Comfort

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I will be getting mine in a few days, just read Paul Thurrot's review where he called it "lead strapped to his wrists".

What have the others' experience been? Especially for people who don't generally wear watches or other fitness bands?

Someone has bigger problems than the weight of the device if they really consider 2.12 ounces to be the equivalent of a lead weight.

Xsled

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It felt a little awkward for a little while but that has subsided. It really feels no heavier than a nice watch.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a medium size band, since based on the sizing chart my wrist height was exactly medium.
When I put it on though, I noticed that it gets too tight and uncomfortable when I close it to what I would see as a solid lock.
Having said that, I might exchange my band to large after all, since the only position where the band doesn't feel a little tight is when the end of the metal of the clasp is on the edge of the other side of the band and that just doesn't seem right. (essentially the rubber parts are aligned but do not overlap.
I also see imprints from the sensors on my wrist when I sleep with it, so the sizing chart might not have been that accurate (although I checked that is was scaled right).
Since this is my first fitness band and I wear my watches very loosely, I am also not an expert on how snug the sensors need to be to get good readings.
So in my case, the problem for the little discomfort is most likely the user :)

From a weight perspective though, the band is hardly a problem. My watches are usually heavier than the band.
Typing with it is also a non- issue for me.
Overall a quite positive experience.

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I have never worn anything on my wrist and find it okay. Yes, it is big and bulky but I kind of think that makes it look "cool" in a way.

For v2 they need to get rid of the open spaces so that it curves more to the wrist. The open spaces under the corners of the screen should be eliminated.

Vaxax

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Exactly! The screen doesn't necessarily need to be curved, but the underside of it (where the charge port is) *must* be more ergonomic in the next version.

Raynne413

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, I have very small wrists, and the fit just seems awkward to me. I have a slight feeling of numbness currently. I just started wearing the band about an hour ago, so I am going to try different fits and see if I can get used to it. I'd hate to have to send it back. :cry: Even if it does look ridiculously huge on my wrist. I'm worried if I loosen it enough to get rid of the numbness, it will slide around too much to get a heart rate reading, especially during my workouts.

dbregman

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
My wrists are bony as well. It was a little uncomfortable fornthe first day, but I think a combination of getting used to it and the band "softening " has made it comfortable to wear in the inside. It is still not quite as comfortable with the face up.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Over the past few days wearing mine I've noticed it will either be unnoticeable or a lead weight depending on how you're wearing it. A few pointers:
1) Make sure you're not on the part of the wrist where the bone juts out, if I recall this is a pressure point.
2) You don't need it really tight to make it function. It just shouldn't be sliding up and down the wrist
3) You should have full motion of the hand (I have a large and wear it above the bone in the wrist)
4) Some people have recommended wearing it below the bone more on the forearm, this didn't work for me, but may for you.
5) Readjust during the day, What's comfortable when you put it on most likely won't be comfortable at different times of the day.

That being said, I have a large and it seems to fit rather well... but since the screen size is the same on a small and medium, I could see how this would be different. Good luck.

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
4) Some people have recommended wearing it below the bone more on the forearm, this didn't work for me, but may for you.

This is exactly what I do and it's been perfect. An added bonus is that it turns out that when I'm typing, the bone on my wrist lines up with the end of the palm rest on my laptop. Therefore, putting my band below this bone allows me to type unhindered, since it will be resting off of the laptop and not on the surface of it. Also since this is the area where the sleeves end, my shirt doubles as an extra screen protector. When I have my wrists down on a table, the sleeve cushions and protects it. So far mine still looks like new (although when summer comes back again this will likely change).

Overall, I have skinny, bony wrists yet I haven't had a problem with my band and comfort. In fact when I first put it on I was shocked at how little I noticed it after. Based on some of the reviews that I was reading, people made it sound like it was huge and uncomfortable. It's actually not overly thick, at least in my opinion. You may see the outline of it through your sleeve, but it was never thick enough that it couldn't fit under it. The disclaimer to this is that today is day 4 of me owning my band. I don't think that this is enough time for me to truly have a concrete opinion. But so far things are definitely positive!

Also as someone mentioned earlier, Microsoft does have a 30 day return policy. So if you're reading this and you're on the fence, check it out for yourself and return it if you really don't like it. Or better yet, if you live near a Microsoft Store, stop by and check out the demo model.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I got mine yesterday. The first word that came to my mind was "chunky".

Even though it felt uncomfortable during the day, considering I haven't worn a watch in ten years, I hardly noticed it while sleeping.

Only problem is, during the day, the galvanic sensors is causing me redness on the skin, which I am getting around by moving the band up and down my wrist.

Also, surprisingly even though I have a history of tendonitis and also circulation issues, none of it was aggravated by the band

Last edited:

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
What I do to help is that I switch arms for night monitoring. So left wrist by day, right wrist when I got to sleep. That gives my skin a rest.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried both left and right arm. I've been wearing watches on my left arm for ages and I guess that's why I never feel the MS Band when I have it on that arm. I do feel it on the right though to a point that I have to switch it back. It's not comfortable turning my wrist to look at the display.
(I am wearing it on the inside of my wrists).

I ordered mine online and used the sizing sheet from the website (next MS store is too far away). Based on the sheet a large should fit. However, I am on the tightest setting and once in a while it gets a little loose. This is not the case on my right arm for which I am on the second last notch.
Anyway, I am exchanging mine for a medium at the moment. I was only wearing mine over the weekend before I shipped it back. The Band came with a charger that had pins completely bend outward (had to fix it with tweezers to get it to work) and the band itself had already scratches on the rounded parts of the display when I unpacked it.
Hope that was an outlier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)