns is notifications. When a text comes in, what is the average time it took for it to reach the Vivo? When I tried the Vector watch, it would take anywhere from 30sec to 5min and sometimes never - that was a dealbreaker.
Mine appears to be virtually instant.

David Goldwasser

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
My band is in to service again, so I'm looking at options assuming they are out of slice. The Mio Slice sounds interesting, but I'm also keeping an eye on Android Ware 2.0 devises coming out, although, that of course is no longer a band, but big clunky (but still cool) watch. Would probably only consider ones with HR and that I felt I could sleep in.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Got me a like new band 2 replacement for $60. Band 2 lives (in my case at least)

My current band is about to split at the class charging side.

AndrewMBaines

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, I tried a Garmin but never got beyond the pairing screen (round and round and round, got nowhere).
Then I tried a Fitbit Charge 2, but notifications still haven't arrived despite being promised 2 years ago. Even when they do arrive, email notifications aren't supported with any phone (not even iOS and Android). Real killer was after a regular day when I'd expect to have done 15,000 steps, the Fitbit claimed 25k steps and 5000 kcals.
So, it doesn't do what I need it to do. What it does do is dreadfully inaccurate.
Currently empty wrist, looking for what next.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium