Step Counter Extremely innacurate?

Codeworks

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello, all.

Love my band, but my step counter seems to be way off. While watching the counter, I can take a good 50-60 steps before it starts to register... If I sit for a while and get up and start walking again, it may take another 50 before it starts counting up.

With other step counters I have tried, they "seem" to count every step.

Anyone else having this issue?
Could it me the band? The fit? tightness?

How are the steps actually counted? Swinging of the arm?

Thanks in advance.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If it's anything like the SensorCore in my 1520 (And the Bing health and fitness app), it uses gps coordinates to count your steps bases on your height and weight you enter in the settings upon initial setup of the device.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If it's anything like the SensorCore in my 1520 (And the Bing health and fitness app), it uses gps coordinates to count your steps bases on your height and weight you enter in the settings upon initial setup of the device.

No. It uses the accelerometers to determine steps. GPS is an option you turn on when you're going for a run. Otherwise, it remains off.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh, the accelerometer. Well I stand corrected then. Wait, you mean on the phone? Or the band? For some reason, I thought I remembered reading that it uses gps to calculate steps... maybe I'm thinking speed. As in the time between one gps position and another.

jeres88

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed that it can take a bit to start registering steps if I've been sitting for awhile, but when it does it normally adds the extra steps I took.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I noticed it took awhile to start registering, but it counted pretty much all of them. Say I had 100 steps and walked 25 steps, it would not go 101, 102, 103 and so on as I walked. It would take a bit the all of a sudden register 120 and the start incrementing from there.

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
With SensorCore on the Lumias, there's a delay of about 10 seconds before it starts displaying any steps counted. It does this first to make sure that the movement it's detecting is actually you walking and not something else. Then it calibrates itself to your footstep cadence. It always adds in the missing footsteps after it's done with its initial calculations and calibrations.

My guess is that the Band does a similar kind of initial check and calibration at first. This would especially be necessary, since there's a lot more motions going on with your wrists, than with something in your pocket. So in a way, this is technically a form of increased accuracy. Otherwise, something as simple as typing on your computer could be misinterpreted as footsteps.

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I have been wearing The Band and the Fitbit One all morning.

As of right now...
The Band: 2190
Fitbit One: 2559

Pretty close, but I would imagine that gap will start to widen as the day goes on and could be off by a thousand or two by the end of the day. Which one is correct? Who knows, but I would guess that these guys tend to exaggerate steps so the one with the lower step count is probably closer...maybe.

gp3355

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
My step counter is wildly and inconsistently inaccurate. Today I counted 230 steps and it registered about 85. Other times it's *only* been 20% low. What gives? I'm used to my Fitbit which pretty much nails it. This inaccuracy makes the device kinda unuseable. Any thing I can do to improve it's performance before I return it?

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
My step counter is wildly and inconsistently inaccurate. Today I counted 230 steps and it registered about 85. Other times it's *only* been 20% low. What gives? I'm used to my Fitbit which pretty much nails it. This inaccuracy makes the device kinda unuseable. Any thing I can do to improve it's performance before I return it?

Walk normally using the Run tile for about a quarter of a mile or further with GPS on. See if that helps with your step count accuracy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes