Can anyone comment on how the band works while riding a bike?

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the same question. It would be nice to get information like speed, average speed, duration, changes between days for the same route, maybe even directions, vibrating ones to turn right, twice to turn left...

Felix Wong

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
So far the Microsoft Band only has a running app; use this for cycling. It displays elapsed time, heart rate, calories burned, and if you swipe down, it will temporarily show elapsed distance.

At the end it will report max HR and average HR. Never shows pace or speed, so it's quite basic.

Currently, you can't edit the activity in the phone app when you are done. (There seems to be no Windows 8 Store app?) So you can't change the activity type from running to cycling.

If you link with RunKeeper, it will automatically upload the basic data, like time and distance and HR to it. BUT it will not upload the GPS map or any of those details. So you can't export a .GPX file from RunKeeper and, say, upload and analyze the GPS data in Strava or other services. You can't export GPS data from the phone app, nor can you use the Band as an external storage device by connecting it via USB cable to your computer to extract data like you can with a Garmin.

This for me is the biggest issue for me because I am a serious Strava user, runner and cyclist. I like to analyze the details of the data after the activity. Otherwise the basic functionality is fine (I'm even ok with the device not displaying current speed since my bicycles have cheap $30 cyclometers mounted on them for that).

I trust that Microsoft in the (hopefully near) future will 1) enable GPS data export, 2) create a dedicated cycling app, 3) enable GPS map and detail synchronization with RunKeeper, 4) release the Microsoft Health app for Windows 8.1 (so far there is seems like there is synchronization between the MSN Health & Fitness app or Microsoft HealthVault?) and 4) work with other services like Strava to create a connected app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3