Band 2 died (again) - Notified by Support there might not be a replacement

KrayMat

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
How are your notifications? I think I'm leaning toward the vivoactive over the fitbit blaze because I really like the fitness features, especially GPS and waterproof. At the very least though, I want to be able to see notifications and from what I'm reading they are spotty with W10M. I have an Elite X3 btw.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Notifications are basic but cover everything that comes through. You can't reply to notifications through the watch like Android Wear or the Band 2 (when it actually worked). I have not had any problems with notifications. Full disclosure, though, I'm using it with an Android phone. I've read that notifications are spotty with W10M. I'll try it with my 950XL over the weekend and let you know.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The first evening I had my Vivoactive HR, I had the same reaction to the screen. It looked fine when I first put it on (in the parking lot where I bought it in the middle of the afternoon). When I was winding down for the day and watching TV with the lights off in my living room, I could barely even see the screen. Even with the backlight on, I thought something was wrong because the screen was much dimmer than it had been earlier. It wasn't until I walked into the kitchen with the lights on that I realized that the surrounding lights made a difference on how bright the screen looked.
Yeah. It's actually really good in lighted environments and outside in daylight.

Saaiberke

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here...2nd time in 1 year the strap cracked...2nd time I've sent it back. Now suddenly I have to wait for a refund because they run out of stock. Sorry but I can't believe that they can't repair a broken rubber strap, they are just not willing to. Sending the broken device is not possible they say, because I was even willing to fix the crack myself, as long as I could continue to use the device. Once again I feel left in the cold by this fantastic Microsoft company. Don't think I will ever buy some hardware from them again, already lost some money on Home server (both V1 and 2011), Windows phone 7 and Windows phone 8.1 devices that can't be upgraded although I was used as a betatester on that same device...

Not even a year after I purchased my Band 2 these lame company isn't able to replace, repair or send back my device which is still under warranty. They make me wait 6-8 weeks for a refund without telling me what amount I will receive....

I'm looking out now for a Samsung gear Fit :)

So, bye bye Microsoft!

Nic

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
How's the Vivoactive HR tracking strength workouts? (weight lifting, etc.)
I'm not a big strength trainer. I do push-ups, sit-ups, leg lifts, and some basic weight lifting, but I wouldn't consider myself a strength trainer. I've read that there are apps that can be installed on it to track strength training, though. It's still kinda new to me, so I'm learning more and more about it each day. I'll post anything new that I find here.

Last edited:

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Mine was replaced twice in one year so I went to my local MS store last week and they replaced it with a Fitbit Blaze. Blaze is $25 more than what I had paid for my Band 2 but I complained that I had to have it replaced twice in one year, so they replaced it at not extra charge. So far I'm loving it. Hope they make a Band 3 this year.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
How are your notifications?
I'm using it with Windows 10. If the Garmin Connect Mobile app is open on the phone, text and email notifications come through on the Vivoactive HR just like they did with the Band. When the app is suspended in the background, I usually don't see any notifications, but occasionally they do come through and I can't explain why.

One annoying issue that I've experienced is that I sometimes go through stretches where every couple minutes, I receive an alert on my wrist. When I look at the device, it is just shows "Phone disconnected" with a Bluetooth icon. I don't know if the Vivoactive HR is constantly trying to sync and failing because the GCM app is not active, or if the background task of the GCM app is trying to force a synchronization and failing because the app doesn't run properly in the background on Windows 10.

On that note, this is possibly a related issue with the app. If I try to use the app after it has been suspended to the background for a while, it will display its last state, but the app will be unresponsive. I have to force it closed before I can re-sync with the wearable and view my latest information. Other than this annoyance of syncing with Windows 10, I do enjoy the device itself.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree with what poit57 said above. I've been using my Vivo with my 950XL all weekend. Pretty frustrating experience. Notifications are spotty at best. If the Garmin app is open, the notifications come through. When it's closed, the only notification that comes through is one letting me know that the watch has been disconnected. I think the watch is trying to sync, but gets no response from my phone.
This isn't to say that using it with my Nexus 6P has been flawless. It's leaps and bounds better than using it with my WP, but sometimes text notifications coming to my 6P are somewhat delayed and I have lost connection a couple of times. I would suggest using the Vivo with and Android device unless you can overlook the issues with W10M mentioned above. If you don't really rely on notifications via a watch and just want a really good activity tracker, the Vivoactive hr is the way to go.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
with the exception of the Garmin app being unresponsive, most of the notification issues "should" be fixed once GATT support is added to the Garmin app (if you are currently an insider)

FitBit is rolling out GATT support in beta soon (when? no clue) but no clue if Garmin is planning to soon as well. Hopefully someone supports it when MS "decides" on what they want to do with my Band 2.

