Circumference of different sizes?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Now I hate starting semi-duplicate threads :p, but some other forum users and I are quite keen on finding out the circumference of peoples' wrists in relation to the size of the band that fits them (especially those of us that want to buy one from overseas).

To measure your circumference just grab a piece of string and wrap it around your wrist. Mark the point where the string overlaps and compare it against a ruler or something.

Much appreciated!! :D

jomargon

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a medium and I find the sides to be too loose. There's an obvious space at the side sof the band when I wear it. Band doesn't move and it's a bit tight using the second to the last tightness. Is that normal?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I actually tried all of them in the store, so fwiw:

Medium band
: wrist size of 7" (about 18cm) gets me to the middle of the adjustment range. Perfect fit.
Small band: wrist size of 7" / 18cm just barely fit on the widest band setting.
Large band: wrist size of 7" / 18cm leaves the band a bit loose even on the tightest setting.

The adjustment track is about 1" long, so that means roughly

Wrist sizes between 5.75" and 6.75" get a small (14.5 - 17cm)
Wrist sizes between 6.5" and 7.5" get medium (16.5 - 19cm)
Wrist sizes between 7.5" and 8.5" get large (19 - 21.6 cm)

Anything outside these ranges I would go and check in the store. I'm hoping we can make this a little more accurate as more people report back.

Thanks for that Joe920, darn I fall between the medium and the small (my wrist measures 16.5cm, but I wear my watches around 17cm), so I might end up buying both and seeing which one fits better on my wrist... and then I can sell the other on eBay or something :p

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Circumference is irrelevant. I know that sounds strange, but the Band isn't like a normal watch band.

The display section is as flat as a board - both top and bottom. The electronics (and display section) is the same size for all sizes. It's also quite long and tends to overhang the wrist. It also means the "width" at the top is the same for all sizes. The sides of the band itself is rigid, because that's where the batteries are. The remaining parts of the band are heavy rubber that's preformed into shape.

When you tighten a normal watch band, you're shrinking the circumference and applying pressure all around the wrist. But the Band is more like a trapezoid where only the bottom is adjustable. The different Band sizes are set by the height of the sides. Tightening the Band does two things: It pulls the sides together by narrowing the "bottom" (since three sides are rigid), and it slightly pushes the sensor package into the curve of the other side of the Band, pushing the sensor into the wrist.

The dimension that really matters is the "height" from the back of the display to the top of the sensor package. Since the underside of your wrist is quite sensitive, the pressure on that part of your wrist determines what is comfortable. And that is set by the height mentioned. And that's what's different for the different sizes. MS has a guide on the ordering page.

I've got a medium. To wear it comfortably, I've got about a 1/8" gap on either side of the wrist. If I trying to tighten it anymore, the sensor digs into my wrist and after some time it will start to hurt and/or my hand will go numb. I've tried other sizes in the store, but they're trade-offs, and not any better. So in my case, the band is gripping my wrist top/bottom, but not by the sides.

Bottom line, follow the MS guide for sizes based on height, not circumference. There's a reason for it.

At this point I think MS got the hardware "right", but the ergonomics needs some work. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 1.5G version come out - same electronics just packaged a little better.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's somewhere in between. The wrist thickness isn't the whole story, because people may have very wide wrists. And the circumference isn't the while story, because of the reasons you give. I think both methods should get you reasonably close though. Curious to hear from more users who are willing to grab a tape measure and compare their wrist size with the fit of their band.

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi. Wondering if anyone can offer tips on finding the right fit on the Band. Currently got the medium. Wrist is about 40 millimeters high with circumference of about 6.5 inches. The medium fits -- but cranked as tight as it can go. Would it be better to get the small and let it out?

It's difficult -- because the store is sold out.

Curious what others are finding about the maximum fit.

Thanks!

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully this will help people visualize the different sizes. This is a small, medium and large lined up in a row. As you can see, the display and the width at the display end is the same for all sizes.

I'm considering a switch from medium to large since it seems to place the HR sensor in a better location for me. I'm about mid-way on the medium.

I'd also consider which way your size may go. If you're going to lose a lot of weight, then maybe you should have more room on the small side. If you expect to build some muscle, then maybe you need some room on the expansion side.

Attachments

• IMG_20141101_185537472s.jpg
    IMG_20141101_185537472s.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 5

ktsi78

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I was trying to start a thread of my own asking people to share their wrist circumference for us European poor souls who are desperate about a Band and are willing to pay double price to eBay.

I get your point about the height of the wrist being the main variable here. However the damned sizing guide is no good. My wrist circumference is about 17 - 17,5 cm and i am thinking of ordering a M one.

Anyway, thank you for sharing that info!

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I seem to be about a 17.5 cm if I don't compress anything. It's about the mid-point on the medium band. But I'm seriously thinking about switching to the large due to HR measurement issues. The way I want to wear it (display out, on the wrist bone) seems to put the HR sensor right on a vein and it confuses it.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
The problem with the "wrist height" measurement is that it is hard to measure accurately without calipers, which I wouldn't expect to be a common household item for most people. This is even further confusing when the Microsoft sizing chart is only 2 mm different between the small and medium sizes (39mm or 41mm). I tried to make this measurement using a flat ruler and my best efforts come up with a variance between 38mm and 42mm. After visiting a Microsoft store, I decided on a medium which I wear on the second tightest setting.

For the record, my wrist circumference is about 6.875 inches (17.4 cm). I guess I understand the reasons for using the height as the sizing guide, but I still think it would be helpful if Microsoft would have also released the adjustable circumference range for each size of the Band since that is a much easier measurement to take and would still give a good baseline for getting a good fit.

quieterhue

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a 6" wrist. I tried on both the small and medium at the store and neither were particularly comfortable. Ultimately I bought the small. Though I preferred the height of the medium, it gaped too much on sides. I am currently trying to get used to the small and struggling with it.

I love the functionality of the band but the fit is super awkward on smaller wrists.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The problem with the "wrist height" measurement is that it is hard to measure accurately without calipers, which I wouldn't expect to be a common household item for most people.
That can be fixed with a trip to Home Depot. Since it's a one-time measurement, you don't even need to buy it. :wink:

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I have a 5" wrist. The size chart said medium, which I was skeptical of, but that's what I ordered. Turns out I am right between the small and the medium at about a 40mm height. I got poor results with the medium (on the tightest setting) because it wobbled around too much. The small is a smidgen tight sometimes, especially when I am hot, but I get really good tracking from it. I wear the small on the second tightest setting most of the time.

It's kind of an odd choice of fit characteristics. I knew I had small wrists, but it would have never occurred to me that mine was more "round" than most. Microsoft was super about the return, but I'd recommend in-person fitting whenever possible.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This thread, specially Joe920's post, helped me alot getting the right size. I have a skinny wrist for a guy and wasn't sure if the tightest clasp of the medium size would keep the band firm around my wrist.

I measured my wrist and found it around 6.5" (or about 17 cm) so I blindly ordered the medium size. I found it perfect for my needs. The tightest clasp is too tight and uncomfortable so I wear it on the 2nd setting, and I have plenty of room to grow some muscles!

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
It really is about the height. Two people with the same circumference could need two different sizes depending on how wide or narrow vs tall. To measure, I put my arm on a table, the stood a ruler up next to my wrist. Use a pencil across the top of your wrist to intersect the ruler to get a rough estimate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss