Can anyone help me with some questions about the Microsoft band?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
3 things I'm trying to find out about Microsoft band

First, will it have cortana responding voice or the "Hay cortana" feature or is it just limited to beeps and sounds?

2nd, please tell me there's an option to control media. I would really love to pair this with my phone and Bluetooth speaker for when I'm working out.

3rd, do you download the apps, or do they come preloaded? There is no starbucks app! I did find a third party app, but will they let dev's take advantage of this?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
re: 3 things I'm trying to find out about Microsoft band

I doubt if anyone here will know yet, as nobody has gotten their hands on one yet. I'd recommend checking the blogs, as I'm sure Daniel or someone else will provide more information when they learn further details.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: 3 things I'm trying to find out about Microsoft band

First, will it have cortana responding voice or the "Hay cortana" feature or is it just limited to beeps and sounds?

2nd, please tell me there's an option to control media. I would really love to pair this with my phone and Bluetooth speaker for when I'm working out.

3rd, do you download the apps, or do they come preloaded? There is no Starbucks app.! I did find a third party app, but will they let dev's take advantage of this?

1. Hey Cortana will come with Denim. I wouldn't expect it before your phone receives that update. If you are with Verizon, you should probably never expect it.
  2. The Microsoft Band Twitter account made a reference to music, so I am guessing, yes.
  3. Microsoft invited developers to build apps for the device, so I would imagine there will be a way to download them. Starbucks payment happens through the Microsoft Health app, not a Starbucks app.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I will have my band soon, so I will just check it out, but I wonder if I can pair it with two phones (work and private) to get notifications from?
I would assume thought that it would be a bit of an issue for fitness data since it would make sense to sync them with only one device, but for notifications, it really shouldn't matter, should it?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site

Can you wear it on the outside of your wrist as well as on the inside? My concerns go to the accuracy of the heart rate monitor between the two...

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

The commercials show both positions so I'm sure the heart rate monitoring is not adversely affected by either.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Inside wrist is more accurate. Just purchased and confirmed.

I would think outside of the wrist would be more accurate as that way the sensor is against the area normally checked for your pulse. That's how I wear mine and it seemed pretty accurate.

crelim

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I am wearing it on the inside of the wrist just because I find it much more comfy. I compared my HR with a chest strap during a workout and it tracks very closely. I can save and plot data later today.

Pabrinex

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know whether it can export its HR data to a Garmin device by bluetooth ANT+ format? Would be great to replace chest strap when cycling if it could!

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

3rd, do you download the apps, or do they come preloaded? There is no starbucks app! I did find a third party app, but will they let dev's take advantage of this?

First: Cortana activates by a button press, and responds with text on the screen. With each prompt such as "try again, or send it" you'll press the button again to speak. Pressing the button again while it's listening will stop it from listening.

Second: You can tell it to play music, play next track, or repeat it.

Third: Some apps are already preloaded, but there are a bunch more that you'll need to load using the MS Health app. The Starbucks app is there to load, as others such as Finance, Facebook notifications, UV measuring etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa