Why I think "Microsoft Band/Lumia Band" will succeed

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft recently just released the apps for their smart band, with no announcement as of writing this forum entry.
Why do I think it will succeed?
The answer is simple: Cross platform support

Being able to use the smart band on Windows Phone, Android and iOS is a huge plus, unlike Apple Watch, which is only compatible with iPhone 5 or above and Android Wear watches/bands, which require an Android device.

Lets hope Microsoft can go low with prices like they did with the low end Lumia phones!

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Without more widespread support among their phones for the "Hey Cortana" feature, I'm not so sure. For me, that would be the definitive convenience feature that makes this worth purchasing.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Here are some of the things I really like about the offering:
  1. I have had no desire for a smartwatch because they didn't do anything different or better. I was somewhat interested in the Fitbit Surge, so Microsoft has good timing with this.m As one poster on Engadget put it, "The smartwatch is the solution for a problem that has not been found yet." This device does several things that other devices can't. 10 Sensors? Are you crazy? Great Job Microsoft!
  2. The form factor is one that can appeal to the masses.
  3. Like the OP pointed out: Cross platform.
  4. Competitive price point - only $50 more than the Surge with a whole lot more functionality.
  5. Having partners, and high quality partners, already on board.
  6. It helps bridge the WP app gap. Starbucks, Runkeeper, etc...
  7. Privacy: You can control the data that is shared. (Health Vault)
  8. Launch item is a baseline. Adding new partners will grow the usefulness of the device.
  9. I think they hit it spot on with notifications. I don't want teeny-tiny keyboard to deal with.
  10. The do all of the things competitors do. Sometimes Microsoft releases a product and there are 1-2 key things their product does not do that the competitor does.
  11. They beat Fitbit and Apple with their lead offerings and made it available at just the right point going into the holiday shopping season. Bingo!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not entirely familiar with all the features of this device but so far sounds pretty good. Once again, my issue is with Microsoft's marketing Dept. Couldn't they create some buzz about it in order to make it a more successful launch? At the very least a couple of commercials during game 7 of the World Series last night would've been nice.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
The MSFT band is a real contender, and it is at least going to be in one market before Xmas - the surge and Apple watch coming after.

I'm torn between the surge and band - why the heck is the band not waterproof????

I'm a rower and swimmer (36 km rowing per week, week with swimming and weights and martial arts also) and the water is where I really want a heart rate monitor, and a lap timer, gps etc.

The band looks great on paper but the surge allows swims.

What to do...

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm not entirely familiar with all the features of this device but so far sounds pretty good. Once again, my issue is with Microsoft's marketing Dept. Couldn't they create some buzz about it in order to make it a more successful launch? At the very least a couple of commercials during game 7 of the World Series last night would've been nice.
I am guessing that air space had to be bought well in advance and the release date has likely been fluid. I am good to wait for launch for commercials as long as the do a good job now, but you are right, the track record is pretty shabby. The SP3 finally found a good groove with the "tablet that can replace your laptop" theme. Let's hope they come up with something catchy that resonates with consumers for this. Showing cross platform usage is essential to sell a lot bore the iwatch joins the game.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I just saw Daniel's unboxing and rundown of the features and I gotta say that this thing rocks!! Microsoft really hit it outta the ballpark with this thing! I do own a Fitbit Flex and was thinking about upgrading to the new ones they just announced, but now I might have to go with this.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
cross platform support is a huge reason why it can do well. im very curious to see how it works differently between platforms, will Sir/Google Voice be used instead of Cortana? Will the icons on the watch change based on the platform? should be interesting for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923