KrayMat

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
with the exception of the Garmin app being unresponsive, most of the notification issues "should" be fixed once GATT support is added to the Garmin app (if you are currently an insider)

FitBit is rolling out GATT support in beta soon (when? no clue) but no clue if Garmin is planning to soon as well. Hopefully someone supports it when MS "decides" on what they want to do with my Band 2.

I got my HR Saturday... so far have received 0 notifications from my elite x3 besides phone connected/disconnected. Even with the app open. Occasionally the widgets will say "no notifications", or will show upcoming calendar events, but most of the time they all just say "waiting for data". Had a hell of a time getting connect IQ apps to install, but finally did. Also, went to bed with 36% battery and woke to a dead phone.. the culprit - GCM. Before 36% would have gotten me through the night and most of the following day. Really frustrating, was hoping notifications would be at least spotty.

Other than that, I love the device... love the apps, watch faces, widgets. GPS is quick, sleep seems accurate. I might keep it in hopes that notifications eventually work. I love WM and I love my Elite x3, but MS always seems to be a step behind.

**update: I somehow got notifications working today, even with the phone locked they seem to be coming in fairly regularly. I uninstalled/unpaired, but what I think did it was changing GCM app background to always instead of "managed by windows".

Last edited:

lolguy

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I just got back from the store in Tampa. I was able to get full refund of $249 plus my extended service plan that I paid for $49 back on whatever card I wanted. Ended up being $309 refunded. My wife originally bought it in November 2015 as Christmas present for 2015 and they were able to look up the original purchase in the system. I will say.. I do a lot of business in the Tampa store for work, I purchased 4 surface pro 4's recently and the employee that helped me today recognized me from previous visits; that may have helped my cause. Anyway, I'm very happy. I highly recommend going into a physical store if you have one near you. Now I'm just hoping my Band 1 holds up for a while and something new comes this year.

On my various replacement visits, anyone I've dealt with in the Tampa store has been very helpful. They got me a replacement in 8 days a couple of weeks ago.

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Well, MS is finally going to refund me.... Kind of sad, since I really liked my band 2.

This is sad, I am sending in my 2nd Band 2 today, less then 6 months after purchase, I was told the same thing that supplies are sparse and I might just get a refund instead, but I love my band 2 and do t want anything else. I am debating on buying a used one off ebay but at the failure rate reported does not seem like a good move on my part.

Fingers crossed they find me a replacement.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
It's been a little over two weeks since I was notified a refund was being issued. I noticed in the email that it says, "You will receive a refund check in the mail in 6-8 weeks."

I just chatted with support to verify if this is an additional 6-8 weeks or if it is counted from the original return date. The agent indicated that it should be counted from the original date, so she is escalating this issue. She said it may take 2 - 3 days to hear back from the escalation team.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
It's been a little over two weeks since I was notified a refund was being issued. I noticed in the email that it says, "You will receive a refund check in the mail in 6-8 weeks."

I just chatted with support to verify if this is an additional 6-8 weeks or if it is counted from the original return date. The agent indicated that it should be counted from the original date, so she is escalating this issue. She said it may take 2 - 3 days to hear back from the escalation team.

escalation is a joke.... my band 2 was "escalated" a few weeks back, and I got an email 3 days later stating everything I was told when I created my repair ticket.... that inventory is low, and it'll be 6-8 weeks before I know if I get a refund or another band.

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I honestly would be ok with a long wait if there is a chance I can get a replacement instead of a check.

Originally posted by ashram
Originally Posted by poit57

escalation is a joke.... my band 2 was "escalated" a few weeks back, and I got an email 3 days later stating everything I was told when I created my repair ticket.... that inventory is low, and it'll be 6-8 weeks before I know if I get a refund or another band.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Turns out my issue was a false alarm regarding a delayed refund check. My brother had misplaced the mail whatever day it arrived, and I happened to find it over the weekend. The envelope was actually postmarked 2 days before the email that they sent notifying me of the refund.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire