Picking the right size?

Alkaziel

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, I'm about to ask a friend to get me a Band, since I'm not in the USA, but can't decide which size I should go for... On MS website, they tell that the small one is for 39mm wrist height, while the medium one is for 41mm ones. I find weird that both sizes are only 2mm from each other.
So question is: since my wrist is exactly 39mm, should I go for the small one? Is this an average size, a max or a min?

valadon

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I printed out the measurement PDF that Microsoft provided and on that I was right on the line between small and medium. When I went into the store on tried them on, I found the small was perfect. The medium band I had to close all the way where the small band I was right in the middle of the clasp and room to go either direction if needed. If you are right on the fence I would suggest small. At least that is how it fit for me.

Good Luck!

smurfalarm

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
To back up valadon, I measured myself at 41mm, and while the medium fits me best as the sizing chart indicates, my wife's small Band still fits around my wrist and is just a tiny bit too snug. If you accurately measured yourself at 39mm, I would recommend you go for the small, because the medium is likely too big for you unless you want to wear it high up on your wrist. Enjoy!

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
To back up valadon, I measured myself at 41mm, and while the medium fits me best as the sizing chart indicates, my wife's small Band still fits around my wrist and is just a tiny bit too snug. If you accurately measured yourself at 39mm, I would recommend you go for the small, because the medium is likely too big for you unless you want to wear it high up on your wrist. Enjoy!

Is this with measuring with your wrist flat against an object on the sizing chart? Bending my hand up so my wrist lies flat on a box, my wrist is just on the small marker (apparently 40.5mm). However, if I just rest it, it sits just above it (medium, 42mm). Does the medium fit your wrist at 41mm?

st0xa

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Have same problem.
I find sizing Microsoft guide unhandy.
I managed to order band online in size M (shipping date is 11/6/14), and now I am reading reviews, and find out that male reviewers use L size.
Can somebody who already owned this band (in M or L) measure their wrist like in Jawbone UP guide:
"Wrap a string snugly around your wrist. Mark the string where the two ends cross.
Measure the string from one end to the marked place."
and write their measures and size of Microsoft Band they use.

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Interesting...I am just on the line for small but found the medium to fit best. I usually wear the medium band one click away from the smallest position and it fits great. Can use the smallest position on the medium band but it is a bit tight.

On the small band I found that I would have to set it to the largest position :/

smurfalarm

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Is this with measuring with your wrist flat against an object on the sizing chart? Bending my hand up so my wrist lies flat on a box, my wrist is just on the small marker (apparently 40.5mm). However, if I just rest it, it sits just above it (medium, 42mm). Does the medium fit your wrist at 41mm?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by having my wrist flat against an object. I put the printed out paper on a counter, put my wrist perpendicular to counter, held my hand straight, and measured the small of my wrist against the paper. It looked like I roughly matched the medium size. Then I took out a tape measure and tried to estimate the extent of how far apart the top to the bottom of my wrist was by eyeballing it, and it looked like roughly 41mm. The medium fits the small of my wrist where I would wear a watch perfectly and is very comfortable. The small is a bit too snug to the point where it is slightly uncomfortable but still wearable if I keep it at its loosest position. The large rattles around on my wrist and isn't even wearable unless I slide it up my forearm to a place where I can't really use it naturally.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you mean by having my wrist flat against an object. I put the printed out paper on a counter, put my wrist perpendicular to counter, held my hand straight, and measured the small of my wrist against the paper. It looked like I roughly matched the medium size. Then I took out a tape measure and tried to estimate the extent of how far apart the top to the bottom of my wrist was by eyeballing it, and it looked like roughly 41mm. The medium fits the small of my wrist where I would wear a watch perfectly and is very comfortable. The small is a bit too snug to the point where it is slightly uncomfortable but still wearable if I keep it at its loosest position. The large rattles around on my wrist and isn't even wearable unless I slide it up my forearm to a place where I can't really use it naturally.

Get something like a box, and bend your hand upwards so that it is almost 90? to the surface of the box horizontally. Then the inside of your wrist will rest flatly against the box. Trying measuring that :) also by the small of your wrist you mean that little bone thing right? Thanks for your help with this btw :) I really would be soooo gutted to order the wrong size (I live outside the U.S.)

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
so i went to the msft store because i thought maybe the large was too big, but it turns out it isn't. i tried on the medium and it was waaaay too small. i could just barely get the clasp closed and the band was super tight once i did. i tried that small on, too, and it seemed slightly tighter. i mention it only because i was surprised at how close in size the small and the medium are. i'm assuming the store didn't label a small band medium by accident. if there were labeled correctly, i can't understand the point of making two sizes so close together.

has anyone here bought a small and a medium? if so, is there a significant difference in size?

smurfalarm

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Get something like a box, and bend your hand upwards so that it is almost 90? to the surface of the box horizontally. Then the inside of your wrist will rest flatly against the box. Trying measuring that :) also by the small of your wrist you mean that little bone thing right? Thanks for your help with this btw :) I really would be soooo gutted to order the wrong size (I live outside the U.S.)

Sure, I will try this out later tonight.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Have same problem.
I find sizing Microsoft guide unhandy.
I managed to order band online in size M (shipping date is 11/6/14), and now I am reading reviews, and find out that male reviewers use L size.
Can somebody who already owned this band (in M or L) measure their wrist like in Jawbone UP guide:
"Wrap a string snugly around your wrist. Mark the string where the two ends cross.
Measure the string from one end to the marked place."
and write their measures and size of Microsoft Band they use.

I think that would be a better way of measurement too. Can anyone here do this on the medium/small?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Interesting...I am just on the line for small but found the medium to fit best. I usually wear the medium band one click away from the smallest position and it fits great. Can use the smallest position on the medium band but it is a bit tight.

On the small band I found that I would have to set it to the largest position :/
Curious to know the circumference of your wrist - it's kind of annoying that MS don't have a better way of choosing the right size. I live overseas, so there's no MS Stores that I can walk into and try on all of them :p so I want to be relatively sure I don't screw up the sizing (because return international shipping for electronics is EXPENSIVE from New Zealand ).

Henley Bailey

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I just measured my wrist circumference and it's about 177mm. I chose the medium band and a comfortable fit is dead centre on the strap (4 clicks in out of the 8 available) so that's perfect for me. I agree a better way of deciding what size to get would be helpful. I had to reserve all three sizes then go to the shop to try. The print out it wasn't really clear to me exactly what size would work well.

My general stats to help visualise the build I am (and the size of my wrists). Athletic male, 156lbs and about 5ft 9in.

Last edited:

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Curious to know the circumference of your wrist - it's kind of annoying that MS don't have a better way of choosing the right size. I live overseas, so there's no MS Stores that I can walk into and try on all of them :p so I want to be relatively sure I don't screw up the sizing (because return international shipping for electronics is EXPENSIVE from New Zealand ).

jojoe42.... I printed out the Band size chart (pdf) from the Microsoft/band website. I found it to be spot on. I do have a pair of calipers to measure the thickness of my wrist from outside to inside.....the chart was exact for me. I would try to use something to accurately measure the height (or thickness) of your wrist to size the band correctly. Just make sure when you print the "Find your right size" band chart from the website...that your printed copy is exact size as shown in a size graph on the page.

SamreeJadogar

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I printed out the Microsoft measurement guide/scale and found out that I was in overlapping zone of Medium and Larage (my size is 183mm). Please suggest the right size for me. Please note that there is no MS store in my country to check the right size before purchase.

Medium size zone is 162 - 188 mm
Large size zone is 180 - 206

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills